• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Satern Custom Machining

MJPLEO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2009
Port Angeles, WA
<span style="font-weight: bold">The following are my emails w/Steve Satern this past week of Satern Custom Machining. I had read in the past some people have had trouble getting through to anyone at Satern Custom Machining. Just a heads up for those building w/a Satern barrel.

When I had my 6.5 Grendel upper built back in August, I was told that it would chamber Wolf, AA and Hornady ammo but for the life of me it won't chamber the Hornady stuff. I sent my original email on 01/20 in the very late evening and recieved a reply and answer to my question from Mr. Satern on 01/24, pretty damn good considering he was at the Shot Show last week. Needless to say, I wont be sending this barrel in. It is a hammer just the way it is.</span>

<span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold">On Thu Jan 20 23:41 , 'PIERSOLL, MATT' sent:

Good Evening,

I had an upper professionally built by Black Weapons Armory in Tucson, Arizona back in August which included a Satern Barrel in 6.5 Grendel. For the life of me, it will not chamber Hornady ammo. It will chamber both the Wolf inexpensive stuff and my hand loads in which I use Lapua brass. The gun routinely shoots 1/2 MOA no problem w/my hand loads but I still have 200 rounds of Hornady ammo that I can't use.

Did a bad batch of barrels go out that may have been a bit tight or is the Hornady ammo out of spec? This has been a bit frustrating, especially since this upper is part of one of the most expensive rifles I own. Anything you can do would be greatly appreciated.

Very Respectfully,
Matt Piersoll </span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I received the following at 10:54 A.M. on 01/24</span>

<span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Dear Matt,

The barrel you purchased from Black Weapons is a cut rifled barrel and was made to accept Lapua and Alexander Arms brass. The reason being is that at the time of manufacturing, these were the only reliable sources of brass available. Your barrel was chambered in all regards for use with the aforementioned cartridge brass. Bill Alexander recommended this chambering during this period. Hornady brass has come to my attention as it exceeds the head space (longer) by .001- .004 of an inch. This was brought to my attention this last week at Shot Show. There are only two ways to remedy this; one is to remove the barrel, send it back and we will scrape the chamber so it will accept Hornady ammo, or you would have to keep using Lapua or Alexander Arms brass and Ammo. Seems to me that it is a shame that we can make our barrels to a close tolerance, but the brass manufacturers cannot follow a print. Please inform us as to your choice in this matter.
We would be happy to satisfy your needs.

Steve Satern
Satern Custom Machining </span></span>

Re: Satern Custom Machining

Thanks for copying us on this. Interesting discussion points. Good to see Satern has outstanding customer service (I had heard some bad things about their service, sounds like they were not true). I also have a Satern Grendel barrel but it chambers Hornady ammunition no problem (and shots it very well - every group I have shot w/ it has been an MOA or under). My Satern was purchased from AA in late December 2010, so maybe they changed their chamber print?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for copying us on this. Interesting discussion points. Good to see Satern has outstanding customer service (I had heard some bad things about their service, sounds like they were not true). I also have a Satern Grendel barrel but it chambers Hornady ammunition no problem (and shots it very well - every group I have shot w/ it has been an MOA or under). My Satern was purchased from AA in late December 2010, so maybe they changed their chamber print?

</div></div>

It would make sense as it opens up a whole other market for them. I reload nearly 100% so it hasn't made a difference except for the ammo that I had purchased and can't use at this time. Maybe it's time for another build, good excuse right?

Matt

You could sell the hornady ammo and buy more lapua brass, just a thought.
Cheers.

I have tried on numerous occasions to get a hold of anyone there to order a barrel for a build and have never had any success. I have heard great things about them if you can get your hands on one.

Steve and Deb Satern are both great to deal with IMO---there were issues in the past w/delivery times---but hey these are custom barrels and law enforcement and military get theirs first
---Steve is a 1st class machinist and will try to do it your way
but usually has a better tried/proven way--I personally know of
no finer people to deal with--no "2nds" at Satern

Has anyone heard any comment from Hornady about this? Seems like a fairly big deal to me.

Also, in the AR platform, how would you know without gauging each round if it is too long other than rounds that obviously don't chamber? Is this a safety issue? I have put a pile of rounds down range, but I haven't run into this sitaution before. Just want to make sure I don't screw up big time.