• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing savage 110 actions question

john roland

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2010
I am looking at starting a savage switch barrel rig. Will a savage standard 110 action be long enough and strong enough for a 338 edge clip feed? I am looking at taking a 110 action have it reamed for a large shank for a 260, 7 r saum, and 338 edge.

Don't open the threads up. It doesn't need it.

Pretty sure you mean magazine, not clip.

If it is a centerfeed action it is long enough for an Accurate Mag DBM setup. If you have a stagger feed action, you can lengthen the mag opening to mimic a centerfeed magazine.

Accurate Mag makes the DBM for the Savage Lapua. This uses the CIP length magazines. Problem with the magazines is that they are not compatible with RUM brass. They need to have the forward dimple removed (milled) for them to work.

I've built a couple 338 Edges on Savage actions. They are not well suited for this caliber as a repeater. Too much irreversible work, and hassle. They are very well suited as a single shot 338 Edge.

Thank you for your advise. I just picked up a donor action to start this project.