• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage 110BA .338 Lapua Magnum - need advice

dlmnick

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2012
Texas, USA
Just picked up a new Savage Arms 110 BA .338 Lapua Magnum. Ive a number of questions for those who have had experience with the optimal set up as well as range time.
One quick thing Id like to offer first though. I speak a little Finnish, and Lapua is pronounced LA-puwha with the accent on the 1st syllable 'La' and the 'pua' spoken softly, almost a single syllable. Im sure your life is now complete that you know this! So...:
1) Harris style bi-pod or a more modern streamlined type with none those springs exposed?
2) Add a small picatinny rail to the handguard to attach a bipod or leave it alone? I want as low a profile as possible to the barrel (when the legs are up)?
3) What is the best monopod for the stock? ( think I know, but humor me!)
4) Ive picjed up a Vortex Razor for it, any opinions on it or an alternative?
5) Having a lost of trouble finding 35mm scope rings in High or Vvery High in the Dallas area. Any recommendations? Im jonsing to shoot this thing and need to raise the scope first! 6) I like a quick detach integrated scope rings. Any opinion on that or recommendations on manufacturer or style and height?
7) Im considering a desert tan or perhaps a top quality camo pattern. Any opinions or recommendations? Should I just leave it black?
8) Is the pistol grip OK? It looks a little wonky! Should I loook into the many other AR tyoe pistol grips? (I assume they will fit??!?)
9) Where can I get a couple spare magazines? I cant find any place on-line that has them in stock!
10) Are there any cool accessories for this rifle? I love to accessorize (they are the man's version of a barbi doll, you know!) ;-)
11) Is there a gun case large enough or worthy to purchase or should I just make a big box to transport this thing?
12) I want to add a carrying handle. Ive added a Mako GMG Picatinny Swivel Carry Handle to my LR308. Is this the best option available?
13) I have a Monstrum Military style green laser rifle sight Im considering to add to the right side rail. Am I wasting my time?
14) Lastly, what are the weaknesses, if any, of this rifle?
I posted this in the wrong forum a week ago, but still got one good response. Hope to hear from you guyz to get more ideas.

Re: Savage 110BA .338 Lapua Magnum - need advice

The first thing I did was to get rid rail setup (1LB 1/2 of ugly), Murphy Precision mount comes with the right screws.
http://www.murphyprecision.com/Products/Item/1006
Next I got rid of the stock and went with a XLR chassis, which uses AI magazines which are $30-40 cheaper. I got a stock mag thats gathering dust.
Get the Accu-shot monopod; http://www.accu-shot.com/Accu-Shot-Monopod-Mounting-Options.php
I have a Laser Devices DBAL I2, but see the need to add more weight to the gun. Hopefully others will chime with suggestions.

Hi Mooner, thanks for the comments. I got a Accu-Shot PRM (Precision Rail Monopod) Standard (BT12) with Quick Knob Option. My first mono-pod, love it. Thanks for the advice. I like the side rails, but hate the AlAly Savage rail. DO you know of any steel rail systems with side rails that will work?
Ill take that stock mag off your hands if you want to part with it!

I left mine as is, shoots 1/2 Moa at 300 yards and bangs steel out to a mile. The rail needs to be blue lock tighted, and the action screwes need to be torqed reguluarly. Other then that We just enjoy shooting the beast.
I use a Plano double scoped rife case to carry mine, and it fits well.

Click image to see a mile shot.

> ..." 14) Lastly, what are the weaknesses, if any, of this rifle ? "
-
Other than BAD factory quality control & Cartridge Chamber machine work .
so far all I can see is, SHITTY on the Feeding . the Magazine is crappy & week on the spring/follower w/ piss-poor feeding on the 5-round Mag . The Mag. Looks be AICS strait-stack 338lm . but with a lesser grade coating/finish on the body & cheep spring & follower . Also there is a factory key-cutout witness on the Receiver for the Lug to be Witness & placed but it is not affixed either .

