• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Sandman Ti not concentric.

loveha

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jul 31, 2018
    NW Lower Michigan
    I just picked up my very first can Friday, and the first thing I did was screw it on a rifle I have been waiting to put it on. The barrel is 12.5" and hand guard is 17". I noticed as I was screwing the can on it seemed to wobble and when tightened there was visibly less space between hand guard and can at the 12 o'clock position than at 6. So I screwed it on to my other two ARs, an AR 10 and AR 15 and observed the same thing. I looked down the barrel from the charging handle side on two of the guns and could not tell any significant difference if I could see the can or not so I sent two rounds down my home range with no baffle strikes.

Upon closer examination of the rear of the can, I can see a gap, the thickness of a sheet of paper between the tube, and the mount like it wasn't pressed on straight or all the way. Then upon closer examination of the end cap, there is a very small copper deposit on the inside of the cap the can would angle to. I wish I would have mounted the can to the rifle while I waited for 11 months...then I could have had this taken care of while I waited.
    Called Dead Air and left a message. See if they return my call. I know shit happens, but you would think they would chuck these on a lathe attached to solid bar stock or something to make sure everything is good before sending it out the door.

Thinking I should buy a 3' section of 19/64 drill rod. I'm not paying Geissele or Surefire prices for basically the same thing.
    Just venting, but so frustrating. Expected better from Dead Air and a brand new can.

Sorry to hear this man, humans make mistakes unfortunately but I’m sure dead air will right this wrong. If they don’t get back to you soon shoot me a message I know a few tricks to getting ahold of the right people.

Never got a return phone call.
    Even though I said I wouldn't buy a Geissele alignment rod, I did any ways. I at least wanted an RMA number of my suspensions were true.

Edit: Called them, got a hold of somebody and getting a prepaid shipping label. Still should have gotten a call back though...

Last edited:
    Got alignment rod, confirmed my suspicions on two rifles. An early Sig 716 (Green Mountain barrel? Don't think anybody truly knows.) and a Proof carbon barrel. Rod was brushing on end cap, and moving to other barrel changed location of where it touched. Can should arrive to them today some time according to tracking.
    Email responses have been quick at least. Shot one to them letting them know it was indeed shipping to them and had a response within the hour.
    So hoping to have it back next week.

I have a couple of Dead Air cans. I have never had a problem with them but when I have called them, they have always answered my question quickly. I got my first Dead Air TI when they were just coming out and they were rated to 300 WM. I asked about running it on my 28 Nosler and they said "Sure! We were being very conservative with the 300 WM and if it gives you any trouble we will send you a new one." So I feel certain they will take care of you in a very short timeline. You are going to enjoy it and plan on buying another....

Here is list of the Drill rods that fit from McMaster Carr, much cheaper than Geissele :

• .2031" - P/N 8893K187 - Good general purpose rod for 22 caliber suppressor alignment - should work well for distinctly undersized match .22LR bores (think CZ452/455 at .210-.212" bore diameter), but otherwise may be a slightly loose fit;
    • .212" - P/N 8893K191 - Better fit for many standard 22 caliber bores (.22LR at .217" bore diameter, .223/5.56 at .219" bore diameter, etc.)
    • .250" - P/N 8893k204 - Good fit for 6.5mm Creedmoor/Grendel bores (.256" bore diameter);
    • .295" - P/N 8893K217 - Good fit for 7.62x39, .308, 300BLK and most Western 30 caliber bores (.300" bore diameter)
    • .339" - P/N 8893K229 - Good fit for 9mm (.346" bore diameter)
    • .4219" - P/N 8893K252 - Slightly looser fit for .45 ACP (.442" bore diameter). Stepping up to a .4375" rod (P/N 8893K254) may generally work, but could be too tight for rare cases.

I had an issue with one of their E-Brakes (It would not screw on to my Sandman-K. Other end caps and the Nomad E-Brake worked fine). I emailed them with some pictures. They responded the same day, asked for my address and sent me a replacement. Once I verified that the new one worked, they emailed me a FedEx shipping label for the bad one.
    Total time from email to replacement product in-hand was two days.
    I could not be happier with their response and support.
    In general, I hate talking to people on the phone. I prefer email. So when a company responds to my emails, it works better for me.

Last edited: