• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG torque specs??

cobra2210

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
Charleston, SC
I have just recently purchased this rifle (TRG 22) from euro optics and was extremely happy with the customer service I received and the quality of the sako. This is my first true "sniper" rifle and I am new to long range shooting and looking forward to testing my limits. I am however extremely OCD when it comes to my firearms and do 99% of the tinkering when it comes to dressing out my firearms myself. I planned on converting the factory stock to a KRG folder and adding a few other accessories which may require the action to be pulled from the chassis. I have searched the internet and this forum extensively for torque specs for this make and model firearm to no avail and was wondering if anyone had the factory specs or what you're running for torque specs on your personal setups?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

In the factory manual for the TRG 42 MMRS, it states:" In the case action screws have become loose they should be re-tightened with hex multitool to hand tightness. Testing has showed that the use of torque wrench is not necessary"

However, for those of us inclined to use a torgue wrench:

Action screws: 14Nm
Stock/forend screws: 4Nm
Trigger unit bolt: 10Nm
Cheek piece: 3 Nm
Butt plate: 4Nm
Muzzle break: 10Nm
Trigger assembly screws: 10Nm

Hope this helps. I confirmed these two years ago when I was a the factory for the launch of the TRG M10. These figures are for the standard TRG, not the M10. Different kettle of fish.

Never heard of a rifle where the action screws needed to be that tight (14Nm = 123.91 in-lb). But regardless thank you very much for the specs.

Beretta told me when I called that "all models" Sako and Tikka action screws are recommended to be set from 48 to 55 inch pounds.
You can call them to confirm this and see if they give you the same info 1-800-237-3882 (ext. 2003).

The TRG is the only rifle the factory had issued torgue specs for. I believe this is due to the fact that the TRG action mounts into the aluminium rail and cannot crush a wood or synthetic stock. On the Tikka T3 and Sako 85 they recommend hand tight and don't give torque settings at all.

The TRG is the only rifle the factory had issued torgue specs for. I believe this is due to the fact that the TRG action mounts into the aluminium rail and cannot crush a wood or synthetic stock. On the Tikka T3 and Sako 85 they recommend hand tight and don't give torque settings at all.

Don't take my word for it,
Call the number I posted above and see what they tell you.....
I would be interested if someone else gets a different answer than what I got.

I received this email advice from SAKO's R&D Dept., Finland, some years ago.

quote:
Normally, when rifle is assembled at the factory no certain torque is used. Comprehensive testing has showed that slight differences in fixing torque has practically no effect on accuracy on SAKO TRG, normal "hand tight" fixing is sufficent. However if you wish to use certain torque, values have been given mainly for law enforcement armourer purposes.

Action screws/ rear stock screws: 14 Nm
Trigger assembly screw: 10 Nm
Front stock screws: 4 Nm
Butt plate: 4 Nm
Muzzle Brake: 10 Nm
end quote

(14Nm=123.9in-lb, 10Nm=88.5in-lb, 4Nm=35.4in-lb, 3Nm=26.6in-lb)

I have always just used the supplied tool. I tighten until the wrench just starts to flex under the torque. It has works perfect many many times over for me. I also turn wrenches for a living and have a very good feel for when a fastener is in its proper torque range and this method seems to be just about right to me. So if you have a good feel for things then this method is just fine, if you are lost in the sauce when it comes to mechanical things then go with the recommended torque (65 lbin should be about all you need, any more you are just going to start galling the aluminum chassis over time). Not saying that I am an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Is the MMRS rail available in NZ as a retrofit?

In the factory manual for the TRG 42 MMRS, it states:" In the case action screws have become loose they should be re-tightened with hex multitool to hand tightness. Testing has showed that the use of torque wrench is not necessary"

However, for those of us inclined to use a torgue wrench:

Action screws: 14Nm
Stock/forend screws: 4Nm
Trigger unit bolt: 10Nm
Butt plate: 4Nm
Muzzle break: 10Nm
Trigger assembly screws: 10Nm

Hope this helps. I confirmed these two years ago when I was a the factory for the launch of the TRG M10. These figures are for the standard TRG, not the M10. Different kettle of fish.

Not as far as I'm aware. We've never imported one as far as I know. The standard TRG with folding stock yes, but not the full system with extended rails. You can get the ITRS accessory rail but it isn't extended like the MMRS setup. I took my ITRS off so I could use the sunshade on the Steiner 5-25 Military.
The advancements made in the TRG M10 for military use has superceded the MMRS system on the TRG. The M10 is in production but currently limited to LE and Military sales only. The standard TRG will continue to be made and it now has two of the M10 mods as standard. The new trigger mechanism and the second ejector plunger in the bolt.

Is the MMRS rail available in NZ as a retrofit?

Reviving this thread from the dead as I did some adjustments to the old TRG recently. I installed a KRG rear folder back on and am using a different bipod etc. and torqued the action screws down to 65 in.-lbs. and went and shot. Why 65? Because that’s what I’ve used on my Tikka for I don’t know how long and it’s always worked very well. I don’t know if it was a change of parts, new bipod, hiatus of shooting for a long time or what but I can say that my groups opened up a bit after the change of parts. Only time and more testing will tell. Yes, this is using the same ammo that was providing fantastic groups before. I made sure to use the same lot and all. It wasn’t a huge difference in group size but certainly enough for me to notice. Again, I don’t know if this is the change to torque specs, new mods or just me being out of practice but there was a difference and I just wanted to note it. If things don’t improve then I’ll torque to the specs posted above and see if that makes any difference. Gonna have to get me a new torque wrench tho as mine doesn’t read to 120+ inch lbs

Last edited:
I believe it is 10ft pounds if you have a torque wrench that does ft.pounds and goes that low.

I have a couple nice torque wrenches. However, none of them go that low. :(
Action screws torque is 10 Nm (88.5 in lbs/7.4 ft lbs, as per post #9 above (and it being standard torque for M6 screws).

Mounting a KRG folder does not require loosening all the action screws, only the most rearward one.

Reassemble and torque mid and front action screws first. Then mount the folder.

I have two TRGs, one KRG folder and switch around when needed. Never had any problems with groups opening up.

Best of luck.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Action screws torque is 10 Nm (88.5 in lbs/7.4 ft lbs, as per post #9 above (and it being standard torque for M6 screws).

Mounting a KRG folder does not require loosening all the action screws, only the most rearward one.

Reassemble and torque mid and front action screws first. Then mount the folder.

I have two TRGs, one KRG folder and switch around when needed. Never had any problems with groups opening up.

Best of luck.
I removed all action screws this time around for the addition of some other accessories up front. Barreled action had to come out

Reactions: CerebralDistortion