• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Samson Evo rail or something else? Need advice and input

Hawk Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2007
Mobile, AL
I have a RRA Entry Tactical that I want to put a free float rail on and grind down the front sight post. I'm changing optics up and would prefer flip up sites so they are not always in the optic's FOV (going 1-6, or 1-8). I don't have a lot of experience tearing AR's apart beyone field stripping nor do I have all the special blocks and tools.

I have a VTAC tube on another AR and like the feel. I like the looks of the Samson, and from some install videos I've seen, it looks like something I can install with the tools i have around the house. Anybody have experience with these?

I'm open to other suggestions as well but trying to keep this project in the 200.00 range.

I used their 12" Evolution rail on my last two builds and love them so far. Looks great on a 16" barrel, installation was a breeze (uses the standard barrel nut, just snap on their two mounting pieces over the nut and slide the entire rail system onto that, and tighten two bolts and you're set), and there's no play once the rail is tightened down. Nice and light, too.

Personally, I think the VTAC is a better built and I have one and also have an EVO. The EVO is pretty easy to install and uses a std barrel nut like mentioned above. I do think the VTAC is sturdier but both are decent. I like the Samson Star much more but it is also much more expensive too. YMMV

I've got a 15" Evo on an 18" competition rifle and it works great. I like the profile and overall width of the rail for really clamping down on the rail.

-Sean

I have a Rainier Arms 12.37" which is made by Samson 11 ozs. if I recall correctly

FacebookAR1_zps321019db.jpg

John

Barrel is a BHW 18" rifle length gas