• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 elite precision 6mm creedmoor set up for a new( ish) shooter.

Newlongrange

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2021
Central Ohio
Couple weeks ago I entered a raffle and much to my surprise I won a Savage 110 elite precision rifle in 6mm creedmoor.

So having no real experience in ranges beyond 300 yards, I was hoping for some advice on set up for at least 500 yards and eventually longer ranges as I get more familiar.

Also, I have read that the round eats barrels. How hard is it to get replacement barrels, cost and where from.

Barrel should last at least 900-1800 rounds, if you don't push it full tilt boogie.

Not really any different than a 243.

Pre-chambered Savage barrels are made by everyone: Shilen, Proof Research, Criterian and another 30 people. Google pre-fit Savage barrel. Cheapo ones are $250 and top end ones are around $1000 retail (700-850 street price) for carbon fiber wrapped barrels.

Elftman and Jard make a better trigger for about $300 ish.

I'd buy a Spuhr scope mount $400

Leupold 5-25 Mark 5 scope if you have about $2000 to blow.

But most 34-35mm scopes in the $1500-5000 range will work.

Reactions: T-dog
I'd buy the best scope you can afford up front. If you really get addicted you will be glad you did. Buy once cry once is a popular saying.
A good quality used scope that can be found is a good buy and if it turns out you loose interest you can usually recoup your cost.
If you keep shooting you won't have to sell a lower cost scope at a loss then spend more money on another.
Very good scopes can be had for around 2k ish used. The optic is at least as important as the rifle if not more so. With a good scope most factory rifles today can do remarkably well. If your shooing out to 1000 yards and varring distances in between you will be cranking the elevation turret all the time. Good tracking and repeatability of your scope is critical. Once you shootout your Creedmoor barrel you could re barrel to a different 6mm caliber thats a bit more conducive to longer barrel life, assuming your going to reload there are multiple options like 6mm br, bra, dasher, etc. Ive had good results with Arc scope rings also, unique design that works well, they're like $180.

I’m in a bit of a quandary then, I’m not sure I have the budget to set it up properly. I would hate to sell it or not use it but set up may be cost prohibitive.

The raffle was at a local gun store, I have not checked but I might be able to exchange it for store credit in which I could use to get a Sig Cross in 6.5 creedmoor or a Christensen arms modern precision rifle in 6.5 PRC and use the extra money towards set up.

But would still likely have the same issues with affordability.

Last edited:
Reactions: fdkay
neither of those would be better for precision shooting unless you NEED something lightweight and based on your posts you dont

also going to 6.5PRC would not be a wise choice. way more recoil not only because of the cartridge but also rifle weight

they both still need a good scope

and realistically. you're not likely going to shoot out a barrel within the next year anyways

sit on the 110 elite precision until you can afford a vortex venom 5-25 or strike eagle 5-25 and 400 rounds of factory ammo

you're in the middle of Ohio. there are TONS of resources around you

Reactions: Carlos Danger
I’m in a bit of a quandary then, I’m not sure I have the budget to set it up properly. I would hate to sell it or not use it but set up may be cost prohibitive.

The raffle was at a local gun store, I have not checked but I might be able to exchange it for store credit in which I could use to get a Sig Cross in 6.5 creedmoor or a Christensen arms modern precision rifle in 6.5 PRC and use the extra money towards set up.

But would still likely have the same issues with affordability.

What budget do you have for scope/rings/etc?

Reactions: jcmullis2
What budget do you have for scope/rings/etc?
You said it man. $2k- $5k scopes, why? I think we qualified at 500 yards with iron sights. The OP might not wanna spend that much and there’s less expensive accessories that’ll get him out past a 1000 yards. The type of shooting and budget will help a great deal.

Agree with the 6.5 prc comment
On the recoil, it’s way overkill for 1000 yards. Unfortunately this shooting isn’t getting any cheaper. Probably a 30-40% increase in ammo costs in past year.

Reactions: T-dog
Well I have an really old Redfield mildot scope that’s been in a box for 2 decades never used.
Now that laughter has stopped I can’t say what my budget is atm, I’m waiting on my health insurance to hopefully approve an AAC device for my son.

