• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 AICS 2.0 Chassis Review

dtibbals

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2009
Forney, TX
So I figured I would start a thread to save people the nightmare I had getting this up and running! I am brand new to long range precision shooting, I've been in the AR and AK world for many years and invested unbelievable amounts of money in rifles, optics and training but long range precision is still a bit greek to me. After spending a ton of time reading here I ordered last year a GAP Templar 6.5 Creedmoor in an AICS AX chassis (it won't be here till late summer) but decided I wanted to get a 308 to shoot and learn some basic skills and take some training before the GAP arrives. I came across a Savage 10-PC with threaded barrel (for my 30P-1) with a good trigger and detachable magazine. Price was right and while the stock wasn't ideal it would get me going and cheap.

A few weeks after I bought the Savage I saw that Mile High had these new AICS stocks so I bought one instantly and could not wait to get it! So after the holidays I finally got around to installing my Savage in the stock to find out it doesn't work! I couldn't get the bolt installed and even if I installed the bolt prior to installing it in the AICS the trigger wouldn't work and I couldn't get the bolt out..FAIL!

So I called Mile High who has been awesome but no solution (it is in fact a very new stock) but they gave me the number to AI and after speaking with them they had no clue..FAIL lol AI asked that I send them detailed pictures to see if they could come up with a work around. After looking at it for a couple hours I figured this was a waste of my time as well as theirs because I discovered not all Model 10's are the same. So I went online and purchased another Model 10 and three days later I am in business!!!

The issue is the bolt release placement. On my original rifle (pictured below in the camo stock) it has the Savage bottom metal that takes a single stack removable magazine. The bolt release is located in front of the trigger guard. All of these model 10's will NOT work with the AICS. The bolt release has to be located on the receiver itself. So the second Savage I bought came in a basic black stock with internal magazine but had the receiver style I needed with the same barrel as my original rifle. It came in today and life is now golden! So I ended up with 2 rifles just to use the AICS but from what I can see it was well worth the hassle.

Here are the pictures showing the two styles of Savage 10 receivers as well as the correct style in the AICS stock. Just need to get a scope once I am back from Shot Show and go out and pound some steel.

7DB673B3-DB9A-48E8-B5A4-404FC323B7B2-7326-000004DDDE0D61B2.jpg

0CADF199-DDAB-48A5-B0B4-2F1A5C210511-7326-000004DDD50BEDF4.jpg

F6F60998-90AC-417A-8A36-2D34470F8B7B-7326-000004DDBC1C93FD.jpg

9770D1DF-BC37-428F-A605-A06C65419474-7326-000004DDEFD40612.jpg

7D1EE20E-5ABD-4101-8DFC-64746CA1783A-7326-000004DDE4EBF5FF.jpg

C8A958A3-4CC3-46C0-A1D0-D82AA1A255E8-7326-000004DDEA9C3716.jpg

2F749FC1-4D17-4758-A59F-8E739C6950EB-7326-000004DDF9BD5F71.jpg

19B59B38-DF10-402D-B442-79137012F7B1-7326-000004DDF50080B6.jpg

02469C9E-2FA3-4E5D-A039-9A1859564290-7326-000004DDFE81BA98.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed...I will let you know how she shoots when I get to that point.

PS Mile High and AI have been very helpful and I can't say enough about them both! Even though this was all a major pain in the butt I never felt like I was screwed I knew Mile High would have taken care of me. Great to have suppliers like them!!!

David

Re: Savage 10 AICS 2.0 Chassis Review

Sweet rifle. The camostock is that the 5r rifling 20 inch with threaded barrel?

They do...depends on the magazine style I believe...it has amazed me how many variants there are of a Savage 10...kind of stupid but people say they shoot...the rifle cost me $640 plus the AICS, if she shoots it's a good deal!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZdesert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet rifle. The camostock is that the 5r rifling 20 inch with threaded barrel? </div></div>

Yup both are actually...same rifle except for the camo stock and one has a detachable magazine...the barrels are identical. I am expecting it to be a shooter...been hearing great things about the 5R barrels.

looks nice but it looks like that action rides really high in the stock

Which savage 10 did you drop in there? I just bought a new 10FCP-SR a few months ago. My action looks the same as the one you put in your AICS stock.

