• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sauer 200STR Sig SSG3000 Q's

Ackley Improved

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2006
AUSTRALIA
I am interested in the SSG3000 rifle and understand barrels and parts are interchangeable with the 200STR. Is there anyone with one of these rifles that can answer these questions

1. Does the 6mmBR barrel have its own magazine or does it work with the 6.5x55/308 magazines? Could be single shot as far as I know.
2. Is there any outlet to purchase the barrels from, be it in Europe or the US?
3. Quality of the newer patrol rifles compared to the original European produced?
4. The SSG3000 with McMillan stock exactly same as newer patrol model? Reason I ask is I could buy the patrol for $1400 and then buy a McMillan SSG3000 stock which is cheaper than the rifle offered with the McMillan from factory?
5. Return to zero accuracy after changing barrels

If anyone from Europe reads this and shoots either a SSG3000 or a 200STR I would like to have a chat about this rifle too and the matches that are shot.

Cheers

Last edited:
1. Can't answer for you.

2. There is no US source of barrels that I am aware of. It is fairly easy to source a barrel in Europe.

3. Quality should be identical since the barreled actions on both versions are German made.

4. Yes they are identical. McMillan has a fairly long lead time on their stocks however .

5. Couldn't answer as I have never swapped the barrel to test RTZ.

1. Does the 6mmBR barrel have its own magazine or does it work with the 6.5x55/308 magazines? Could be single shot as far as I know.

It's single shot. 6.5x55/308W STR magazines aren't supposed to feed 6mm BR cartridges particularly well.

Border:
Cut rifled "Border" barrels

I bought a Sauer barrel for my STR from GESAB in Sweden.
Pris på pipor till Sauer 200 STR

As far as I know Norma and Schultz & Larsen also make, or have made, barrels for the STR.

4. The SSG3000 with McMillan stock exactly same as newer patrol model? Reason I ask is I could buy the patrol for $1400 and then buy a McMillan SSG3000 stock which is cheaper than the rifle offered with the McMillan from factory?

It is possible to order a customized SSG 3000 stock from McMillan so you might want buy a stock from McMillan even if don't save any money by doing so.

I haven't tried to switch, back and forth, between two barrels so I don't know.

It's not the *exact* same rifle...the muzzle brake is definitely different in origin, for one. The action seems to be identical save for slight differences in the markings.

It's not the *exact* same rifle...the muzzle brake is definitely different in origin, for one. The action seems to be identical save for slight differences in the markings.

Good point. I believe the European barrel threading is different than the US threading. 18x1 vs 5/8x24?

The new SSG 3000 action has a 0 MOA integral scope rail. The older model has a dovetail mount that allowed the use of canted scope rails.

The new barrels are threaded 5/8 x 24 according to the SIG website.

The action itself is a long action capable of feeding and shooting .30-06- length cartridges from the magazine.

The barrels have an extension into which the bolt lugs lock -- unlike many other actions, where the bolt locks into the action itself. At least one supplier, A.H. Larsen in Denmark makes adapters into which the bolt lug cuts have been machined. An ordinary barrel is then threaded into the adapter, and the combined unit is mounted to the receiver. Larsen can be reached via email at [email protected]. The current price of the adapter, with shipping to the U.S., is about $270.

Going through the barrel / adapter process right now. The thread on the adapter from Larsen is M22 x 1.5 . My gunsmith Gene Williams is currently working on it and will let you know how well everything fits, once he is done.

Thanks for the info! Zero MOA rail sucks a little but everything else sounds great. Now are these actions as smooth and slick as they show on youtube?

Thanks for the info! Zero MOA rail sucks a little but everything else sounds great. Now are these actions as smooth and slick as they show on youtube?

The bolt travel is exceptionally smooth, possibly due in large part to the fact that the action just provides a track for the bolt to travel in on its way to locking into the barrel extension. The 0 MOA rail issue can be mitigated to a large extent by using the Burris Signature Rings with their offset inserts to increase cant at the scope rail. I have used only the MacMillan stock version, and that stock is very comfortable to me. The new stock looks pretty good too, but I cannot comment since I have not used it. The only thing that required adjustment on my part was the placement of the bolt handle, which tended to touch my hand when I was in firing position. I wasn't used to that, so I had to alter my hand placement a bit. That may or may not be an issue with the new stock.

