• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns Sams Custom Gunworks

RCS1278

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2012
Southern Oregon
Hey guys, Ive been a plastic gun type of guy for all of my adult life but I am starting to get the 1911 itch. I have looked at a lot of custom gunsmiths online and heard some great things about David Sams. Anyone have any thoughts or pics of his work?

David Sams rebuilt my Hi Standard, and it looks and functions great. I may send it back to have the barrel re-lined. He does custom work for Hi Standard.
He is a former AMU armorer, and came highly recommended from a former AMU guy I "know' from another forum.
I spoke to Dave about a 1911, and as most 1911 smiths are, he has his opinions. He would prefer to build a gun from the ground up, and he has about a one year wait.
You'd have to talk to him about tuning up a gun, or building one. Check out his web site. I'm seriously considering having him build me a bullseye gun, & I don't even compete. He's definitely getting my BuckMarks for work.

Having said all that, are you sure a custom gun should be your first foray into 1911's? If this is your first?
You might be better off starting with a high quality production gun, like a Colt or Springfield Armory, shoot it for awhile, play around with it, then you'll know what you want in a 1911 then spend the big money.

Bob

David Sams rebuilt my Hi Standard, and it looks and functions great. I may send it back to have the barrel re-lined. He does custom work for Hi Standard.
He is a former AMU armorer, and came highly recommended from a former AMU guy I "know' from another forum.
I spoke to Dave about a 1911, and as most 1911 smiths are, he has his opinions. He would prefer to build a gun from the ground up, and he has about a one year wait.
You'd have to talk to him about tuning up a gun, or building one. Check out his web site. I'm seriously considering having him build me a bullseye gun, & I don't even compete. He's definitely getting my BuckMarks for work.

Having said all that, are you sure a custom gun should be your first foray into 1911's? If this is your first?
You might be better off starting with a high quality production gun, like a Colt or Springfield Armory, shoot it for awhile, play around with it, then you'll know what you want in a 1911 then spend the big money.

Bob

Yeah it would be my first. I was kinda considering a Colt or a Wilson Combat but the MEU SOC clone, which appears to be a dying breed from custom shops, was a little more that a Wilson CQB. I think I would rather cry once....

Theres nothing special about a MEU-SOC gun. It's just another 1911. Dave Berryhill used to build MEU-SOC style guns, old style and new style. I think he used to have a copy of the original style sight also. It's just a collection of parts that someone else thought were the shit..or what they could get. Why are you wanting a MEU-SOC?

If you just want a range gun, there's plenty of good 1911's out there. If you want a hard use carry gun, it get's a bit more complicated. It's not like buying a Glock.

If money is no object, go for it, I suppose. I don't see the point in spending 2K+ on a gun based on, what exactly? Not that I'm against 2K+ guns, just not out the gate...

You can buy a Colt XSE and have good gun, shoot the snot out of it, take a 1911 operators class with someone like Vickers or Hilton Yam, and see what's what with 1911's...and figure out what you really want out of one, and which parts you want.

Theres a lot of good info at 10-8 Performance and Modern Service Weapons, on 1911's...

Bob