• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG in .223?.......... Shooting Results!

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
I've been wanting to build another .223 for a while, looked at all the normal options, but my TRG has spoiled me.

The ergonomics of the TRG fit my long, lanky frame better than anything else I have been behind, and the trigger and accuracy are unbeatable. I have it set up as a switch barrel, with a 20" .308 and 26" 243 barrel.

So, my quest began when I bought a stainless steel Tikka Varmint (1-8 twist 23.25" barrel) several months ago to play with. I liked the gun, but the only stock option I was interested in was the Manners T2 or T5 with CDI bottom metal and it still wasn't a TRG.

I had seen pics of KRG's W-3 stock and started doing a little research and sent several e-mails and PM's to Justin with questions. He always answered quickly and fully. This stock sounded like what I was looking for, so I decided to wait for his next production run.

The stock arrived and I was very impressed with the quality and attention to detail displayed in the execution and engineering. I installed the Tikka barreled action and shot it for a few days to see what mods I wanted to do to make it fit me.

Those of you who know me realize I constantly tweak and mod everything I own, so please DO NOT think this is a criticism of the W-3 chassis. I think it is, by far, the best and most well engineered aftermarket stock I have seen, and I have been behind and handled about every aftermarket stock or chassis available.

Anyway, these mods will make the ergonomics of this stock almost identical to my TRG. If my eyes are closed, I cannot feel any differences. Everything that you touch while behind the gun is almost identical.....trigger, grip angle, cheekpiece, scope, and buttpad location.

Here are the mods I completed....

1. Added a TRG trigger, this was bolt-on except I had to exchange the longer mag-catch lever from the KRG trigger guard to the TRG trigger.

2. Cut the bottom of the action to fit AI .223 mags (NOTE: ALL Tikka's will need either this mod or modded mags to use the plastic AI .223 mags, regardless of chassis or bottom metal manufacturer). I cut the edge at a 25 deg. angle about .035 inch per side.

photobucket-5093-1318724991550.jpg

I had to slightly adjust the angle of the mags to assure reliable feeding regardless of front/side/angle pressure (like resting the gun on the mag, or pushing it hard against a barricade). The mags all insert easily and drop free when the mag release is pressed.

3. Stippled the frontstrap.
2011-10-18_18-17-54_624.jpg

4. Built a mag funnel, I was gonna make a full funnel like the TRG, but it was too much work, and this gives 95% of the functionality...
2011-10-19_21-12-22_514.jpg

2011-10-19_21-12-30_320.jpg

5. Made a new cheekrest, with an offset and profile to match my TRG. I covered it with medium density textured rubber, so my cheek doesn't slide off when I'm sweating. The stock W-3 cheekrest is centered and has a rounded profile that matches that on an AI chassis.

photobucket-669-1319040964011.jpg

6. Installed HK sling loops to match those on my TRG. One on each side of the buttstock and added a factory Sako TRG front mount with loop.

7. Cerakoted all the steel parts and the SS barreled action (I was also doing all the steel parts on my TRG, so there are more parts in pics).

2011-10-29_16-22-32_735.jpg

2011-10-30_11-37-50_253.jpg

2011-10-30_11-42-30_594.jpg

Continued....

Re: Sako TRG in .223? I made one........Almost!!

8. Duracoated the grip panels and forend Sako Green....

2011-10-30_11-39-06_259.jpg

2011-10-30_11-38-56_39.jpg

9. Added a factory Sako ball knob to the Tikka handle, I'm not fond of the baseball bat style.

10. Had to mod the Spuhr mount clamp rail to allow proper case ejection. Any bigger bodied case would require ejection port mods to use this mount....but it sure is nice!!

11. Contoured a few sharp edges, abrasive blasted the bolt body to stop reflection, and probably a few more things I forgot to mention.

Anyway, the finished (until I think of something else!!) product...

2011-10-30_16-44-04_550.jpg

2011-10-30_16-42-03_895.jpg

2011-10-30_16-42-25_433.jpg

2011-10-30_16-44-24_616.jpg

2011-10-30_16-42-39_497.jpg

2011-10-30_16-55-05_914.jpg

2011-10-30_16-56-09_238.jpg

2011-10-30_16-53-54_414.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice.
What front spigot are you using?
SScott </div></div>

I whittled these out myself, but Kasey at Accu-shot will have some out very similar soon.

Very nice job. I am a big trg fan as well, boy do i wish they made something like that.

Sharpest T3 I've ever seen!

Nice work Hellbender and with some good innovation going on too!

Your first comments made me laugh with the fits you great because your long and lanky. The exact same reason I like it, your version is a lot cheaper than my alternative of the trg gen 2 folder I am buying. Once you go trg its hard to want other platforms.

Nice set up!!!!!! What ammo u running? What is the maximum OAL u could get away with??