I am interested in the SSG3000 rifle and understand barrels and parts are interchangeable with the 200STR. Is there anyone with one of these rifles that can answer these questions

3. Quality of the newer patrol rifles compared to the original European produced?

If anyone from Europe reads this and shoots either a SSG3000 or a 200STR I would like to have a chat about this rifle too and the matches that are shot.

Cheers

1. It is mean't to be single shot but a gunsmith could probably make it work but im not sure.
2. there is several, standard barrels in 6.5x55 and .308 you can get from gesab in sweden, aftermarket barrels in 6.5x55 you can get from våpensmia in norway (different brands and length's)
3. it should be just as good
4. don't know but there is some other makers of stocks too GRS is making laminate stock's that are very nice, a bit pricy though.
5. not sure i am a fairly new owner of a sauer 200 str in 6.5x55.

Excuse me for my bad english, i live in sweden and can source alot of information about the "ssg 3000" so just pm me if you (anyone) have any questions.

// Johan

Good point. I believe the European barrel threading is different than the US threading. 18x1 vs 5/8x24?

the european (sauer 200 str) doesn't have any threads on the barrel, it has a clamp on sight for diopter shooting.

Great, also how much room is there in the magazine? What is the maximum OAL that can be used?

I don't know exactly but long, for .308 very long, with 6.5x55 and 77.5mm i got alot of room left, the magazine would probably fit 30-06 rounds.

Great, also how much room is there in the magazine? What is the maximum OAL that can be used?

Most I could measure by caliper is 3.475" but 3.465-3.470" is probably the realistic max OAL depending on bullit profile.

image by c.swimm, on Flickr

For reference here is my 308 load with 175gr Berger OTM Tactical bullet loaded to 2.815"

And in the SSG 3000 Magazine to illustrate how much room is left.

Sorry for quick crappy cell phone pics.

The 6mm BR can be made to feed quite well from the mag with mods.
The easiest way is to strip a follower from a short 202 mag, replace it with the one in the 200, and make a block at the back of the mag to help it feed more reliably.
And the feed lips will of course have to be modified.
It can be made to work with a 284 case too, but a 0.500 diameter case is really at the limit.
It is really a long action, and can be made to single feed bigger cartidges if desired, but would require a opened bolt face.
And fx a 280 or 30-06 works well with the mags.

Border barrels UK has the best barrels available for it, they also can make a barrel extension so you can thread any normal barrel blank, if you desire to use something homegrown like Maddco.
Schulz & Larsen makes good barrels.
The original Sauer barrels are available many places in Europe, you already got some suggestions so you know where to find them.
Norma does not currently produce barrels for the 200.

Never tried a patrol rifle, but the complete barreled action is manufactured in Germany, alongside the normal ones, same action, trigger and barrel.
The rail, stock and barrel threading / muzzle break is different.
So if you replace the stock you will pretty much have a SSG 3000.

Look above, it is very close to the original.
There are a few other stock options too besides the McM if you are not set on it.

5. Return to zero accuracy after changing barrels.

My 200 holds zero well at least, and rarely hear about any trouble with them.
They do benefit from bedding though if your out to change stock anyway.

Ackley Improved :
Max COAL is 3.4646in / 88 mm.
And yes it can be made to feed 30 06 with no trouble.

Sid Post:
I know O.K Weber imported Border barrels at some point, not on they're site now though, but would be my first try.
If not they can maybe send you an barrel extension for it, don't know the US import laws, so better check before you order.
AH Larsen mentioned earlier in the post can make one too.

Last edited:
O.K Weber no longer imports Border Barrels. I had called about 2 months ago and they told me they quit a while back, could not find any other importer for Border. The only way I found to import is maybe through someone like Simpson LTD.

Simpson Ltd

The fees do not make it worth wild.

Thanks for all the replies. They seem like a no brainer for the money. Just ordered a mcmillan stock and will look at a 20moa near alpha mount. Now to find a 6.5x55 barrel :)