• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Same Old Aimpoint Vs EOTech

Re: Same Old Aimpoint Vs EOTech

Neither.

ELCAN SpecterDR is my fav
wink.gif

IMG_5266.jpg

I have two RRAs. My stainless barreld Rock has a Maetech BUIS, just like the military uses on their M4s and M16A4s for irons and an EOTech 552. I like it because the sights are cowitness but with irons flipped down I can use the optic as primary.
On my other RRA I use their Tactical carry handle with an Aimpoint M3 mounted in their low profile ring. With this setup I can utilize the standard A2 rear sight. To use the irons, they are very far in the bottom of the occular lense of the Aimpoint, kind of a PITA but they're back up sights. I prefer the M3 over the M2 since it has a 2 MOA dot though vs a 4MOA.
MCm4.jpg

Its a bad picture but you can see how I've got it setup with the Tactical carry handle and the Aimpoint. One plus I like about the TCH is that there is a little screwed in compartment for an extra battery. Very handy IMO.
Both setups work for me. You can't go wrong with either of the two optics. It comes down to personal preference.

While I like the 3x magnifier, I must say that I am a pretty die hard Aimpoint fan. I used an issued M68 in Iraq for 2 tours whenever I didn't have an ACOG in the weapon. Right now I am using T1 micros exclusively on my ARs. Why? Because they are small, light weight, block less peripheral vision (when shooting with both eyes open), and have a 5 years battery life.

mk18again037CR2.jpg

MoreUDE008.jpg

I had a lot of buddies using EOTechs in Iraq. I'll admit the sight picture is awesome, but I have seen the following problems first hand in combat:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Optic auto-powering off at the worst possible time[*]Batteries almost always dead at the worst possible time (battery life sucks) [*]Even after being torqued to the rail, I have seen these optics fall off for no reason whats so ever...same with the PEQ-2s...[*]battery doors fall off[*]EOTechs have poor resistance to heat. I seen one of these mounted on a handguard (which is a bad idea anyway) on a range on a hot day in Iraq basically burn up. The plastic melted and the glass was ruined. This is more of a operator head space and timing issue than an issue with the optic. Even so, Aimpoint T1s have been placed on Ultimac rails on AK which get stupid hot fast and they do just fine. [/list]

Albeit these were not rev. f and up, but it was enough to shake my confidence in the optic.

I perfer Aimpoints, there not fragile like EoTechs, battery life is almost 50k hours on a M3, the 2moa dot is perfect IMHO, the only time I would rather have a EoTech is when wearing NVG's, a flat piece of glass should be easier to find under stress versus a tube with goggles on.

EO Tech with a gas mask on.

Aim-Point in every other situation.

John

I have an old elcan, an eotech and an aimpoint. I use the aimpoint the most, then I love the elcan if the 3.5x mag is needed which is hardly ever. I will never buy another eotech. I think is a 552. Batteries dead, don't make contact, auto powers off. If would be on when I wanted it to be I would prefer it over the aimpoint. It is loaned out now and then be sent in some type of repair or something, it is junk now.

The new XPS eotechs seem to cure most if not all of the battery problems that all the other models have with the recoil causing the batteries to shock back and forth in the housing flattening the springs over time. The XPS carries the single cr123 battery sideways to cure the movement problem. Eotech claims a 500% improvement over the previous models while only using a single battery.

I have an XPS2 with the standard eotech retical and an aimpoint M2. I like the aimpoint for more precise shooting with the 2 moa dot, but the speed of the eotech is so far ahead of the aimpoint its not even comparable inside of 50 yards. Within 15 yards all you need to do is bracket the torso inside the eotech window and you will see good chest hits without even having it turned on...

I have had the eotech for about 10 years, and had an older eotech for the past two. I bought a new XPS 2 and just ordered another. The aimpoint has been moved onto a 22LR upper and will most likely stay there.

For CQB the eotech is hard to beat. Anything inside 100 yards is fast and easy with the eotech. if most of your shooting will be done past 100, buy an acog!

Aimpoint all the way. The EOTech's wash out in bright light to easy for me. Elcan makes a very nice looking reddot sight also, I'd like to try one at some point. It look's just like another sight they make that I love, great retical, very fast in CQB & good in long range shooting. It's called the Specter OS 3x, I think the reddot version is called the Specter RD. They used to be on SWFA but I don't see them anymore. IOR also has a nice looking reddot and it's priced very low, the only problem for me is it's a 5 moa dot and I like a 2 moa.

I don't have any experience with the new EOTech's, but the last two days we had it was stupid cold here.

MOST of our EOTech's had problems with dead batteries.

Up until a large warrant service operation I had been running the same battery for two years in my Aimpoint Comp M2.

I got a handfull of Aimpoint batteries from a guy in the ANG, so I am set for the next five to ten years.
wink.gif

I really don't see a reason for me to go with an EOTech. If I ever get a smokin' deal I may pick one up just for variety, but that's about it.