• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sanity check my upgrades please

hemigtx

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2011
Kitsap County, WA
Hey guys, been reading SH regularly for a long time but this is my first post.

I picked up a R700 SPS Tac, threw a SS 10X scope on it, and dropped the whole thing into an AICS with a Harris bipod and Accushot monopod.

Handloaded 168gr and 175gr SMKs in M118LR cases. Worked loads up using R15 and Varget. At 100 yds using 168gr SMKs the rifle would put 5 rds just under 1" if I kept the velocity down. Pushing them faster opened the groups up significantly. I got nowhere near the top of the pressure scale before I broke off testing due to poor accuracy. Though it's been a few months and my memory is pretty bad these days, I think the sweet spot was around 40 grains of R15?

175gr SMKs didn't shoot as well as the 168s and higher velocities resulted in patterns (2" at 100 yds) vice groups.

So now that I'm deployed, I've decided to upgrade my rifle and absorb the long component leadtimes now rather than wait until I return. Ultimate goal is to shoot 175gr SMKs to 1000 yds (longest range in my area) from a rifle that I could hump all day without problems.

Below is what I'm thinking:

1. Krieger stainless steel 1:11.25" #17 contour barrel cut down to 22". If I recall, stainless can be cerakoted?
2. Surefire MB762-211C muzzle brake. Suppressor is a distinct possibility in the future.
3. Badger 20 MOA base, bolt knob, and recoil lug.
4. Hose the whole thing in black cerakote.
5. 5-25x56 illuminated S&B PMII with MSR reticle.

My plan is to purchase all the components and then send the rifle/parts off to the gunsmith to be assembled. I want to have the action trued and am open to buying a PTG bolt and bedding the action if the gunsmith thinks that that is necessary. I sent an e-mail to the gunsmith (member here). No response yet, but I'm sure he's very busy so no big deal. I do want to get the barrel on order though, so I thought that maybe you all could give me some suggestions.
Am I off-base on any aspect of the barrel (length, material, twist, contour)?

Thanks in advance for your opinions/suggestions.

Danan

Re: Sanity check my upgrades please

Looks like a good list of components to me. Your level of accuracy with pretty accurate projectiles at 100 yards is somewhat puzzling. Was the spread vertical/horizontal/both? Did you chronograph it? If not I would consider investing in a Chronograph if you plan to handload.

You can handload without a chrono, but I personally have more faith in the chrono to tell the truth of the load than my trigger finger. Sometimes I'm tired, hungry, cold, have a headache, haven't eaten, whatever and all that can affect your group size. The chrono doesn't lie though, if you have low SD/ES numbers, you have 'all else being equal' a very accurate load.

40g of RL15 sounds low as well, I loaded 175s with 44 grains and it was very accurate. 1/2 MOA or better.

Nice list of components though, should shoot very well for you.

Rich

My only thought is that if you are going for a hump-able rifle, you might consider a lighter barrel. According to Krieger's website the 17 is a 7lb barrel. The AICS isn't exactly light. A Rem varmint/sendero or light or standard Palma would save you 2 to 3 lbs.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't have a chronograph yet (I knew that would be the first thing someone asked, LOL). The RE15 loads that shot well were below the Sierra manual's "accuracy load" and the recoil was very mild. I wish I had access to my notes, but they are around the world from me.

44.5 grains of Varget was REALLY bad, close to 3" groups at 100 yds. Overall, the Varget was not anywhere near as accurate as the RE15 in my rifle. Because the accuracy of the loads was always repeatable, I don't feel that it was the nut behind the gun that was loose. I figured that the 1:12" rifling was not adequately stabilizing the 175 gr SMKs at the higher velocities?

Regarding the barrel contour: I'm really conflicted here. I was vaccillating between the #17 Hvy varmint and the #14 Heavy or #15 Std Palma. I tend to shoot 5 or 10 rd groups, so the factory barrel gets warm on my SPS Tac and I get horizontal stringing (typically results in a ragged 'slot' cut in the target). Maybe I'm overly concerned about barrel mass? I have to say, a 5.5 lb (less, after I have 4" chopped off of it) #15 contour barrel does sound nice...

