• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10fp

mrmccoy

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
Hammond,La
Hello all!
I did some horse trading and ended up with a savage 10fp le. The first thing I noticed was how terrible the stock looks then saw the stock was rubbing the barrel. My question is what should I do? Should I do a bedding job on the "stock" stock or should I pick up a new stock? I plan on doing a little deer hunting and some paper punching. I'm thinking about a B&C Duramaxx. any comments on that?

Re: Savage 10fp

I came to the same conclusion with my 12, I bought the B&C which is a fantastic stock, but to my surprise either the bedding block is crooked or cut wrong by a few thou. after rebedding the rifle to take out the slack, its ok.

I'd also vote for the medalist.But the dura maxx is a step up from the factory tupperware.

just go to sharp shooter supply and order u a stock. then call don geracie and ask him to bed it for you. you will not be disapointed. he did my rebarrel job and ive never been happier. hes local too. hes in independence

The fella I got the rifle from never really said a whole lot about how well it shot. I'm thinking he couldn't get it to group very well so he got rid of it. I may play with the factory stock just for the heck of it.

Had the exact same thing happen to me. Don't waste your time with the stock. Throw it far away and don't look back. If you can swing it, call Kevin at Stockade 308.432.5114 and have him true and time it. I should have never touched mine and I would have spent less in the long run. Some of the Savages are shooters right out of the box. Others...well, must have been made on some other day ending in "y". I got one of the "others" and have been less than impressed. It's a lot better now, but like I said, I would have been better off had I just sent it off from the get go.

I work in a machine shop and there is alot of stainless steel laying around this place.

I have another question: When I took the stock off the mag. spring and follower poped out. I'm assuming this is considered a "blind magazine"?!?

I have a Stockade on mine, and it's a good stock, cheap.

DSC_0412.jpg

I looked on the website but couldn't find it. What is involved in truing and timing? How much does that typically run?

The stockade stocks do look good.
Which stock do you have JRose?

True and Time of the action is the process of truing the raceways for the bolt, truing up the bolt face, and lapping and truing of the locking lugs. Timing the action is taking a coil or two out of the cocking spring so that the action becomes easier to cycle (cock). You will fill a noticeable difference in the bolt handle when you lift it to cycle the action after the action is timed. I also believe that when Kevin performs these adjustments to the action he also turns the barrel back a thread or so into the receiver. Call Kevin, he is a great guy to talk to and will take the time to really make sure you are getting what you want and need. He can also give you a better description of what he does to the action than I can.

I originally sent Kevin my stock Savage rifle and had him install a recoil lug and perform the true and time job, as well as bedding the action into one of his stocks. The rifle was a .308Win Mod 10FPLE. It was a shooter when I bought it, and it came back from Kevin a tack driver. Some time latter I had him install the VBull DBM system and a Benchmark SS barrel chambered in .260 Rem. Honestly, the rifle out shoots my GAP Rem700 (which is also in .260Rem). It's less finicky on ammo than the GAP is, and it was considerably less money to build.

You will find some guys that knock the Savage rifles here on the Hide, and it may be that they had bad experiences with Savages. I won’t argue that there probably are some Savages out there that are dogs, but I’ll tell you this; I have had Remington rifles that didn’t shoot worth a shit as well! I had a PSS in .308 that I did all kinds of work to, and it would not group better than 1”. I still buy and shot both brands of rifles. I just happen to think that Savage is a seriously underrated rifle, and is an excellent platform for the beginning shooter.

Thanks tman300wm! I'm new to the whole bolt rifle stuff and haven't herd that yet. It will be a little while before I will be ready to send it over to him. Heck I haven't even shot the rifle yet but judging from the stock rubbing the barrel my results won't be very good.
Thanks for all the info guys!

Well, I made a quick trip the the range in the rain yesterday. I shimmed the action so the barrel was hitting the stock......quick temperary fix! All I had was some south africian surplus and no bags to rest on, just a bipod. I managed to put all 8 shots in a 3in circle @ 100yards. All the shots that were off I called. Considering the conditions and the surplus ammo it did better then I expected! I just need to do a little research and get some load data together.

Here's my Savage. See signature.

cimg3240.jpg

Just started reloading. The first 5 rounds I ever loaded shot a .550" group.

targetb.jpg