• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage 110ba vs Armalite AR-30

Falcon9

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2013
Orange County, Ca
I'm new to this forum but have been using it for info for quite a while. I was hoping to get some guidance on what rifle to purchase. I am new to ELR shooting and do not want to spend huge amounts of money on an AI. I have seen mixed reviews of both rifles and was hoping that someone could help point me in the right direction. I apologize if I am rehashing a subject that has been beaten to death but I am ready to purchase and would really appreciate some experienced advice.

Re: Savage 110ba vs Armalite AR-30

Nothing bad to say about my Savage 110 FCP HS. Pretty accurate for a cheap(er) rifle. It's the same as the BA minus the stock from what I hear. Cant say anything on the armalite though, never been behind one.

Re: Savage 110ba vs Armalite AR-30

I can't give you both sides, but I do have the .300 WM Savage 110 BA with a Nightforce scope (get the NF high rings too - you need a lot to clear the front rail - which is already made with a 20 MOA adjustment). I think I'm like you, I wanted to shoot without spending more than I had.
I like it. You get what you think you're getting. It's American. It's accurate, heavy, adjustable enough to fit, handles a variety of ammo. The action is smooth and trigger is not bad at all. It accepts ACIS platform mags. The recoil is tamed enough, muzzle blast will bother your neighbors on the line though. It was built well enough, but for mine, the muz brake was a little off from the 12 o'clock position. Which bothers me, but not the rifle. I think it's overdone as for tacticool (side rails, yet not on the bottom for a bipod). It's a lot of high carbon steel and looks like it came off a nice greasy assembly line - accurate to the Savage brochure. The important parts are machined well. The barrel is easier to replace than some others when the time comes.
Think it over, and save up more money if you need more rifle, but for the money, you'll find it a fine choice.
I do know Savage is good on warranty and customer service. Not for this one, but a .22 I sent back and forth a few times to get right. They are good people.