Realistically i would like to keep a scope at around $750 which I know is not much to work with

Well I have an really old Redfield mildot scope that’s been in a box for 2 decades never used.
Now that laughter has stopped I can’t say what my budget is atm, I’m waiting on my health insurance to hopefully approve an AAC device for my son.

Realistically i would like to keep a scope at around $750 which I know is not much to work with
You can get something like the strike Eagle and a used mount for that. That’s a good rifle especially for your price. Try it out and you can always sell it if you don’t end up using

You can get a decent Vortex, Athlon, or something in that price range from the px. I’ve found a couple good buys on new and like new scopes and everything else on the px so watch the for sale section.

Arken 6-24 is under budget and will do everything you need.
They get very good reviews.
A good set of rings and a decent bipod will get you up and running.
Congrats on winning the rifle.

Reactions: tball
You don't need $400 mounts holding $2000 scopes to hit 500 yards. Find a used Athlon Tac, or something like it. Hell, a fixed 12X SWFA SS would work great. Since it's a Savage you can pop that barrel nut right off and put one of a number of other boom sticks on it. Burn out that 6 Creed learning your fundamentals and have fun with it.

You don't need thousands of dollars in mounts and optics to shoot 500+. My $500 Viper does just fine. Run average velocity loads and you'll get lefty of life out of the barrel. Shoot it and enjoy it.

There is plenty to get in that price range that will do very well for you. I still have my Vortex PST Gen II - don't use it any more, but when I did, it did plenty well out to about 1500 yards. Beyond that, eye strain started to be an issue for me - still, the vast majority of people will never push mid-hundred dollar scopes to their limits.

My advice is to get something you can sell for good value if and when you outgrow it. Plenty of options between Athlon, Vortex, etc.

My recommendation is to call Doug @ CameralandNY.

Health issues with family, especially kids, sucks. Hope your son beats whatever is ailing him. That being said congrats on winning a rifle. If I were in your shoes I’d shoot the tits off of that Savage for much needed stress relief. Cheap is ok, if you end up enjoying banging steel at distance you can always pass the Savage on to your son when you upgrade your rig. For $400 ish on the used market you should be able to find:

Fixed SWFA in 10 or 12x flavor

Mid tier scope base, don’t buy a cheapo but you don’t need a Nightforce

Vortex or similar rings, lows will do if your rocking the SWFA scope

Caldwell bipod

Depending on your location ammo might be a bitch to source at a decent price. Hopefully you can find something to feed the rifle.

Thanks for all the advice. My wife and oldest son ( 13) fell in love with it the moment they seen it, although my oldest is left handed so not sure how that will work.

How is the recoil on the rifle? Never shot a 6mm.

Fortunately my youngest sons health issues are not life threatening, but lots of therapy ( cortical vision impairment and non verbal).

Definitely looking forward to shooting it. Hope to have everything together by next spring. Ammo is running about 35-45 for 20 rounds depending on brand etc. Might just pick up a box or 2 a paycheck.

Thanks for all the advice. My wife and oldest son ( 13) fell in love with it the moment they seen it, although my oldest is left handed so not sure how that will work.

How is the recoil on the rifle? Never shot a 6mm.

Fortunately my youngest sons health issues are not life threatening, but lots of therapy ( cortical vision impairment and non verbal).

Definitely looking forward to shooting it. Hope to have everything together by next spring. Ammo is running about 35-45 for 20 rounds depending on brand etc. Might just pick up a box or 2 a paycheck.
Save your brass, learn to reload.
Lots of very good ammo loaded in lee presses with lee dies. It won't take many rounds to recoup the costs of the reloading equipment.

Reactions: spife7980
You don't need $400 mounts holding $2000 scopes to hit 500 yards. Find a used Athlon Tac, or something like it. Hell, a fixed 12X SWFA SS would work great. Since it's a Savage you can pop that barrel nut right off and put one of a number of other boom sticks on it. Burn out that 6 Creed learning your fundamentals and have fun with it.
Totally agree. No reason to spend a bunch of money just to shoot past 500 yards. The Athlon Midas tac is a damn good scope especially for the price. I had a fixed 10x swfa super sniper about 20years ago. It was built like a tank and had great tracking. My ss was one of my first scopes that I could trust the dials with. I haven’t thought about the swfa ss in a while but good call man👍

Reactions: tball