• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors SAS stainless .308 vs. AAC cyclone

ptaylor

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2003
central texas
IMAGE_045.jpg

I've had the SAS can for about 2 years now. It was my first NFA purchase. I bought into all the hype on SH and got one of the SAS group buy cans. I finally got to compare it to another .308 can yesterday. I picked up my cyclone about 2 months ago and finally had a chance to do a head to head shoot out. Both cans where shot on a .308 GAP with a 20" badger barrel, 178gr amax, lapua cases and 42gr varget.

Size and Weight: they are really close in weight, I didn't use a scale but they seem very similar, the cyclone felt slightly lighter. The cyclone is about 1/2" longer.

Suppression: with my terrible hearing I couldn't tell from the shooters position, they where really close, I might give the cyclone the edge. I'll need to do some more shooting with bystanders to tell a difference.

Accuracy: I don't shoot for groups anymore except to confirm my zero. I've got steel set up from 100-1k at every 100 yards and had no problems getting to 1K with both cans. However, while adjusting for the cyclone shift I shot some incredibly tiny groups. On this day I would give the accuracy to the cyclone.

If you are looking for a magnum rated steel .308 can I think the SAS is hard to beat. If you want a dedicated precision .308 can the cyclone is probably the way to go.

Re: SAS stainless .308 vs. AAC cyclone

+1 for the Cyclone. I have one on a Surgeon built 308. It shoots lights out at 100 yards but it really shine when reaching out to 1000 yards. I'll put some pics up when my stock gets back from coating.

Is that a Harbinger rifle in your pic?

Re: SAS stainless .308 vs. AAC cyclone

no, nothing fancy. remy 700, badger bottom metal in a McM a5. I've had it for over 7 years now. Shoots as good now as the day I bought it.