• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 FP-SR or 10 FPC-K shoot both .223 and 5.56?

Raydee38

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2013
NY
Does anyone here know if one ob both of these rifles will shoot 5.56 as well as .223 no problem?

I believe all Savage bolt guns run a Wilde chamber (a hybrid .223/5.56 chamber) that safely allows both types of ammo.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
As stated above, Savage will tell you NO, don't run 5.56 in a 223.

That being said, their 223 throats are looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong and in all reality would probably be just fine. I mean really, there's folks running 223 handloads in their rifles that are way hotter than 5.56.

As stated above, Savage will tell you NO, don't run 5.56 in a 223.

That being said, their 223 throats are looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong and in all reality would probably be just fine. I mean really, there's folks running 223 handloads in their rifles that are way hotter than 5.56.

While this is a really good point. I think every user manual I've read says don't use reloaded ammunition too. I think manufacturer say this stuff just to CYA. They also said don't shoot 7.62x51 even though you can shoot that out of any 308 chambered rifle. At the end of the day, you should be fine, but if your not chambered for 5.56 there may be a very slim chance that something bad may happen. And people, here especially, tend to err on the side of caution.

I shot lots of 5.56 out of my .223 chambered factory Remington. There were never signs of excessive pressure or ill effects. That's just my expeirence though.

I have shot surplus ammo of the 5.56 variety, as well as the 7.62 NATO variety in all my Savages. I have never encountered any problems... not even once. If you are reloading, I would recommend start reading the IMR Reloading tables for your particular component combinations. Reloading is where the problems can begin to rise. Go slow, read alot, record your findings from your brass, and be careful!!

DK

Does anyone here know if one ob both of these rifles will shoot 5.56 as well as .223 no problem?
I own a FP-SR in .223. Remington is correct. And yes, I did try running both calibers by various producers, bullet grain weights and loads. One thing was consistent, the 5.56 does not like the .223 chamber. The difference in chamber pressure doesn't really come into plat that much. If your FP-SR is chambered for a specific caliber, stick to that caliber. A lot of people don't think the throat difference in the chamber matters that much. Unfortunately, it does. Shooting 5.56 out of the .223 results in fly rounds. You'll be lucky to ever attain less than 3 MOA at 50 meters. A person wouldn't think the chamber lead would make that much of a difference. However, when you consider the leade for a 5.56 is twice that of .223 you're looking at bullet deformation likely taking place. Shooting the appropriate round designated for your FP-SR will result in sub MOA @ 100 meters consitently. Do your DOPE right and you can smack what you're wanting to "effectively" out to 400 no problem. After that, you're pushing it.

I own a FP-SR in .223. Remington is correct. And yes, I did try running both calibers by various producers, bullet grain weights and loads. One thing was consistent, the 5.56 does not like the .223 chamber. The difference in chamber pressure doesn't really come into plat that much. If your FP-SR is chambered for a specific caliber, stick to that caliber. A lot of people don't think the throat difference in the chamber matters that much. Unfortunately, it does. Shooting 5.56 out of the .223 results in fly rounds. You'll be lucky to ever attain less than 3 MOA at 50 meters. A person wouldn't think the chamber lead would make that much of a difference. However, when you consider the leade for a 5.56 is twice that of .223 you're looking at bullet deformation likely taking place. Shooting the appropriate round designated for your FP-SR will result in sub MOA @ 100 meters consitently. Do your DOPE right and you can smack what you're wanting to "effectively" out to 400 no problem. After that, you're pushing it.

9 years for this drivel?

• Haha
Reactions: akmike47
Alternately; you've been wrong for all nine years.
I take it you own a FP-SR in .223 and have mic'd it's chamber, examined and mic'd the 5.56 cartridge neck swell and casing extension after it having been fired in the .223 chamber. Alternately, the proof is in the math.

I run imi 77 grain 5.56 in my howa mini-action that has a 1/8 twist 223. I have yet to find anything to convince me I am over pressure . the accuracy is there for sure or I wouldn't waste my time shooting it .

I take it you own a FP-SR in .223 and have mic'd it's chamber, examined and mic'd the 5.56 cartridge neck swell and casing extension after it having been fired in the .223 chamber. Alternately, the proof is in the math.

Common core?

Common core?
The chamber dimensions are different with the 5.56 NATO chamber having a 0.125” longer leade (the distance between the case mouth and the barrel rifling), and thats a simple mathematical fact. like it, or not. Not all weapons are manufactured with the intent of incorporating crossover ammunition. The Remington FP-SR is one of those rifles. If it's marked .223, it's engineered for that round. Conversely, same goes for the FP-SR in .556. Sure you can cross them over, but kiss long range accuracy goodbye.

The chamber dimensions are different with the 5.56 NATO chamber having a 0.125” longer leade (the distance between the case mouth and the barrel rifling), and thats a simple mathematical fact. like it, or not. Not all weapons are manufactured with the intent of incorporating crossover ammunition. The Remington FP-SR is one of those rifles. If it's marked .223, it's engineered for that round. Conversely, same goes for the FP-SR in .556. Sure you can cross them over, but kiss long range accuracy goodbye.

We know, it still doesn't make your post less retarded though. Eventually you'll figure out your gun doesn't like specific combinations of ammunition components. Until then I guess you'll keep trying to resurrect old threads to educate the internet with irrelevant information.

We know, it still doesn't make your post less retarded though. Eventually you'll figure out your gun doesn't like specific combinations of ammunition components. Until then I guess you'll keep trying to resurrect old threads to educate the internet with irrelevant information.
Apparently you didn't notice I was not the originator of the thread anymore than you understand mathematical facts? People giving others information they might not have, or understand doesn't give you the license to be an arrogant troll in the threads -- even if you do think you're all that. Dude, get a life. I