• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Same suppressor on different calibers?

planalpha

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2010
PNW
I saw a test that said "AAC 7.62SD 2008 (Also tested on AR15 in 223)" but there was no link. If I bought a suppressor for my 700 in .308 could I also use it on my AR in 223? Is this common? Any disadvantages? Sorry for the noob questions!

Thanks!!

Re: Same suppressor on different calibers?

Depending upon the mounting method it's entirely possible. If you have a 5/8-24 thread on the 308 and you want to run it on an AR15 you will probably need an adapter to make the 1/2-28 thread fit.

If neither barrel is currently threaded then you can just have your gunsmith thread them for the same thing (assuming the meat is there in the barrel).

A lot of guys with QD mounts that I know run 1 suppressor on about 5 different rifles.

I am running my SureFire 762K suppressor on my AR-15 as well as my 308 bolt gun. I just have to just run two different adaptors for the different rifle threading.

It works fine and doesn't void the warranty.

Chuck

I've used my friend's 7.62 suppressor on a 5.56. It works just as well as the 5.56 suppressor. The only downside is the extra size/weight.

Just don't put a 5.56 suppressor on a 7.62 gun!!!

Obviously the suppressor has to be big enough to work with the biggest caliber. then it work with smaller calibers also.

We actually had a clown on here that posted a pic of a 45 cal can mounted on a Sig Mosquito !! A WTF moment.Problem was,I think he was serious.

I had an adapter made to run my YHM 7.62 Phantom on my AR. Works just fine even with a Spikes Tactical .22 conversion kit in it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pachinko Pistola</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used my friend's 7.62 suppressor on a 5.56. It works just as well as the 5.56 suppressor. </div></div>

^^ Not sure I agree with this guy though.

So based on that, the 7.62 would work but not as well since the opening is larger. Do I understand that correctly?
As far as a mount and suppressor for my desire to run on both systems, any suggestions on gear?

Thanks again for the info!!

I have used my Shark on 308 260 bolt guns, AR10, and my AR15s, no POI, since it's light wieght it doesn't wiegh down the muzzle like POS stamped steel cans do

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used my Shark on 308 260 bolt guns, AR10, and my AR15s, no POI, since it's light wieght it doesn't wiegh down the muzzle like POS stamped steel cans do </div></div>

Quit calling my can a POS or next time I land at DAL, Im going to get on the loudspeakers and sing to you.

I have run my AAC 762SD (.30 cal can) and AAC M4 2000 (.223 can) on .223 bolt and semi guns. I can hardly tell any difference in sound reduction. The biggest difference is length and weight. The 762SD is one of the best deals for multiple hosts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: planalpha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So based on that, the 7.62 would work but not as well since the opening is larger. Do I understand that correctly?
As far as a mount and suppressor for my desire to run on both systems, any suggestions on gear?

Thanks again for the info!!</div></div>

Well the only gear I have experience with is the YHM Phantom (.308)QD and it will fit all YHM QD's of a lower caliber but not higher for obvious safety reasons. For my .308 bolt gun the Can came with the QD to fit on 5/8-24 threading. For my M4 I just ordered the AR-15 YHM QD (.223) and I was set with one Can for two rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used my Shark on 308 260 bolt guns, AR10, and my AR15s, no POI, since it's light wieght it doesn't wiegh down the muzzle like POS stamped steel cans do </div></div>

Quit calling my can a POS or next time I land at DAL, Im going to get on the loudspeakers and sing to you. </div></div>

I'll buy the beer

I am going to be using a 7.62QD on a .223,.243,.308 and 30/06 and a .22 can on a .17 HRM. It means heavier weight on smaller calibers but makes good sense as far as the money goes.

My YHM 7.62 can has QD attachments in a variety of threads to fit most anything. I am sure the others do also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: planalpha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So based on that, the 7.62 would work but not as well since the opening is larger. Do I understand that correctly?

Thanks again for the info!! </div></div>

In most cases the larger volume of the 7.62 suppressor will cancel out the disadvantage of the larger opening.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We actually had a clown on here that posted a pic of a 45 cal can mounted on a Sig Mosquito !! A WTF moment.Problem was,I think he was serious.</div></div>

Dont give me ideas. I've got a 1/2x28 adapter for my 45Osprey

Here is my YHM 7.62 Phantom on my ar15 via quick detach mount
DSC00216.jpg

I have mounted my aac 7.62sd on everything from my 300 mag to my .22 rifle (overkill I know) and it appears to be just as quiet on my .22 as my .22 suppressor is. The 7.62 flashiders are availaible in a varity of thread choices from 1/2x28 to 3/4 for mounting options, and its definatly within a couple deicibls of a dedicated can on my hk sl8, no way would I buy a dedicated 556 can if I ever thought I might want to mount it on a larger rifle, as the only advantage to the smaller can is a small weight difference, and that's definitly not enough difference in my honest opinion to spend another 500-800 dollars on a can and another 200 on a tax stamp

is the AAC 7.62sd rated for .300 win mag I know every other manufacture 7.62 can is. In the little booklet provided it says nothing higher than .308 and not to use .22 because of baffle strikes. I wish I waited for the new 7.62 sd with the miter mount..

