• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10fp feeding problem

dive29

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2008
Fort Collins, Colorado
I have a Savage fp10 in the factory H-S Precision stock with detachable magazine. If I load one round at a time into the magazine , the bolt will pick it up every time. If I load it to capacity, 4 rounds, it will not feed every time. It will usually feed the first 2 then the bolt will just slide over the top of the bottom 2. Any ideas? Weak spring? I know I am not short stroking it because when it would do it, I would make sure the bolt came all the way back when I tried to feed it again and it would still go over the top. I sent H-S Precision an email a couple of months ago but never heard anything back. Thanks for the help.

Re: Savage 10fp feeding problem

Is there any binding in the follower that would cause the rounds to get jammed up in the mag? If not, I would venture to say that it's a weak magazine spring. Do you have another magazine you can try? It would be nice if you could verify it only happens with one magazine, or it happens to all magazines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dive29</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's the only magazine I have for it. I have a problem paying $80 for a 4 round mag. </div></div>

Yeah, I can completely understand that. Maybe try extending the spring a bit and see if that fixes it. If that's the case, might be time to order a replacement.

maybe open the feed lips a litte? and call savage not HS. its a savage mag system in an HS stock. see what savage will do for ya. and fwiw, my 4 round did the same. i used the SSS 9 rounder and then the DarkEagle custom 10 round ones and then went to CDI and alpha mags. there are two guys making hi cap savage mags on this site

I know exactly what you are talking about. I was at the range today shooting a new Savage 10FCP McMillan. Unfortunately I did not come up with a resolution. I found that cycling the bolt slowly helped the majority of the time. And pull the bolt back all the way to the rear.

One of the most overlooked is that the bottom metal to action spacing is not right.

If the inletting is too shallow for the bottom metal or the action got bedded and raised a bit too much, then you will have feed issues.

Not saying that's your case as I don't have it to play with but I have seen it happen and playing with the feed lips will only aggravate the situation.

To test the spring - load only one in the mag and try to feed - this is the weakest point of the spring - minimal compression. If it feeds right, then your spring is generally OK.

Just some thoughts to check on.

Dan

____

10 Round Savage Mags
Darkeagle Custom Inc
www.darkeaglecustom.com

"Any inanimate object will just sit there until a person picks it up.
What they do with it depends on what kind of respect they've been taught for human life"

Just curious if this ever got fixed? Or if anyone else has had this happen? I am considering the same rifle but wouldnt want to run into this problem again. Yes ... I used to have a Savage .17hmr that would do something similar where it just wouldnt feed unless I pushed the magazine upwards with my left hand while closing the bolt.

Old post I know but my savage 10 FCP-HS is going the same thing with the factory mag. Shouldn’t be a weak spring as I have been using this rifle for single feed comps up until I started PRS. The magazine had never been used up until now, and same ad OP, single rounds in the mag feed fine, any more and the bolt skips over the top. Thoughts?