• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 FCP range report

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
This will be a short report. I finally managed to get a little time to shoot my new Savage.
It's a model 10 FCP in a Choate Tactical stock. I have a Farrell 20moa base and Seekin's low rings holding a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 scope.
It all worked very well- after I figured out that a 20moa base will put the rounds over the target board at 100 yards. I was going to do a poor man's bore sight-in, but the tall cheekpiece prevented me from being able to look through the bore after removing the bolt.
After I got it on paper I adjusted until I was hitting the center of the bullseye.
After sight-in I had time for only 5 rounds. I know the rule here so this isn't bragging. This trip was only to sight-in and be sure the stick would go bang.
That said my first 3 rounds went through the same hole. The 2nd and 3rd rounds just made the hole a little bigger. I think I shifted a little because the next 2 rounds hit slightly aboue and made a wide hole. I haven't measured the group size, but it is very encouraging.
All shooting was from a bench off sandbags with my hand under the buttstock. Next trip I will shoot prone with using a bipod.

Jim

Re: Savage 10 FCP range report

I forgot to add that I was shooting 175gr BH match ammo. The 1 in 10" twist rate really seems to like it although I didn't have any 168gr to compare to.

Jim

So no regrets with the Choate stock? I’m. Considering it for my 12FV