Since about 2006, all short action Savages have been 4.41" centerfeeds.

The bolt release placement on the bottom is a much more recent change (2012, maybe 2011 model rifles I think), to only certain but an increasing number of rifles.

Yet another case of Savage not being able to leave well enough alone and seeking a solution to a problem that didn't exist (right up there with the smooth barrel nut)...the issue that causes the aftermarket (like AI) to shun them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sp2Pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which savage 10 did you drop in there? I just bought a new 10FCP-SR a few months ago. My action looks the same as the one you put in your AICS stock.</div></div>

any 4.40 center feed SA with side bolt release will fit...

Guess I'll have to call and chew on Mile High... I got on the wait list some time ago, and last time I called to check (October) they said I was first in the queue and they'd call as soon as the stocks were available. Sure is nice to find out about it this way...

Not sure how their 'wait list' works... called and now they say no, there were 25 people above me on the list and they've only got like six chassis in stock and started calling people and waiting on return calls. But if I wanted to order today, they'd box it up and send it.

Now they've got my CC info... guess we'll see when it gets here.

Had an AICS 1.5 on a Stiller Tac30 a while back and loved it (the stock). Very much looking forward to dropping my Savage 12 LRP (yes, 4.40" hole spacing and side-bolt release) in this puppy. Right now its in a factory HS Precision stock with CDI bottom metal for AI mags, which works pretty sweet as is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sp2Pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which savage 10 did you drop in there? I just bought a new 10FCP-SR a few months ago. My action looks the same as the one you put in your AICS stock. </div></div>

The model that I used for the AICS is the Savage Model 10 FP-SR...the version that did not work is the Model 10 Precision Carbine. Not sure if yours will work or not, I am guessing it will but not sure what the measurement is of the lugs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtibbals</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sp2Pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which savage 10 did you drop in there? I just bought a new 10FCP-SR a few months ago. My action looks the same as the one you put in your AICS stock. </div></div>

The model that I used for the AICS is the Savage Model 10 FP-SR...the version that did not work is the Model 10 Precision Carbine. Not sure if yours will work or not, I am guessing it will but not sure what the measurement is of the lugs.</div></div>

IOTW - the bottom bolt release did not work - correct? (Not surprising - the bottom bolt release is an abomination).

Was the bolt release arm hitting some metal in the chassis?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtibbals</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sp2Pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which savage 10 did you drop in there? I just bought a new 10FCP-SR a few months ago. My action looks the same as the one you put in your AICS stock. </div></div>

The model that I used for the AICS is the Savage Model 10 FP-SR...the version that did not work is the Model 10 Precision Carbine. Not sure if yours will work or not, I am guessing it will but not sure what the measurement is of the lugs.</div></div>

IOTW - the bottom bolt release did not work - correct? (Not surprising - the bottom bolt release is an abomination).

Was the bolt release arm hitting some metal in the chassis? </div></div>

Yes this is correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtibbals</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sp2Pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which savage 10 did you drop in there? I just bought a new 10FCP-SR a few months ago. My action looks the same as the one you put in your AICS stock. </div></div>

The model that I used for the AICS is the Savage Model 10 FP-SR...the version that did not work is the Model 10 Precision Carbine. Not sure if yours will work or not, I am guessing it will but not sure what the measurement is of the lugs. </div></div>

The FCP-SR will work just fine.

To work with the SA AICS your Savage needs:

- 4.40" action screw spacing
- side bolt release
- center feed, not stagger feed

The factory and NSS recoil lugs work fine, but the SSS recoil lug requires a bit of modification.

I own an AICS for my 700 and a Savage PC so I'm taking a shot in the dark here but I would guess that the PC would work in the AICS chassis if you opened up the skins a little in front of the trigger where the bottom bolt release metal is.

Now I don't think (again assuming as I don't have the Savage version AICS ) you would be able to use the bolt release unless you opened up the skins enough to put your finger inside to pull it back manually or come up with a lever like CDI did for their bottom bolt release version DBM. Although if you needed to take the bolt out you could buy one of the Borka AICS bits and pull the barreled action out of the stock plenty easy enough.

