• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 Predator Hunter 260 Remington Loads

Johndeere1

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2020
Anyone have a Savage 10 Predator Hunter in Remington 260???
Got one like new on trade and having trouble finding a load it likes.
Any load info would definitely help!!
Thanks

Do you know the twist rate on your barrel?
Here is a post that may have some load data for you to try;

Sorry for the late reply.
Without running a patch, I researched as much as I could and believe it to be an 8 twist in this model.
Some people have mentioned a 9 twist.

Sorry for the late reply.
Without running a patch, I researched as much as I could and believe it to be an 8 twist in this model.
Some people have mentioned a 9 twist.

Quick google search pulled up 8 twist, so I'd go with that.

In the "Reloading Depot" section, theres a bunch of pinned threads at the top of the forum of common calibers. thats where guys post what has worked for them, etc.

Also....did you do a full load development? What all have you tried? factory ammo? reloads?

More information would help

My best test result is using 140 eld-m with 43 gr of H4350 and tried 10, 30,50 and 80K off and 50 gave 2790-2800fps and just under 1" @ 100.
I may be asking too much out of it... but my 6.5 creedmoors run 42gr of H4350 @2750
Perhaps this is as good as it gets...
Thanks

Are you getting any pressure signs at 43gr? If not, and you're getting consistent sub-moa, then I'd say roll with that for now.

Do you have a Chronograph? or 500+ yards to shoot on a calm day? see what the ES is telling you, either via chrono or distance. In the end, its a factory rifle... I think sub-moa at 2800fps would work for most things.

What were your expectations?

Slightly heavy bolt lift with slightly flattened primers but not bad.
I chrono with Magnetospeed. Did not take it out farther yet. ES is about 15 if I remember correctly.
Not super high expectations from factory but have read better results than that... of course people exaggerate!

Slightly heavy bolt lift with slightly flattened primers but not bad.
I chrono with Magnetospeed. Did not take it out farther yet. ES is about 15 if I remember correctly.
Not super high expectations from factory but have read better results than that... of course people exaggerate!

Exaggerations yes lol... also, theres just so much variability in factory guns.

My Savage 10sba in 6.5 I'm running 41.8gr H4350 with 147's. Getting 2700fps. My last outing, I did 25rds with an ES of 28 SD of 8.5. Honestly If I can keep ES under 30 across 20-30rds I'm happy with that. Thats only about 6in of vertical difference at 1000yds, which for me....at this time, is good enough.

I'd just watch that load when its hot out lol. But if you're getting an ES of 15 and sub moa I personally don't see a problem lol...

Hard to reasonably expect more out of what you're shooting....I may be wrong too haha.

I'll work on it a bit more and if it doesn't get better.. I'll roll it like that.
Cool little rifle and just trying to wring every bit out of her.
Thank You for the help!

Reactions: Gustav7
390fe

Thanks for the link! I checked it out and am in the ballpark of other loads with 24" barrel.
I'll tinker a little more to see if it'll get to .7 MOA.
I usually don't keep a rifle that won't ...
I heard alot of great results with 130 class bullets.
Just trying to get it to shoot the heavys since thats what I use on my other 6.5's
Thank You!

A couple of questions may narrow the info you receive;
1. What are you loading for / plan to use this weapon for ? hunting , informal "steel banging" or some form of competition
2. What is the MAX. range you plan to shoot at ?

Reactions: 390fe
Is this the fluted medium varmint barrel rifle with camo stock? If so, I have a friend who had one. Nice shooting rifle. I ended up loading Nosler 130 Accubonds over 46.5 gr RL-19. Very accurate load. Four deer & one Montana antelope fell to that load, all one-shot-kills.

Yes. It is.
Just shot it again yesterday with 140 hpbt for load work and it sent two touching, then a 1" right flyer, then back to same hole, then 1" high.
I love the weight and balance of this rifle for all around! It's supposed to be an 8 twist so I'm forcing it to like 140's since I have lots of em. I load 140's in two 6.5/284 and three 6.5 Creedmoors with 8 twist that work great so I want this one to work with the same weight class.
I read alot of 120-130 loads for 260. Why not as many 140. However, my son has a mid-90's stainless Rem 700 260 that shoots wonderful with factory 140 corelokts.

Baddog
If this thing settles... I'll use it for coyote, deer, hog and occasional steel banging up to 600 with the 2-10 Burris on it now.
Definitely NOT competition.
It's hunting good, but I expect more from this nice little Savage.