• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

SAUM vs WSM

ollie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2008
Apollo Pa
I have a rem 700 sa with a mag bolt that I want to build a mag rifle out of. Im thinking a 7mm in either saum or wsm running the 180s.
Is it worth the hassel of looking for saum brass over just going wsm?
This gun is for hunting and some farm land steel.

Both are killer, WSM is alot easier to find, but the saum is more efficient, longer seating in your SA, and supposed better barrel life. I had a wsm, loved it. sold it to get a saum that I love even more.

Both are killer, WSM is alot easier to find, but the saum is more efficient, longer seating in your SA, and supposed better barrel life. I had a wsm, loved it. sold it to get a saum that I love even more.

7WSM brass is nearly impossible to find right now…..
SAUM brass is easy to find with a google search.

Admittedly I am no expert but having traveled across the country a lot I do like the thought of availability as I tend to be practical from a perspective of having rifles that fire more commonly found ammunition and/or brass. My observation has been you will at this point find WSM much more frequently. Not to say SAUM may not catch on more and be more available some day but at this point WSM gets my vote. Besides, if I was looking for a different 7MM it would be because want something materially/significantly more (e.g. someone may want an ultramag or weatherby mag) but as it is I had seen WSM has a slightly higher velocity than SAUM. Of course, I am a person who loves the 308 as it is so common and easy to find it is nice knowing I can find ammo about everywhere. It may not be the most efficient round but it does the job.

Thanks guys, I guess ill let the availability of brass make my decision for me.

7WSM has more boiler room, a bit more speed (50-100fps depening on barrel length powder etc).

7SAUM is eaiser on seating depth when you use magazines.

I have some 7mm barrels that were shot with the 7-270WSM as my F-Class rifle, and am considering rechambering to SAUM to live out it's retirement on a repeater. The shorter case will give more room to play with seating depth and just keep the 180 out of the neck-shoulder junction.

Both will do what you want.

Shot 2 barrels out of 7wsm. Both shot the same load 2.935 180gr VLD with 62.0 grs H4831SCC threw AICS mags. I liked them, little more recoil then I would WANT. I am having trouble building another with $50.00 a box 180gr VLDS, and NO 162gr AMAX out there. Its a awesome round none the less and worked fine threw short action actions. Look into the 6.5 SAUM (4S). The more people that own, the higher chance we can get some ready to go brass for it!

Steve Blair, CA F class state champ shot a 991-50x with his 300WSM/berger230 combo at Coalinga last weekend, the things a lazer and bucks the wind better than my RSAUM, he's getting 2800+ out of it

Last edited:
I have a rem 700 sa with a mag bolt that I want to build a mag rifle out of. Im thinking a 7mm in either saum or wsm running the 180s.
Is it worth the hassel of looking for saum brass over just going wsm?
This gun is for hunting and some farm land steel.

ollie

My 2 cents.
Couple of friends have 7mm SAUM, I was also looking into it; they recommended a long action. I shot both rifles at a mile, both lasers. One detail, once load development done and proper seating depth set (Berger 180 works great in both rifles), with a short action, you would have to single feed, which is OK for target shooting but not for competition, or hunting.

build your rifle according to what reloading components and/or ammo you can find. Otherwise, you're just pissing in the wind. Also, don't forget about the Ruger Compact Magnum or using the old short action Remington 6.5 magnum and 350 magnum brass. all can be necked accordingly.

Steve Blair, CA F class state champ shot a 991-50x with his 300WSM/berger230 combo at Coalinga last weekend, the things a lazer and bucks the wind better than my RSAUM, he's getting 2800+ out of it

Got any idea what his load and barrel length is? Always ran 175 SMK in mine and was thinking of going heavier.

Thanks - I run H4350 in mine as well but I have a 26" Rock. Have to try the Bergers sometime.