• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAKO TRG-S M995 Questions

DShK

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2021
USA
I have always been interested in picking up a SAKO TRG rifle but could never justify the cost of the TRG-22. I recently learned about the TRG-S but am having trouble finding much information on it.

I am interested in the 30-06 version of the rifle buy cannot find basic information such as, for example, how much the rifle weighs unloaded without an optic. Furthermore, I do not understand the SAKO Optilock scope ring system. How common are 30mm Optilock rings? Is SAKO the only manufacturer of these rings? There seem to be two different versions (one-piece rings + mount versus a two-piece system) and I do not understand whether or not they are interchangeable.

Furthermore, there seem to be two different versions of the stocks that come on these guns. I keep seeing pictures of, I presume, older models with a black, somewhat textured, somewhat glossy stock but cannot find any information on how this stock is bedded, what it is made of, etc. Could anyone provide any information about this?

Finally, I keep reading that these rifles are quite accurate but I have no frame of reference. Do they perform better than, say, a new production Winchester Model 70? Are they more or less average in terms of similar cost bolt-action hunting rifles? Or are they something special being as they are built on the famous TRG action.

I would appreciate any input anyone here may have - thank you!

Try these:

I have some info to share, as I cut my teeth on a TRG-S as my first precision rifle. Needless to say, choosing one in 7mmRM helped me develop a flinch I still fight with today. . . . but I digress.

The TRG-S is indeed the famous TRG action (M995) with a sporter barrel and super shitty composite stock. Not only was the polyurethane foam over a plastic skeleton prone to breakage, the bottom metal was molded as part of the stock. There was no bedding. Just the usual Sako/Tikka recoil lug pressed into the bottom of the inlet.

The trigger wasn't bad at all, and accuracy was quite good. On par with today's Sako/Tikka hunting rifles. The Finns know how to build an accurate rifle, that is for sure.

The Optilock system is proprietary to Sako, but other systems work too. I originally used two-piece Burris mounts and rings on mine. One thing to note is the TRG-S action is not drilled and tapped for a picatinny rail. I had mine drilled and tapped later when I upgraded to a Picatinny rail.

I eventually turned my hunting rifle into a long-range target weapon. This required a new McMillan stock, and at the time, McMillan also offered replacement steel bottom metal. KRG also made a chassis for it that maintained the original TRG-S magazine. I also had the face of my action milled back 0.100" and a Remington-style recoil lug installed. That inspiration came from GA Precision, who was also overhauling TRG-S rifles into precision shooters. But GA Precision modified their TRG-S conversion rifles to take TRG magazines. (apparently only a mod to the magazine itself)

If you were to track one down now, IMO you'd be stuck with an outdated weapon that would be more difficult to customize and maintain than today's options. The only thing I miss about mine in 7mmRM was the fact that the action was exceptionally long. It was comfortably long even for a 338 Lapua. As such, I was able to run 195g Bergers all the way up into the neck, and still have plenty of room in the TRG-S magazine.

Addendum:

I've owned three and though I disagree with much of what @glock24 writes above, the last paragraph is on point.

The stock is good enough for a hunting rifle. The trigger is really good (same as in modern Tikkas). The action is long slick and sturdy... and long.

I've kept one and it sits in a TRG-42 stock chambered in 280AI which feeds flawlessly from the 42 300WM magazine. It's got a Near piccatinny screwed on. Pics posted in treads linked.

If you are thinking about going the cheap route to get a TRG-ish rifle. Don't. As a base for a custom long action hunting rifle build, it's excellent (if you can live with the down sides). If you're looking for a precision rifle to build of, get a Tikka.

Or save up for a TRG-22. It's worth it.