• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage 10 FCP-K re-stock questions

RobfromME

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2010
Bangor, Maine
Good evening,

I'm contemplating the purchase of a Savage, but have a couple questions I couldn't resolve with a search.

If I purchase a Savage 10FCP-K with Accustock, and later decide to change the stock, will the action fit in any of the newer 4.4" aftermarket stocks such as the B&C Medalist, or HS Precision stocks, other than a trimming around the trigger guard for the "new" bolt release and making an opening for the box magazine? Or does the smaller recoil lug cause difficulties as well? Is further bedding required, if it fits at all? No one seems to offer replacement stocks for Accustock Savages yet as far as I can tell.

I read the comparison between the Savage 10FCP-K and the 10FCP HS stocked guns here on this forum, and saw those as the major differences.
I could just buy the FCP with HS Precision stock right up front, but I'm not sure that's the stock I want. Maybe the Accustock will suit me fine, maybe not. The muzzle brake and fluted barrel of the FCP-K don't matter to me, I'll take it either way. If I shoot at a range disallowing the muzzle brake, I'll remove and "cap" it.

I'd originally wanted a Remington 700P, and still do, but the quality problems are now more than just what I read here...a friend of mine has a 700 with the familiar issues and some misdrilled action screw holes and two guys at a 3 gun shoot last year had problems with their 1100's (Fortunately my 1100 is older and flawless). I don't want to dump that kind of cash on a lemon and I want to shoot, not send my rifle back and forth to Ilion, NY for the season. It's a shame; it's such a nice rifle design.

Thanks in advance to all who have the time or interest to respond. I appreciate your time.

Warmest regards,
Rob

Re: Savage 10 FCP-K re-stock questions

I have 10 FCP-K, (just got back from the range
grin.gif
)it is a great rifle and I got it because I have other Savages and it seemed like a turn-key precision rifle.
I have seen all sorts of stuff about accuracy issues after having the action out of the accustock but mine always shoots less than 1 MOA (it comes apart every other cleaning). That being said I have just ordered a XLR chassis for mine because I want better ergonomics and as you discovered, there are not many options out there (sorry I can't really answer your question about modifying the other stocks)

Based on your post you don't seem to want or need any of the unique features in this model so why buy it?. I think there are better choices in the Savage line if you really want to swap the stock. Take a look at the 10FP-SR

Good evening, Tch2fly,

Thanks for the info! Especially since you have one and are familiar with it. The reason I was looking into it as opposed to the 10FP-SR was the FCP-K has the detachable box magazine. I really like that feature.

Also, I know the non-Accustock Savage stocks are pretty poor (I didn't like the ones I handled...pretty flimsy up front), and I'd be upgrading immediately, perhaps before shooting. If I go with the FCP-K, I get the Accustock's accuracy potential and can shoot it while I decide if I even need anything else for a stock and it's got the detachable box magazine. If the FP-SR had the detachable box mag, I'd pick it up. I don't object to the muzzle brake and fluting, it's just not a MUST have for me. But, they'd be nice if that's the way I go.

Thanks again for the helpful first hand information. I really appreciate it.

Warmest regards,
Rob

One issue you're going to have from the start if you're going for it for the detachable box magazine alone, is that you're stuck with the stock 4 round magazine.

Unless you're prepared from the start to change the bottom metal to where it accepts the AI magazines, you're going to have a hard time finding anything other than 4 round box mags. All of the suppliers that make 9rd/10rd DBM's are way behind in orders(like 1 year plus).

As far as stock options, it's personal preference really. I've got the 10FCP McMillan and I'm pretty happy with it. As with all stocks, you're going to be happiest with the one you like the best.

Welcome to snipershide btw!

its kinda buy the HS or the A5 stocked one from the factory then go from there. you can also call savage and get exactly what you want "custom" ordered. ive heard its quite easy. and the mag deal... either be patient or goto CDI bottom mteal and be done with it. 5-10 round mags easily available for that setup

I also just purchased the 10fcp-k. It is an awesome rifle right out of the box. I, too, ordered an XLR chassis. I looked at replacing the bottom metal with CDI, but decided to swap the entire stock which will allow for AI mags. Good choice of rifle.

I went with an XLR for my 110FCP-K. Buy the time you buy a comparable quality stock from say Choate and the CDI bottom metal you are pretty close to what the XLR stock costs and you still need to fiddle around inletting for bottom metal and I couldn't find a definitive answer on the new bottom bolt release (more grinding probably).

Besides the XLR stock is sexy.
wink.gif

I'd go with a Remington 700 if you want to have many options as far as stocks, triggers, etc etc. I have a friend who has the 10FCP-K (which is shooting sub-moa out of the box) but the problems he has run into are that the new-style bolt release won't allow him to install an aftermarket trigger and his stock options are limited to the XLR chassis right now.

Out at Shot Show we talked to Scott Mcree of Mcree's precision (www.mcreesprecision.net) and he is in the works of getting a stock out for the FCP-K, so stay tuned!

Gentlemen,

I can't thank you all enough for the thoughtful, informative comments and experiences you've shared in this topic. I have learned a great deal, and have a lot better information with which to base my decision now. For that, and more, I thank you!!!

My reasons for considering the box magazine was due to convenience and ease of dumping the extra rounds. However, I learned from this link of the other options available (i.e. capacity, other aftermarket bottom metal) that initially hadn't been in my decision making process!

And as you gentlemen had already speculated, my reasons for changing the stock would have been for comfort and the best cheek weld if I found that was necessary. But, since I am new to this, I didn't want to discount the Accustock, or any other stocks virtues, since I have no experience with which to do so. You've all been a huge help, and I appreciate it! I'll let you know how it goes!

Have a good evening!

Best regards,
Rob