• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG custom magazines

insectguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2009
Chattanooga
I'm as frustrated as every other TRG owner with the sky high prices on Sako's sheet metal magazines, but haven't found any replacements available. Until now.

I've been in discussions with MH manufacturing, who makes custom magazines for ARs. They've said if they can get 200 Sako magazines sold, they could offer them at $50. These would be made from solid billet aluminum, and then anodized. The followers would be made from aluminum as well. Colors other than black are available, but we haven't discussed if there would be additional charges.

So, would there be any interest in something like this? They would be the vendor, so you would order directly from them. I'm getting nothing out of this other than the chance to buy some magazines for myself.

I don't know about TRG-42 mags. That would probably be discussed after the success/failure of the 308 mags was determined.

I'd be in for 4 42 mags for 338lm. Now if they could make 42 mags with lips that would feed 30-06 size cases I'd be in for 5 of those. Doesn't help this cause but it's on my wish list.

L

btw: Notching the front of 42 mags allows use in M995s so that's an additional market they could tap with those. You can't bend TRG mag lips (I've tried and failed miserably) so feeding 30-06 size cases or the ability to bend the lips to allow that increases that potential market for rebarrels in different non magnum calibers.

Last edited:
I would be in for 4 TRG-22 Magazines. Also would it be possible to make some 15 rounders? The current TRG-22 mags sit flush with the bottom so there is plenty of space to had more capacity.

My guess would be they could make them as long as you would want. I'm not sure if the same length dimensions could be used, as a milled magazine is thicker than a stamped one.my guess is the milled would have to be longer to accommodate the same number of rounds, but I'm not a machinist. If we get the requisite interest, I'll probably send my stock and mag to them for fit testing.

I'd like one for a 42 in 338lm. $50 seems cheap for a billet mag tho...
that's like European quality for a Mexican price!

They also said if they 20 or more, they would be $150. Now you see why I'm trying to get to the 200 price point.

I would be in for 4 42 .338lm if they keep the COL as good as the factory or better if possible.

Sorry, guys. If you add up the order, I'm not even close. If some benevolent soul with money to share wanted to be the Sako mag benefactor, they would receive the gratefulnes of the few purists among us.....