• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 Precision Carbine

cobia1

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2010
Hi all
I'm going to sell my Springfield M1A(standard)and buy a bolt gun for more precision shooting at longer ranges. I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money on a rifle just starting out so I'm thinking of a Savage 10 Precision Carbine in .308. I've got a Savage 7mm-08 and am very pleased with its accuracy and am hoping the carbine will shoot tight as well. My question is what are its limitations? With a 20" barrel I just wasnt sure what maximum ranges would be realistic for this gun. I'm also thinking of the Savage FCP-K. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Savage 10 Precision Carbine

Honestly that 20 inch should take you as far as you wanna go with the 308 really. You give up some velocity, but it is nothing that is going to ruin your day at all.

I have really started liking the shorter barrel lengths on my rifles. Go for it, I don't think you would regret it at all.

I really like mine, it loves the 165 game kings. I have shot mine out to 700 yards and hold a MOA. Here are some pics.
2qu53rs.jpg

I think you'll be happy with the PC and I think it's a great value for the features Savage offers. I love the accutrigger though the digital camo stock, not so much but it's a decent factory stock. Nothing duracoat can't fix.

I don't have a Savage but my 700 with a 20" barrel outshoots me all day.

...not that that is saying a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snuzem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all
I'm going to sell my Springfield M1A(standard)and buy a bolt gun for more precision shooting at longer ranges. I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money on a rifle just starting out so I'm thinking of a Savage 10 Precision Carbine in .308. I've got a Savage 7mm-08 and am very pleased with its accuracy and am hoping the carbine will shoot tight as well. My question is what are its limitations? With a 20" barrel I just wasnt sure what maximum ranges would be realistic for this gun. I'm also thinking of the Savage FCP-K. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. </div></div>

I have not found anything I don't like about my PC in 308. Here is a small write up I did about it a few weeks ago. For a stock rifle it shoots great!!

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...515#Post1848515

You don't need a whole new gun if you already have a Savage action. You just need a barrel. Of course I just happen to have a 20" Savage factory take off barrel (from a heavy barrel 10FP) with less than 500 rounds and the throat has been polished with the Tubbs coated bullets. Its yours for $85 shipped if you want it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mj2evans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't need a whole new gun if you already have a Savage action. You just need a barrel. Of course I just happen to have a 20" Savage factory take off barrel (from a heavy barrel 10FP) with less than 500 rounds and the throat has been polished with the Tubbs coated bullets. Its yours for $85 shipped if you want it. </div></div>

I'll take it.

Thanks for all the feedback. I just placed the order at my local dealer.....cant wait to get it! I'll post pics and a range report after my first trip.
Thanks again