• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG folding stock advantages

Re: Sako TRG folding stock advantages

Well,
There a multiple tactical advantages to owning folding stock rifles. Many airborne units have utilized them. That is one reason.

Also for transport they can be easy to utilize. There is company making folding stocks for TRG rifles. Kinetic Research Group is their name. I just was talking with them on the phone today. I have a TRG as well. I do not have first hand experience with the stock but they do look much nicer than the original stock and much more functional as well.
http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/

Push button adjustments for lop, comb, butt pad vertically, built in monopod. Also they don't tell you this but the rear portion of the stock changes to steel attachment, it is much more stout attachment. It also gives you a pistol grip feel instead of thumbhole or standard vertical grip.

I am 6'6" so these features suit me very well and i absolutely love my gen 2 trg folder. Its expensive as hell but worth it to me.

The non-folder has some serious design flaws, take off the rear stock off the TRG and once you see how it is attached you will be buying a folder from either sako or KRG.

The folder makes cleaning a lot easier, too.

Serious design flaws?? I've had mine off several times and haven't bought a folder yet.

My folding stocks have come in handy while belly crawling through the thick brush hunting. One of mine fits in a really compact case that fits in the trunk of my friends economy car. Can't fit the Pelican 1750 in there. I don't think many people here NEED a folder but they sure are are convenient.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Serious design flaws?? I've had mine off several times and haven't bought a folder yet. </div></div>

I dont know if its a design flaw or not, but one tiny piece of metal and 2 screws holding it all together seems kinda flimsy. BUT, somehow the design has worked and is very sturdy and doesnt effect accuracy at all.

I would think if there was a design flaw or the rifle wasn't holding up well, all the countries that have adopted it would have considered another option.

I will agree that the design is inferior to AI just on physics alone. But I don't plan on falling down a mountain with it strapped to my back or dropping it over a cliff..at least I'm hoping not anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Serious design flaws?? I've had mine off several times and haven't bought a folder yet. </div></div>

I dont know if its a design flaw or not, but one tiny piece of metal and 2 screws holding it all together seems kinda flimsy. BUT, somehow the design has worked and is very sturdy and doesnt effect accuracy at all. </div></div>

Yep they could of at least had those two screws into an Aluminum Skeleton/Frame. Instead they pinch the rear stock between two pieces of metal with the synthetic stock in between. If a Good amount of pressure was to hit the bottom of that stock it would crack or clean break from that point through the hand grip.

For Designing a rifle from the ground up I would of at least done that part differently.

Now don't get me wrong I love the TRGs but all rifles have something that could be changed or done differently. I believe that all synthetic stocks should have at the very least a skeleton made of Aluminum to give strength. Sort of Like rebar for concrete. That is why I like the AICS and the KRG W3C chassis of which both weigh significantly more but are much more robust. I myself ordered the TRG folder from KRG.

Here is a pict from an earlier incident, but this is typically what happens.

img0139rl.jpg

Portability is a big plus! Here's a pic of a 20" TRG w/ KRG folder compared to an AR15 (16"). I was delighted to find it would fit in a M-4 case.

-John