Would be great if you could put the PC into the chassis and pull off one side of the skin and take a picture like this one of my 700 so we all could verify if it would work or not.

2qtl9gk.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own an AICS for my 700 and a Savage PC so I'm taking a shot in the dark here but I would guess that the PC would work in the AICS chassis if you opened up the skins a little in front of the trigger where the bottom bolt release metal is.

Now I don't think (again assuming as I don't have the Savage version AICS ) you would be able to use the bolt release unless you opened up the skins enough to put your finger inside to pull it back manually or come up with a lever like CDI did for their bottom bolt release version DBM. Although if you needed to take the bolt out you could buy one of the Borka AICS bits and pull the barreled action out of the stock plenty easy enough.

Would be great if you could put the PC into the chassis and pull off one side of the skin and take a picture like this one of my 700 so we all could verify if it would work or not.

2qtl9gk.jpg
</div></div>

Nope that won't work. The savage has a metal thing (don't know what to call it) that is what allows you to remove and install the bolt but also cocks the trigger each time. It gets bound up inside of the stock, you have to almost bend it to get the trigger to fit into the frame. Sure I guess you could start cutting stuff etc but I sure am not going to do that to an $1100 stock to see if it would or would not work. Also I would imagine if you in theory could do it and had to loosen the receiver from the chassis you will loose zero each time. It was much easier to just buy another rifle.

I can understand what your saying about the bolt release tab hitting the chassis if they milled it that tight as it does stick down and forward compared to the side bolt release versions not having anything down below the pivot point.

As for "loosing zero" with the AICS after pulling the barreled action out, you really shouldn't have any P.O.I issue if you're torquing your action screws the same each time.

Thanks so much for the review and valuable info Dtibbals. Congrats on being one of the first to get one! Do you happen to know if the old style skins will fit on this chassis? Perhaps I'm the odd duck here, but I really like the old style better. I have a 2.0 on a Rem 700 now, and will sell it to a friend who's been begging for it, just so I can go with the Savage, but I'd sure like to be able to put the old style skins on it.

I just got off the phone from ordering one with Eric @ EuroOptic. Those guys are a class act, as always. I should have mine by the end of next week. It will almost bring a tear to my eye to part with my current AICS........almost..... This has been a long time coming! Thanks EuroOptic!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical Max</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Thanks so much for the review and valuable info Dtibbals. Congrats on being one of the first to get one! Do you happen to know if the old style skins will fit on this chassis? Perhaps I'm the odd duck here, but I really like the old style better. I have a 2.0 on a Rem 700 now, and will sell it to a friend who's been begging for it, just so I can go with the Savage, but I'd sure like to be able to put the old style skins on it. </div></div>

I am not sure I would call Patrick at AI

Man your savage looks good in that AICS. I have a savage 10 with that same bolt release location. You've got me thinking now! My savage is an older model though with 4.27'' between the action bolts and not the newer 4.4''. I bet she'll be a great rifle once you get some glass on her.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Asmith5144</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man your savage looks good in that AICS. I have a savage 10 with that same bolt release location. You've got me thinking now! My savage is an older model though with 4.27'' between the action bolts and not the newer 4.4''. I bet she'll be a great rifle once you get some glass on her. </div></div>

I sure hope so!!!! Once I get back from Shot Show I will get some glass on it and find out!

Thanks for the walk through on your building experience. I recently purchased a 10PC ... it's too bad they changed the release on that model.

I might have to pick one up and attempt to put in my 10PC. When it doesn't fit, I will put it in the mill and make it fit. I am sure I can make it work.

Well I just ordered one from EuroOptic. We will see how easy it is to inlet. I will post a write up when I am finished.

So I figured I would start a thread to save people the nightmare I had getting this up and running! I am brand new to long range precision shooting, I've been in the AR and AK world for many years and invested unbelievable amounts of money in rifles, optics and training but long range precision is still a bit greek to me. After spending a ton of time reading here I ordered last year a GAP Templar 6.5 Creedmoor in an AICS AX chassis (it won't be here till late summer) but decided I wanted to get a 308 to shoot and learn some basic skills and take some training before the GAP arrives. I came across a Savage 10-PC with threaded barrel (for my 30P-1) with a good trigger and detachable magazine. Price was right and while the stock wasn't ideal it would get me going and cheap.

