• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

F T/R Competition Sandbag or Squeeze Bag?

brshtr

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2012
Georgia
Sorry for all the bag questions, but I am new to this sport and you guys know a lot.

Given a choice between (a) a sandbag with ears, like a Protektor-type bag (which is what I am using now) and (b)a squeeze bag/bean bag that does not have ears, which do you prefer and why? Thank you.

Dave

Re: Sandbag or Squeeze Bag?

In general, you'll be squeezing regardless of what style bag you end up going with. I personally do not like the bunny-ear style, they don't seem to recoil well given my style of shooting. I prefer a plain sand bag that I can manipulate a little (without the "ears" to direct (or misdirect) recoil).

I place the bag on some sort of a slick surface under the butt of the rifle. This allows me to make very fine adjustments without disturbing the "fill" of the bag, and subsequently launching my next shot "somewhere else".

I have seen both style of rear bag be very successful, it just depends on what you like.

Darrell

i need to try that "slick surface" trick
wink.gif

I use a canvas bag with polypropylene beads filled with what I think is an ideal amount. I also do not like shooting with bunny ear type bags, though plenty of people do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrell Buell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I place the bag on some sort of a slick surface under the butt of the rifle. This allows me to make very fine adjustments without disturbing the "fill" of the bag, and subsequently launching my next shot "somewhere else".
</div></div>

Darrell, can you be a bit more specific about what you place under your rear bag? As I understand F-T/R rules (which ain't a whole lot) there are restrictions on what can be placed under a rear bag and its size. I don't like bunny ears either, and just getting started myself, I'd like to know specifically how you sandbag users do it. Yeah, I know ... I've got to get to a match soon to take a look at it all.
laugh.gif

can't stand bunny ears either, I use an old lead shot bag filled with rice, I have several of them with different loads of rice to get me pretty close to the bull so I only have to squeeze a minimum amount.
getting to watch the US F TR team shoot helps a lot too.

Hi-Rez, this should be a pic of my rifle, more or less as I use it. Note the sandbags in the rear. Typically, I will have them sitting on something slick, small flexible plastic sheet, or even a magazine if I'm overseas, traveling light. Just something to allow the bags to slide effortlessly fore and aft.

side%2520view%2520FTR%2520rifle%2520small.jpg

I'm also a "no bunny ears" person. Use homemade bags filled with navy beans. I have two and use which ever one does the best job with minimal squeeze.

Never tried the slippery surface "trick". For bad or good I've got use to shooting with the rifle planted in the ground and take the full brunt of the recoil in my shoulder. This means I usually have to fiddle with the bag for each shot.