• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage 11 Hog Hunter vs Rem 700 AAC-SD?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    I'm debating between these two rifles and wanted some more opinions and a couple questions answered if possible.

Pros to Savage:
    Considerably cheaper (more money to glass, stock, retirement, debt, etc.)

Accu trigger (I prefer this to the rem.)

Pros to 700:
    16.5" barrel (I'm not opposed to the 20", and it's not a deal breaker either way)

Hinged floor plate

So I have a few other questions:

How much would it cost to convert the hog hunter from a blind magazine to a hinged floor plate?

Is the B&C medalist stock series available for the savage 11?

is the barrel contour on the hog hunter thinner than the 700?

On a related note, what stock comes on the Savage 10 Precision Carbine? Does that have a larger countour than the Hog Hunter? I like the precision carbine as it has detachable mags, and if the stock is a B&C or better I may be better off going that route...if its not B&C or similar, then it's not worth it.

Edit: looks like savage doesn't really do a BDL style hinged floor plate. So what are the cost effective options for a DBM?

Last edited:
    All the b&c stocks will fit the hog hunter. You can get stealth bottom metal from pacific tool and gauge for the hog hunter for $125 and an accurate mag for $65. The hog hunter can be adjusted to 2lbs on the factory trigger and there's about five after market triggers for it. It's the same action as a model 10. The bolt is oversized already and the barrel is a 10 twist medium heavy threaded with iron sites. It's a fine gun capable of sub half moa with good handloads. I don't see any advantage really of having the remington over it. You can rebarrel the savage easier. I'm building a 284 winchester off a hog hunter without the nut and keeping the 308 barrel in case I don't like it. Mine has an mcs t3 stock with accurate bottom metal and dbm. I'd make sure and bed the rifle and see if you can get a better trigger if you get the savage. In my mind, the savage is just as good as the precision carbine and the remington.

hog hunter vs femmy...meant remmy

All the b&c stocks will fit the hog hunter. You can get stealth bottom metal from pacific tool and gauge for the hog hunter for $125 and an accurate mag for $65. The hog hunter can be adjusted to 2lbs on the factory trigger and there's about five after market triggers for it. It's the same action as a model 10. The bolt is oversized already and the barrel is a 10 twist medium heavy threaded with iron sites. It's a fine gun capable of sub half moa with good handloads. I don't see any advantage really of having the remington over it. You can rebarrel the savage easier. I'm building a 284 winchester off a hog hunter without the nut and keeping the 308 barrel in case I don't like it. Mine has an mcs t3 stock with accurate bottom metal and dbm. I'd make sure and bed the rifle and see if you can get a better trigger if you get the savage. In my mind, the savage is just as good as the precision carbine and the remington.

I have both of them in my warbag as we speak. If I could only pick one it would be the savage. Although the remmy does have more aftermarket accessories the savage still has plenty. Mine is in a B&C medalist 2 that I have shaved the wings off of and I have glass bedded it. The B&C has an aluminum chassis so bedding it isn't technically needed but I find some rifles like the first couple inches of the receiver bedded and groups will tighten up...and none shoot worse. I don't think there's anything wrong with the savage internal magazine so I've left that stock and besides it lays a heck of alot nicer across the hood of my pick up truck when I'm killing hogs with it out here on the ranch or from the bags off the bench. The accutrigger is great but I set mine for a 1# break so I have replaced all my bolt gun triggers with the Rifle Basix brand. The safety still works great with positive sear engagement and it breaks to fire like an icicle. I use a S&B 5x25 for all my load work up and this is one of the few factory rifles that can actually outshoot that scope. My best group to date is five in .227 @ 100yds. 69 gns Sierra bthpmatch , Varget powder, Fed. match primers and Lapua brass. It averages just under .4" with an AWC suppressor and it is chambered for .223. I used the "equalibrium" method of cleaning it as I do all my rifles and after 500 rounds it is just now entering its sweet spot...an I expect it to stay there for the next several thousand. A friend and I took it out behind the barn the other day and were consistantly making hits on a cedar stump that I like to shoot at because I know the range and it's 950 yds. I had to dial in 43.5 minutes of elevation and 10.25 minutes of wind, it wouldn't be my first choice as a 1000yd hog gun but if I was that hog I wouldn't stand in the same spot for very long.

I've bought a 20" aac-sd in .308 and have been a disappointed in the accuracy. When loading .010" of the lands, I got decent accuracy, about .75 moa. With a solid 1/8" of free bore in that Remington chamber, that put the rounds way past magazine l length leaving me with a single shot rifle. I spent half the cost of a new barrel on three different powders and six different bullets and got nowhere inside magazine length. 500 rounds of ammo and nothing will group better than an inch. I gave up and am having it re barreled.

Ptg has a dbm for savages now. Not too badly priced if I remember right. My brother-in-law has the hog hunter and loves it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To answer your other question, the 10PC comes in an accustock.
    It is better than the hogue, not as nice as a B&C M40 style.
    There is no need to change it, especially on a hunting rifle.
    My Dad has a 10PC and it shoots very well indeed.

Don't forget about the Howa 20" HB rifle, cheaper than both, at least equal to both, superior in some ways.
    Also comes in a Hogue stock, B&C makes stocks for them.
    You can buy the barreled action (when available) for less than 400.

As long as you are planning to replace the internal magazine in the Savage, I would say that is the better route. I have a hog hunter in 223, and it is an absolute pain to load compared to my 700. Both shoot well enough for me, so the money saved is worth it in my book.

IMO, loading the Savage blind mag isn't any issue, especially since it allows OALs of 3.00" (308 version).

Unloading it is another story.

As I said over on ARF, look hard at the 10P-SR, sku 22076, which you can find on Slickguns.