A few weeks after I bought the Savage I saw that Mile High had these new AICS stocks so I bought one instantly and could not wait to get it! So after the holidays I finally got around to installing my Savage in the stock to find out it doesn't work! I couldn't get the bolt installed and even if I installed the bolt prior to installing it in the AICS the trigger wouldn't work and I couldn't get the bolt out..FAIL!

So I called Mile High who has been awesome but no solution (it is in fact a very new stock) but they gave me the number to AI and after speaking with them they had no clue..FAIL lol AI asked that I send them detailed pictures to see if they could come up with a work around. After looking at it for a couple hours I figured this was a waste of my time as well as theirs because I discovered not all Model 10's are the same. So I went online and purchased another Model 10 and three days later I am in business!!!

The issue is the bolt release placement. On my original rifle (pictured below in the camo stock) it has the Savage bottom metal that takes a single stack removable magazine. The bolt release is located in front of the trigger guard. All of these model 10's will NOT work with the AICS. The bolt release has to be located on the receiver itself. So the second Savage I bought came in a basic black stock with internal magazine but had the receiver style I needed with the same barrel as my original rifle. It came in today and life is now golden! So I ended up with 2 rifles just to use the AICS but from what I can see it was well worth the hassle.

Here are the pictures showing the two styles of Savage 10 receivers as well as the correct style in the AICS stock. Just need to get a scope once I am back from Shot Show and go out and pound some steel.

7DB673B3-DB9A-48E8-B5A4-404FC323B7B2-7326-000004DDDE0D61B2.jpg

0CADF199-DDAB-48A5-B0B4-2F1A5C210511-7326-000004DDD50BEDF4.jpg

F6F60998-90AC-417A-8A36-2D34470F8B7B-7326-000004DDBC1C93FD.jpg

9770D1DF-BC37-428F-A605-A06C65419474-7326-000004DDEFD40612.jpg

7D1EE20E-5ABD-4101-8DFC-64746CA1783A-7326-000004DDE4EBF5FF.jpg

C8A958A3-4CC3-46C0-A1D0-D82AA1A255E8-7326-000004DDEA9C3716.jpg

2F749FC1-4D17-4758-A59F-8E739C6950EB-7326-000004DDF9BD5F71.jpg

19B59B38-DF10-402D-B442-79137012F7B1-7326-000004DDF50080B6.jpg

02469C9E-2FA3-4E5D-A039-9A1859564290-7326-000004DDFE81BA98.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed...I will let you know how she shoots when I get to that point.

PS Mile High and AI have been very helpful and I can't say enough about them both! Even though this was all a major pain in the butt I never felt like I was screwed I knew Mile High would have taken care of me. Great to have suppliers like them!!!

David

Where did the pictures go? Just found this thread and wanted to get a look at this.

Can we get a range report on this?

Actually just got back Sunday from attending a 4 day precision rifle class with the above rifle. Chassis is awesome, would recommend it to anyone! Couldn't have been happier with it and transporting it via a plane and small rental car was easy since folded it fits in a case I use for an AR with 14.5" barrel. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't do anything different.

Ive had one of these backordered for about than a year (mid march I think). Anyone have any updates? Im about to cancel the backorder, and pic up a mcrees, xlr, etc.

Ive had one of these backordered for about than a year (mid march I think). Anyone have any updates? Im about to cancel the backorder, and pic up a mcrees, xlr, etc.

I looked into this awhile back and determined that it was going to take FOREVER to get one, so I went with the McRees. I couldn't be happier.

If you go with the McRees, just make sure you buy their stock pack...the aluminum cheek piece isn't very comfortable without it! The McRees is awesome though. I bought mine through Defensor Tactical and the box was on my doorstep within 7 days.

I had no idea aics were made for savages. I thought only for Remington. Who did you order it from?