Savage is an unfinished product & Budget Rifle . & That's what you are buying when you purchase this .338LM 110ba .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">> ..." 14) Lastly, what are the weaknesses, if any, of this rifle ? "
-
Other than BAD factory quality control & Cartridge Chamber machine work .
so far all I can see is, SHITTY on the Feeding . the Magazine is crappy & week on the spring/follower w/ piss-poor feeding on the 5-round Mag . The Mag. Looks be AICS strait-stack 338lm . but with a lesser grade coating/finish on the body & cheep spring & follower . Also there is a factory key-cutout witness on the Receiver for the Lug to be Witness & placed but it is not affixed either .

Savage is an unfinished product & Budget Rifle . & That's what you are buying when you purchase this .338LM 110ba .
</div></div>

Softone, sorry you got a bad one, but this is not a custom piece and I am sure there are and will be problems when rifles are mass produced;however, I as well as others have the rife and have not had any problems as you describe. You can not generalize these things, like they say shit happens. JMHO

Yes I can . & I say Savage is an unfinished product & Budget Rifle . & That's what you are buying when you purchase this .338LM 110ba .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I left mine as is, shoots 1/2 Moa at 300 yards and bangs steel out to a mile. The rail needs to be blue lock tighted, and the action screwes need to be torqed reguluarly. Other then that We just enjoy shooting the beast.
I use a Plano double scoped rife case to carry mine, and it fits well.</div></div>

Cool video. Farthest I've got mine out to is 1480 yards so far, but still a blast to shoot. Do you know the torque settings for the actions screws? I know some rifles' accuracy is greatly affected by the torque settings. thanks

Who makes a short piece of rail with the proper centers for the PRS-2 stock on these? How would you attach the monopod to the factory stock? Thanks, CKruse

ckruse, I bought the BT-12 QK as well and a BT-15 pic rail to see if I can mount the pic rail to the PRS2 buttstock. I'll post up after I get it and attempt to mount it. People with 110 ba's say you can mount the Accushot but I have not seen anyone post how to do it yet.

For rings I would look at American Rifle Company, Excelent products and a Great Company to deal with.
Adam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">45 inch#s per Savage </div></div>

Thank you!

I needed that.

My paws were too large for the stock grip.

Magpul make a nice one along with many others.

I chose this one with a storage pod in the grip for an extra battery and a few allen wrenches.

It comes with multiple inserts for a custom fit.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG050/39

Like all the grips "no matter what the brand" it requires some slight filing/sanding for a perfect fit.

Watch out if you don't file the grip,it will start the hold down
bolt crooked and you will have to use a 1/4 x 20 tap & die to chase the threads.

On the case.....I trimmed the foam on the case.

If you remove the bolt there is no buldge.

You could always go with the $400+ pelican and have all the rails filled with all bells and whistles you desire.

I have Pelican cases for two other rifles and decided at $225 a pop they were overkill (I don't travel). So for my 110 ba I picked up a Plano double scoped rifle rugged case (basically a Pelican knock off). Has 6 latches (two are keyed), wheels, two padlock holes -- pretty much all the same features as my Pelican storm cases but for $130. Really can't beat that. The 100 fits so long as the rubber butt is dialed in all the way.

Does the 110 ba accept any kind of AR grip? I am opposite of dennis -- I have small hands. I don't mind the stock grip but would be interested if there are grip options for smaller hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: littlecalm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Pelican cases for two other rifles and decided at $225 a pop they were overkill (I don't travel). So for my 110 ba I picked up a Plano double scoped rifle rugged case (basically a Pelican knock off). Has 6 latches (two are keyed), wheels, two padlock holes -- pretty much all the same features as my Pelican storm cases but for $130. Really can't beat that. The 100 fits so long as the rubber butt is dialed in all the way.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Does the 110 ba accept any kind of AR grip? I am opposite of dennis -- I have small hands. I don't mind the stock grip but would be interested if there are grip options for smaller han</span>ds. </div></div>

Many AR-15 grips will fit if filed a little.
Takes just a few minutes.

