• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sanity Check on build/soliciting feed back on a couple of discreet points

TacosGigante

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
VA
Hi all,

I have decided to do a build this year and would like a sanity check to see if I have forgotten anything/tap into the cutting edge of the current knowledge pool.

Purpose: Initially and primarily a hunting rifle for deer. Will mostly be used in WV/VA, so no shots over 150 yards if that. I want something light and handy but it doesn't need to be mountain rifle feather light. I might stretch it into some tactical, and would like to be able to rebarrel at home easily. I hope this is a buy once/cry once affair and want it to be as well supported by the aftermarket as possible. I want to DIY as much as possible, but given my skill set and available tools that will mostly mean screwing things together rather than any cutting/bedding. Added difficulty - I am left handed.

Proposed Build:

Action - Bighorn TL3 (LH) DLC coated, AICS cut (I have heard mixed things about this action's reliability, but the people who like it seem to have more experience with it than the people who don't and I do like the floating head. There are also some available for leftys out there now)
Stock - Manners T (or maybe TA) in Elite Carbon with Mini Chassis G2 DBM (The adjustable option adds a fair amount of weight, but I worry if I don't have it I will regret it later, however it is unclear how easy it is to adjust on the fly, which may limit the value.)
Trigger - Trigger Tech Special
Barrel - This is an area I am torn on. I want something handy and am going back and forth between a 20" Proof 6.5cm or a 16.5" or 18" 308, and if I go that route debating how to get the barrel light without compromising rigidity, accuracy, etc. If you put a gun to my head right now I would pick the Proof, but am open to change.
Optics - Given that this will at least start life as a hunting gun I am thinking about something like a Swaro Z6i 1.7-10 or Leupy VX6HD, with the idea I could take the scope off and replace with a tac scope if I want to do competitions. If there is a good tactical/hunting FFP scope that doesn't weigh a ton and has a good low end mag setting/light gathering/resolution please let me know. (UPDATE - I ended up going with a Leupold VX5HD 2-10x42. No, it isn't as good as a Swaro but I got a good deal on it and figure the extra $1+k can go to something else like a dedicated tac scope).

So, what terrible mistakes am I making?

Last edited:
The manners comes with KMW logger head hardware for the cheek. It’s really not meant to be a quick adjust deal, but I can’t see you should need to adjust it that much. Uses an Allen key to tighten/loose in the clamp, and a big E clip for returning to previous height easily. It’s about as nice as cheek hardware gets, but does add some weight.

No reason not to do a proof if that fits in your budget. They do make a 20 inch 6.5 creedmoor prefit for the tl3 also. No reason to do a 308 imo.

Put an MK5 3.6-18 on it, IMO.

A 20" Proof in 6.5 cm is awesome. Buddy has one that is quick pointing. Unless you are going to be going in and out car doors, you don't need an 18".

The AG composite adjustable stock is fantastic.

Reactions: DocT
Hello:
If you are planning some tactical, may I suggest that you get the gen2 Z-6i 2-12 x 50. Once you get that thrill of hitting steel targets at over 500 yards, you will want a little more "scope". I have the old Z-6 3-18 x 50 and this is for me perfect hunting and tactical scope. I wished that I would have gotten illuminated so don't skip that. With this glass, I feel that I don't really need it. I can see very well pass legal lights and especially if you have it at 3x. I hope this is of help. Great scope, as I use glasses, and this one, fits me well.

Reactions: hereinaz
I have eh3 on a build similar to yours and I purchased a xlr magnesium chassis last year to build a gun for my girl. I wanted to try out the chassis so I put the surgeon, proof carbon 6.5cm barreled action in it and shot it a good bit that way. The xlr is lighter and had more functionality than the manners. Will probably end up selling the manners and getting another XLR.

I've had both the T and TA versions of the Manners. Assuming you run a scope ring height that's typical for a hunting rig, I'd go with the T and then a stock pad/pack. It's really a matter of personal preference, though. I've got no issues with the KMW hardware, it's just that I'd prefer a stock pack in this particular situation in the name of weight savings and utility.

