• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage 10FCP Mcmillan issue

SpookM14

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Mountain West
Hey guys I am having some issues with my Savage rifle. I have switched up the mounts from a Weaver base to an EGW base with Burris Tactical 30 mm rings and a PST to top it off. I got it all dialed in but I'm maxed out on elevation and my windage is cranked pretty far over as well. I was wondering if you guys could help me trouble shoot this problem and if the equipment I have has had any issues. I have tried to problem solve this one on my own and talked to some buddies who work for Desert Tactical about it. Their response was well its a savage and honestly I am starting to agree with them. Its a real tack driver shooting consistent Sub MOA around .6 with 168 SMKs. With that being said I know it can shoot but I don't want a gun that I have to use the poor mans horus reticle on shooting at 200 yards. The gun shoots right now at 24 inches high exactly at 100 yards so I don't know if that helps. Any help on this would be much appreciated. I'm a newbie to the game of long range bolt guns and have spent my time in the M14 Platform.

Did you have the same problem with the Weaver base? Your mates are quite "helpful" aren't they.

yeah but that was because it was a 20 MOA base. The EGW base was suppose to be a 0 MOA base at least that is what it said on the package. However come to think of it the package looked like it had been opened and when I got it one of the screws were missing. I promptly contacted MidwayUSA and they send me a spare screw. I am hesitant to buy another base making it 3 for this bloody gun with hopes that it will turn out okay. In the mean time I have been looking at some of the FN SPR rifles because honestly im giving up hope on this gun working out for me.

If your having to max your windage out to get it sighted in, you base holes could be slightly off. Have a qualified gunsmith confirm that and open them up would fix it if that's the problem.

Kc

So, was your windage this much off when you had the weaver base (I think that was what FNG was asking, not elevation). If not, then the base may be off, not the receiver. Also, you can measure the height of the base at both ends to determine if it is 20 MOA or not.

Savages typically shoot well, and straight. Those who scoff at Savage rifles will eventually be eating humble pie, more times than naught...

I was one of those guys but this rifle just seemed to drop into my lap and it shoots like a dream when I hold under. It was surprised that even with factory magtec ammo I was shooting around 1 MOA but with federal GM 168 and 175 SMKs I shrunk that group size in half. I just wish I could get this bloody thing to work well.

Is the front of your EGW base the same height as the rear, or is it lower?

There was a run of Savage receivers a while back that had uneven fronts and rears causing optic issues...but I thought most of those were stainless actions.

Maybe remove the base and check the action with a straight edge; if they are way uneven then a trip to Savage for replacement might be in order.

Also, don't forget my offer upthread

These bases should permit the windage problem to be resolved.

These rings should match up and resolve any issues regarding ring/tube alignment.

These ring inserts should permit slope to be incorporated into the mounting setup. Please note that 30mm rings ship with +.010" and -.010" offset inserts as well as zero offset ones.

Sure, this may not be the ultimate tacticool, but it can solve your problem.

Greg

Last edited:
That doesn't seem right at all. I've never run into this problem with any savage I've ever had. I would wonder if the base was right for the gun. I usually bed the base to the action as well. It helps remove some small imperfections, if any exist. The windage thing is a tricky one. I might also wonder if there is not a problem with the scope as well, just to remove any possibilities. Has the scope been on anything else? It seems, if I understand right, that you had issues with the 1st base? I might think that if there were 2 bases with problems, well it's either the rifle or the scope. If you can measure center of the action and verify the holes are centered, I would say they are drilled right if the bases bolted on ok. If they are not, then I'd bet savage would make it right. They have pretty good CS. Has the scope been on anything else? Did it function on there?

I had a EGW 20moa for my 10 FCP that would not bolt up right the holes were drilled wrong. I measured the receiver and the bolt holes and they were off by a few thousands. If I remember correctly there was a forum on here somewhere about this. I went with a Seekins and the bolt holes lined up perfectly.

I have the same gun, with Badgers 20moa Rail and Badger Standard height rings and a Viper PST. I got on paper at 75 yards and zeroed at 300yrd. To hit 500 yrds I need 2 mils of elevation. Still hav plenty of elevation.

DSCF7505_zps377a84c9.jpg

I know the Badger stuff is expensive but if you try them and your problem goes away, how much is that worth to you?

I had possibly the same issue, and I returned the rifle to Savage. They replaced the barrel, which was bent. That happens sometimes, so check to see if the barrel is bent, or send it back and let them assess the problem.

I had the same problem with the original base but it was with a different scope and was clearly marked 20 MOA. I still was able to get it on paper with the original base and didn't have an issue with bottoming out like I did with the EGW base. I will switch bases again and put the PST on it again and see if the problem persists. I ended up getting some new rings as well so we will see. I also switched stocks too, not really impressed with the rifle traded stocks plus some ammo on my buddy's end for the Mcmillian stock, and got a choate tactical stock that was dip coated in ATACs. I'm such a sucker for that camo pattern... I will head to te range Saturday and see if the problem persists and if it does then I will end up selling the bloody rifle because I'm sick of dealing with this.

I also switched stocks too, not really impressed with the rifle traded stocks plus some ammo on my buddy's end for the Mcmillian stock, and got a choate tactical stock that was dip coated in ATACs. I'm such a sucker for that camo pattern... I will head to te range Saturday and see if the problem persists and if it does then I will end up selling the bloody rifle because I'm sick of dealing with this.
Wow, can't believe you traded theMcMillan for a Choate. I've had both and to me there is no comparison. I would have been interested in buying the gun if it didn't work for with the McMillan.

Hope you get it worked out. These are good guns.

I ended up buying an FN SPR from another member on this forum anyways. Besides that I got 600 rounds of FGMM 168 and 175 grainers from it. If I can't get it to work ill send it back to savage and have them fix it then probably rebarrel it to a 243 or something and eventually get a manners T4A for it.
The funny thing is the choate is a stiffer stock too because its full length aluminum bedded where the McMillan wasn't even pillar bedded. Ill screw around with this rifle and if I can't get it to work out ill post it up for sale. Thanks for the advice here guys