Standard palma is a good idea. You also don't need bedding with an AICS chassis, so can cross that off the list. Having the action trued is probably worthwhile if you're having a new barrel installed anyway.

Krieger will install and chamber the new barrel but won't accurize the action and takes a while, so you're probably better off using one of the great gunsmiths here.

44.5 grains of Varget in a lake city case is probably too high - most people end up around 43-43.5gr at the most. You might want to do a ladder test from 42.5-44 grains and see if you find an accurate load with a lower charge.

Not sure about your loads, never used varget or RE15, but I do know that my stock Rem 700 VSSF stabilizes the 175's WAY BETTER than the 168's. 168's are good, but I find 175's to be best. This is especially true if you are shooting to 1000 yards. Even at 600 yards (4200 ft elevation), the 168's perform markedly worse than the 175's out of my 308.

I gave up on 168's and just use 175's now. Easier to make 1 load for my rifle.

The components sound good. You may look at Chad Dixon (www.longriflesinc.com) and chat with him a bit. He is building my rifle (when all the parts get to him), and I have seen the results of his work. Top notch in fit, finish, and performance. Not saying anything bad about the other smiths here, as I feel they are all masters of the art of building rifles. I just had to make a decision, and his pricing was "just" slightly better than others.

If you go with most smiths, they likely have or use a specific .250" recoil lug and then pin it to the receiver.

If you go with a PTG bolt, prepare to buy a bolt knob also.

Most of the barrels are top quality. Rock Creek, Kreiger, Brux, Obermeyer (sp?) are among the many. Check out www.bugholes.com for a list of barrels. He stocks a ton of barrels and is pretty up to date on stock.

If you have never shot a rifle with a suppressor, you don't know what you are missing. Put that on your list while you are over sees. I don't know the wait time on the ATF form, but do get one. Plenty of dealers here, and a lot of group buys going on now.

Wally

Hi Ogreshooter,

Actually, Chad Dixon is the gunsmith that I chose to do this work. I really like the way he thinks, based on reading his posts for the last year or more. I sent him an e-mail through his website outlining what I wanted the rifle to do (shoot 175gr SMKs to 1000 yds), and my tentative list of components and required machine work.

My budget will allow either a S&B scope or a suppressor. I've used the S&Bs enough (mostly on M107s) to know that though I want a suppressor, I NEED a good scope! LOL..

40 grains is way low. Whose loading data book are you using? The 168 Sierra Match King was originally designed for 300-Meter Olympic shooting. The 175 was designed around the 1000-yard 155-grain "Old" ogive Palma bullet.

Think about the Palma profile if you're going to actually carry it afield and up and down mountains or rough terrain. Heavier if you're just moving it cased from the trunk to the firing line and off a bipod -- especially with a heavier scope and base (the Schmidt).

Remington factory barrels are throated long. You could have a gunsmith true your action and set the barrel back a quarter-inch so you don't have a lot of free-bore jump and reduce initial gas blow-by. Many recommend a new barrel while you have it off, but I'd recommend shooting out the first one just to save pennies (helps take the sting out of the Schmidt and reloading components premium).

22 inches is handy and nicer to carry -- the additional 2 inches to 24 gives you just enough extra velocity you won't have to worry about keeping a 175 supersonic at 1,000 (at sea level in the summer). M14s were cut to 22, and if you're shooting it at elevation you won't ever have problems. Ideally with a 175 you want at least 2550 fps.

Commercial Winchester or Lapua brass will give you just a skosh more volume for powder charges than a Lake City LR or Match case.

I personally don't think you're going to find the best accuracy off a bipod than you are off of fore-and-aft sandbags.

Just a plain-Jane 700V, Jewell trigger, barrel set back, Tubb lug, Szablewski Sabreco ball bolt knob, Surefire brake. It's in the shop now getting fitted with TacticalRifles.net bottom metal.

2m4dkds.jpg

Sinister,
Good to know on the barrel length. I'm definitely at sea level. I have no problem adding 2" to the barrel now that I've decided to go with the std palma contour. Thanks for the input.