Reactions: TacosGigante
150 yards = no scope necessary
winchester3030-header.jpg

Or, since you’re East of the Smokies...
593821.jpg

I have almost the exact rifle, love it for hunting and shoot it a ton on paper/steel.
Tl3
Manners T
TT special
Proof 20”
Badger M5
I think you’ll be happy with it for sure!

Attachments

• 9C960CD3-A57C-440C-802A-C4F95EBE63A4.jpeg
    9C960CD3-A57C-440C-802A-C4F95EBE63A4.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 53
I have almost the exact rifle, love it for hunting and shoot it a ton on paper/steel.
Tl3
Manners T
TT special
Proof 20”
Badger M5
I think you’ll be happy with it for sure!

That's hot.

I've had both the T and TA versions of the Manners. Assuming you run a scope ring height that's typical for a hunting rig, I'd go with the T and then a stock pad/pack. It's really a matter of personal preference, though. I've got no issues with the KMW hardware, it's just that I'd prefer a stock pack in this particular situation in the name of weight savings and utility.

Good call. Also, while this rifle is clearly not an XM3 build, I would like something XM3-ish and the stock pack adds to that aesthetic.

Here's what I put together, it's pretty close to what you're proposing.

Manners MCS-TA
Zermatt TL3 SA
Proof 20" CF in 6.5CM
Triggertech 2-stage, flat shoe

Scope will be a S&B 3-20x50US.

Rifle as pictured is right at 7lbs.

I own a 18.5" barreled 308, and would recommend sticking with the 6.5CM as you mentioned. You mentioned the XM-3 style, and keep in mind that's a #7 taper barrel, which is a boat anchor. If you're thinking about the XM-3 in terms of trimming weight, I can assure you this is NOT the case (I can post pics of this taper if you'd like). If you mean something else by "XM-3-ish", please clarify.

Also, if you don't have the gear to assemble the rifle, keep in mind the boys at Altus will do an assembly and function check for a small fee. You'll pay more in shipping than a shop fee, but it might be worth it to you. In all, it sounds like you've put together a solid build.

Attachments

• TL-3_1.jpg
    TL-3_1.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 25
  • TL-3_2.jpg
    TL-3_2.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 28
Here's what I put together, it's pretty close to what you're proposing.

Manners MCS-TA
Zermatt TL3 SA
Proof 20" CF in 6.5CM
Triggertech 2-stage, flat shoe

Scope will be a S&B 3-20x50US.

Rifle as pictured is right at 7lbs.

I own a 18.5" barreled 308, and would recommend sticking with the 6.5CM as you mentioned. You mentioned the XM-3 style, and keep in mind that's a #7 taper barrel, which is a boat anchor. If you're thinking about the XM-3 in terms of trimming weight, I can assure you this is NOT the case (I can post pics of this taper if you'd like). If you mean something else by "XM-3-ish", please clarify.

Also, if you don't have the gear to assemble the rifle, keep in mind the boys at Altus will do an assembly and function check for a small fee. You'll pay more in shipping than a shop fee, but it might be worth it to you. In all, it sounds like you've put together a solid build.
Beautiful gun.

When I said XM-3 ish I was thinking more the general aesthetic. A true XM3 would be far more heavy than necessary for what I will primarily use it for.

For reference, here's the rifle next to an XM-3. Only difference from the .mil version is the McMillan A5 stock (pictured) vs. the A1-3. Difference in overall length is 2.5". The picture makes the XM-3 appear much longer.

The XM-3 is a heavy bitch. Incidentally, its weight while being used hunting that drove me to the newer rifle. Advances in CF stock and barrel now give you the feel of a larger rifle at about 10lbs less.

Attachments

• XM-3 VS Manners.jpg
    XM-3 VS Manners.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 24