• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 safety issue

Bridges90

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2017
Ashland, KY
So I have an older savage 110, pre accutrigger my dad bought me for my first hunting rifle about 25 years ago. It came with a cheap synthetic stock with no bedding. I ordered a fully bedded hogue stock. Hogue recommended 50-60in/lb of torque on the 2 main stock screws. I torqued it down to various weights, including hogues recommended and now the safety won’t engage while it’s in the stock. Once taken out of the stock it works just fine. Any clue on how to fix this? Thanks in advance

I haven’t messed with savage in a while. But do remember having this issue just don’t recall why.

Check that the stock is for correct bolt release location (top vs bottom). Also make sure you you float the rear tang (the metal “tongue” under the safety) If this binds it can cause issues. I’ve had to remove material from several for this issue

The rear action screw may be slightly too long. Try a thin washer under the screw head. I could be mistaken but 50~60 in/ lb seems a bit high?
I thought so too, the stock with a nut to be used as a spacer. I used it and it still gave me issues but the torque just might be too much. Hoping to fool with it some this evening

I haven’t messed with savage in a while. But do remember having this issue just don’t recall why.

Check that the stock is for correct bolt release location (top vs bottom). Also make sure you you float the rear tang (the metal “tongue” under the safety) If this binds it can cause issues. I’ve had to remove material from several for this issue
I’ll have to check into that, I’ve read a few things about a screw that can be adjusted. It requires removing the trigger shoe. I haven’t got to tear into it yet so I’m not even sure if my action is set up like the ones I was reading about

50-60 in/lb is not necessarily high for a bedded stock. What is most important is what Mike Casselton posted above. As to what torque that stock and action combo prefers, the OP would be best served to bring his torque wrench to the range with him and test.

Start at say 55 and back off each screw 5 at a time. See if it affects shooting at all. I wouldn’t really want to go too light with a .308. And if he goes with a lighter setting, make sure to check it periodically for the first few range trips. I’ve seen actions loosen in a stock before.

Right after i bought my Savage (3+ years ago) they had a recall on the safety mechanism that affected a certain range of serial numbers, mine wasnt recalled but it could be related to your problem.