• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Savage 10PC medium or low rings

JC98

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2014
Hey all,
I read the sticky and understand the math but I don't have the base ordered yet and can't figure out what measurement for scope mount + barrel taper is to give me a conclusive answer on what height rings to get.

Gun is Savage 10 PC in .308
Base will be a TPS XP tactical Picantinny +20MOA aluminum rail
Rings are TPS Low or medium
Lows are 23.51mm rail to centerline
Mediums are 27.29 rail to centerline
Scope is vortex viper HST 4-16X44 Height on their website is shown as 2.03 inches
Butler creek caps guessing at 1/8 inch or 3.17mm

If anyone knows a formula to figure out the height of the front of your base/rail from the barrel and could share it with me I would really appreciate it. I am guessing I will need the medium rings but if I can go with the low rings I would definitely like to.

I searched but didn't see anything sorry I know this get's asked a lot

TPS low are .925" - not all that low. You will be fine with them. I use them with a 50mm objective scope on a similar rifle (Howa with 10 moa base) and they leave plenty of clearance.

I have 20 MOA and 30 MOA bases on my Savages with bull barrels and Vortex medium plus rings are 1" at center line from base and have no problem with a 56 mm scope bell.

Just for another reference, I have a 10 PC in both .223 and .308. On the .308 in running a SS 5-20 x 50 in Aadland triple lug rings - lows .83" high. Scope also has Aadland scope caps on and there is plenty of clearance. The .223 has a SS 3-9 x 42 in Aadland triple lug lows - .83" high with Aadland scope caps and there is tons of room/clearance. These scopes have 30 mm tubes. Sounds like you should be good to go with lows and your Vortex with a 44 mm bell.