BTW
The Magpul grip custom inserts are just for different hand sizes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: littlecalm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Pelican cases for two other rifles and decided at $225 a pop they were overkill (I don't travel). So for my 110 ba I picked up a Plano double scoped rifle rugged case (basically a Pelican knock off). Has 6 latches (two are keyed), wheels, two padlock holes -- pretty much all the same features as my Pelican storm cases but for $130. Really can't beat that. The 100 fits so long as the rubber butt is dialed in all the way.

Does the 110 ba accept any kind of AR grip? I am opposite of dennis -- I have small hands. I don't mind the stock grip but would be interested if there are grip options for smaller hands. </div></div>

If you go to amazon you can get the Plano for a lot less then $130, with free shipping!!

Diego

Thanks Dennis. You mean like the Magpul MIAD grip kit with changeable panels?

Plano makes a bunch of lower end double rifle cases. The one I have is more like a Pelican. It is $140 on Amazon but I got it somewhere else for $130. Amazon generally does not have the lowest prices. It is the All Weather case and is much more durable than their lower end cases. Model number is 108190.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double-Scoped-Rifle-Wheels/dp/B0029KDHQI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: littlecalm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Dennis. You mean like the Magpul MIAD grip kit with changeable panels? </div></div>

Yes sir,thats the one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: littlecalm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plano makes a bunch of lower end double rifle cases. The one I have is more like a Pelican. It is $140 on Amazon but I got it somewhere else for $130. Amazon generally does not have the lowest prices. It is the All Weather case and is much more durable than their lower end cases. Model number is 108190.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double-Scoped-Rifle-Wheels/dp/B0029KDHQI </div></div>

My bad, I stand corrected!! and thanks for the link, I have searched for double scope case and this one never came up. For the record I use this one for my BA and it works good, though not as robust as the one Lcalm suggested.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double-Scope...9164&sr=1-1

Best advise I can give you is go shoot it!

It's a hoot
smile.gif

Reload for it or it's spendy to play with.

Love mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: littlecalm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, I will give the Magpul grip a try and report back. </div></div>

File the horizontal part of the grip at the top.

Look where it joins the bottom of the trigger guard,

when you install it you will see the grip protrudes below the guard about 3/32 of an inch.

File/sand just enough off the top to make the grip flush with the guard for a perfect fit and you're done.

Again,dont start the hold down screw without filing,it will start to strip the threads.

DSC_0687.jpg

I use the Voodoo tactical drag bag it works great for the 110BA.

Ive noted a few quality issues too, but overall Im happy with it! Thanks for your reply! :)

Diego-ted, thanks for the reply. I enjoyed your pics and vids. I live near Dallas and the longest range I found is only 500meters. I setled on a Pelican case and Im really pleased.
Do you live near SanDiego? Your range looks great!

ckruse - I used an old scope mount for my Weatherby Vanguard. I had to counterbore the under side of the mount hole to clear that raised area of the threaded boss. SInce the bottom of the stock and the scope mount both have a curved surface and the single screw holds it in place nicely. The curved surfaces match pretty well and this keeps the rail from pivoting with the single screw.

Thanks all for your comments and help.
I ended up using Vortex Rings, low; I finally received the U.S.Optics SN3 scope and wowie zowie is it sweet!
I started with a Harris Bipod but upgraded to a Atlas BT10-LW17 Bipod 1913 Picatinny Rail Mount 4.75" to 9" Aluminum Black. It is pricey, but a good bipod!
I purchased a nice Pelican case and hand cut an outline in the foam with a separate pattern for the bolt and bottom cuts for some of the accessories on the left side.
The last thing I want to do is replace the Savage Magpul PRS stock with a standard Magpul PRS Stock. I am designing an adapter and seriously considering machining the stock Savage trigger group block to give me the best results in mounting the new stock right where I want it. Ill post the design and then the results if I do it. I already bought the Magpul P.R.S. stck, so Im pretty serious about this.

Hi Mooner, Would you like to sell that spare magazine for the BA 110 .338 Lapua Magnum you mentioned you have lying around? If so, Id be happy to agree a price.

BR Operator57

Sightron is the best glass for the money, makes my Vortex look like trash!

Sightron`s doesn`t track very well but they have good glass.