• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage 111 long action to use

SQUATCH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
In a Cave
Extremely new to the building of a rifle and in doing some digging there appears to be a shit load of different calibers to go after with this. I am not some competition guy or anything so I don't have to worry about winning the gold anytime soon however I do want to get into long range shooting and take that into hunting as well. The action I will be working with as mentioned is the 111 in 7mm mag. Think on terms of economical as I don't have those rare money trees growing out back. So far I have had the advice of going into the 7wsm. I have also seen .260 or 6mmBR. Again I am new to the game so if there is any suggestions on calibers or things to look out for like hidden costs going one route or the other I would appreciate it a lot for some help.

Re: savage 111 long action to use

I used my 7mmRM action changed the bolt head and built a 284 Win. Absolutely love the caliber.

Re: savage 111 long action to use

Looks like I might be heading down the path of .260 as it was pointed out that that brass and is very affordable and still very solid performance (Thanks Mike). Looks like I will need to shorten the bolt face which won't be bad since it is a savage (thanks Steve. Looks like Northland Shooter Supply will have the barrel I need plus allows for personal installation which is a huge plus (Thanks again 762-Steve). Next is just stock and dbm.