Wow, I'm really drooling over this one! Very nicely done, I love it.

Very impressed with your build.

Any chance of some details about the factory bolt you installed. I love the round type and am uncertain if you added a ball or replaced the entire handle as per the T3 tactical.

WOW.....I wish I could do something like that

You had me REALLY excited for a moment there. Still, great looking Tikka.

SB scopes now come with NF bikini covers?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shanksalot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice set up!!!!!! What ammo u running? What is the maximum OAL u could get away with?? </div></div>

I'll have a shooting report soon, the AI mags allow almost 2.5 inches of OAL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scotch egg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very impressed with your build.

Any chance of some details about the factory bolt you installed. I love the round type and am uncertain if you added a ball or replaced the entire handle as per the T3 tactical.
</div></div>

It's just an overpriced ball knob that Beretta sells, it goes on the factory Tikka handle and attaches just like the TRG knob.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/tikka-t3-sport-bolt-handle-extra-large/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alan_H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SB scopes now come with NF bikini covers?
grin.gif
</div></div>

Well, they are kinda expensive, I just buy the junk NF scopes for the bikini covers and toss the scopes.....:D

I was thinking about turning one of my TRG-22's into a 6.5x47L, any suggestions or words of wisdom.

For some reason, my computer won't show the pictures, but it sounds like a nice set-up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking about turning one of my TRG-22's into a 6.5x47L, any suggestions or words of wisdom.

For some reason, my computer won't show the pictures, but it sounds like a nice set-up. </div></div>

Send it to a gun plumber that is set up for TRG's, if they don't have the right tools and knowledge to pull the factory barrel, they can tweak the receiver. Three that come to mind are Chad Dixon, American Precision Arms, and GAP, I'm sure there are others, but I know for sure about these three.

The factory barrels are glued in and require heat to loosen. After the stock barrel is removed and the goop cleaned out of the threads, it's just like any other gun barrel that screws on and off.

KRG sells an action wrench specifically made to fit the TRG action, if you want to do it yourself, or make a switch barrel.

I already have the KRG action wrench, which I bought to help install Surefire brakes, and the future possibility of barrel swaps. Wasn't aware that the action required heat for barrel removal. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Looks absolutely amazing. With the way you painted it, it makes it easier for me to picture a TRG with the KRG stock/folder on it. Definitely want to go that way eventually, looks really good.

Shooting Results.....

#1. Started with the Hornady 80 A-maxs (my 1st choice):

Tried H4895, IMR 8208 and Varget, charges all up and down the scale, and bullet seating depths from .000 to .040" off lands.

No luck at all, all groups hovered around .8-1.0 inch. During 2nd day of testing, temps dropped to the mid-30's and viola!!, shots wouldn't even stay on paper, the twist in this gun was not totally stabilizing the long bullet.

#2. Next best choice, Hornady 75 gr. A-max:

Same, all three powders, various seating depths, etc.

This bullet seemed to shoot 2 groups within a group, 2 or 3 in one hole with the rest in another hole 1/2-3/4" away...consistently, checked it at 400 yards...same result.

Thought something may be loose, scope, bedding, etc., took everything apart and carefully reassembled...same result. Put back in factory stock....same result.

Grabbed a box of FACTORY IMI 55 gr HP (this is very accurate stuff in my other guns)....nice 1/2-5/8" round groups.

I guess it doesn't like Hornady A-max's !!

#3. Next bullet...Berger 75 gr. VLD...

Saw immediate improvement...

Settled on the following load:

Berger 75 VLD
Nosler Brass
Fed. GM205M primer
24.3 gr. IMR 8208

100 yards, I'm not a good group shooter, my son shot a couple of these groups (just to check myself). All groups were shot from bipod and rear beanbag.
2011-11-02_17-20-23_768.jpg

2011-11-02_17-19-21_9.jpg

2011-11-02_17-19-35_330.jpg

I consider 400 yards to be the real test...
2011-11-02_17-21-27_323.jpg

I'm happy, it's as good as I can shoot...and it's really cool to be able to see your own trace at 400 yards!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bout time
wink.gif
</div></div>

It's all your fault for singing the praises of that 80 A-max! I wasted a day and a half trying to get them to shoot just so I could keep up with your magical, mystical 6mm!!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bout time
wink.gif
</div></div>

It's all your fault for singing the praises of that 80 A-max! I wasted a day and a half trying to get them to shoot just so I could keep up with your magical, mystical 6mm!!
laugh.gif

</div></div>

super secret squirrel stuff, lol

Re: Sako TRG in .223?.......... Shooting Results!

Brad you have a sickness, and real talent!
grin.gif

Re: Sako TRG in .223?.......... Shooting Results!

Hellbringer, I wish god gave me the talent set he gave you....kudos!