I have ran my Omega 30 cal on a WSM all the way down to a 223.

The omega is rated for a magnum centerfire

I am purchasing a 308 caliber can soon which will be used on many calibers from 308-260-243-223. A larger caliber can will be slightly less effective on a smaller caliber, but not by much. Your biggest hurdle will be ensuring the thread pitch is the same, or have the proper muzzle adapters.

Kirk R

Mike Merve, aac sales rep told me that they would stand behind my 7.62sd on a 300 mag as long as the barrel was at least 26" long, that came directly from aac's sales rep, also the blackout flashider for the 51 tooth mount and the 18 tooth mount come in 1/2x28, 5/8x24 and also a 3/4x??? most ar's are 1/2x28 and standard on a 308 - 30 cal is 5/8x24 so aac is pretty accomadating in that respect, and I have shot a shit load of .22 ammo through my aac 7.62 can

I run a AAC 7.62SD can on .223, 6.5, 6.8 &308 with the appropriate QD attachment. There may be a difference if you had a decibel meter but the human ear will not be able to tell it.

Just make sure that you put the right adaptors on the right caliber. A .223 QD will NOT work on a 6.8. Trust me I had a brain fart and it cost me 6 bills to correct that lesson.

I own a 7.62SD from AAC and run it on a 17" GAP Crusader. I have a good buddy that runs the same can on his Rem700. He also wanted to run the can on his 5.56 LWRC w/ 16" barrel. He got the adapter and ran the setup. 2 mags in he had a end cap strike. AAC did warranty the can after it was determined the barrel was in specs. We still dont know to this day why it struck, but it did. I have heard other stories of this happening on a 5.56 AR15 so just be careful was route you take and do your research, buy once cry once.

I have heard of guys running extra heavy bullets in the ar's with a slow twist rate, I could see that causing a bullet to tumble or key hole but sometimes shit just happens, I will say this, AAC has damn sure taken care of me, I had a 7.62sd that had the old 18 tooth style mount that backed off after a few rounds and wouldn't stay tight, aac told me to send my can in, they would inspect it and if it was defective they would replace it, to make a long story short they sent me a new 51 tooth miter mount 7.62sd and all it cost me was the tax stamp and I still have my old can, can't beat that!!!

they took good care of me also, but it did cost me half of a new suppressor-it was my fault, not theirs, so I thought that was fair. Ity also cost me the 2 bills for our govt and wait time for the new paperwork to go through.

I have heard of baffle strikes also but in those cases, from what I have been told it is usually form the suppressor not being properly put on or the suppressor working loose. I keep a nomex glove along and check the tightness after several shots. No automatic fire with my weapons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rifleman1981</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard of guys running extra heavy bullets in the ar's with a slow twist rate, I could see that causing a bullet to tumble or key hole but sometimes shit just happens,...</div></div>
It pays to determine whether the bullet/barrel combo is stable before risking your can to it.

I run a Gemtech HVT 308 can on my 308's and then I bought a 1/2x28 QD for my AR's - the suppressor is heavy for a carry M4 but I did use it on a 223 SPR (DPMS Mini-SASS - 18" barrel) and it worked really well. But, then I got a AAC M4/2000 and I use it. It is lighter and smaller and just works better on the 223's. I would not hesitate to run my HVT on the 223's as it did work well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rifleman1981</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike Merve, aac sales rep told me that they would stand behind my 7.62sd on a 300 mag as long as the barrel was at least 26" long, that came directly from aac's sales rep, also the blackout flashider for the 51 tooth mount and the 18 tooth mount come in 1/2x28, 5/8x24 and also a 3/4x??? most ar's are 1/2x28 and standard on a 308 - 30 cal is 5/8x24 so aac is pretty accomadating in that respect, and I have shot a shit load of .22 ammo through my aac 7.62 can </div></div>
It makes sense that the 7.62 SD would work on a .300 win mag but my dealer was like oh no way, thanks for confirming that!

call Mike at aac, super nice guy and will tell you straight up how it is and what he will and won't cover