• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

savage 110 ba in .338 or 300 win mag?

gsxcorey

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
I am pretty dead set on this model of rifle due to the value. I want to be shooting at 1000yards accurately with this next purchase. However, I also want to go big game hunting like elk in the future. I kind of want one long range rifle that can do it all. I will be reloading so the cost of ammo isn't really a concern.

The only thing that is making me nervous of the .338 is the kick as I don't want to develop a flinch. I have shot 30-06's hunting without a brake or pad on the butt and i'm hoping this gun won't kick that bad due to the fact it's going to be coming up on 20lbs loaded, scoped, and loaded mag along with a muzzle brake.

Just curious on what your guys opinions are? I really do want one long range gun that I can target shoot with, but also big game hunt if need be (I realize it's heavy) and am curious on what all caliber you guys think would work better?

Re: savage 110 ba in .338 or 300 win mag?

My TRG42 in 338Lapua does not kick any worse than a 308 or 30-06.. Far as economics even reloading is an expensive undertaking with the 338 as compared to most other domestic rounds.. The 300 WinMag would more than likely do what you are looking to do and be easier on the pocket..

Rick

I believe the savage weighs a bit more as well so the recoil would be a tad less I'm assuming. I realize it will cost more, I just want to purchase one rifle that can do most anything long range and hunt animals larger then a deer at range.

My savage .338 doesnt not hardly kick at all. maybe inbetween a 270 and .308 without brake. it is however a blast to shoot haha. The weight of the rifle helps with recoil, but i would not want to trek with it huning. I dont hunt so i can only imagine hiking with it. There are 2 other models of savage .338, with the middle of the three having similiar ergonomics as the BA, with alot less weight.

dang. That's what I'm hearing. I really want the .338 for the terminal velocity, but I didn't want one that will make start flinching. Sounds like the recoil isn't bad at all.

A14: just curious, but accurate is yours as I've been reading online and hearing a few say they are not that accurate, and other saying they are very accurate and under 1moa.

I to am looking at the Savage .338 LM. I have a bad shooting shoulder and wondered the same thing. I had a .270 that kicked the snot out of me. I normally run a 7mmRemMag and haven't had any problems. I want a little more knock down power on elk at further distances...

I'd vote for 338 Lapua if the ammo isn't so expensive. You're literally chambering a $5 bills each time you work the action. I did a little rough estimate. It has a barrel life of about 1,800 rounds, it'd cost you $7,650 for $70/box if you don't reload. about $1500 if you reload the fired cases (5 reloads with 300SMK).

But... the ability to reach out to a mile and beyond is worth it.