• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Savage 12 F/TR stock

NoahbodyImportant

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2011
NE Ohio
I have the Savage 12 F/TR laminated stock.

1. Does anybody know how much is the Savage PALMA adjustable stock only cost? I tried calling Savage Custom, but long hold times, I gave up.
savpalma01.jpg

2. Does anybody know who can take my standard laminated stock and make it into the stock like the Palma, with the adjustable cheek and butt? ... and how much will that cost.
savage12ftr.jpg

Re: Savage 12 F/TR stock

Try Fred at Sharp Shooters Supply....he can either do it or tell you who does.He also can get most any Savage part.

Do a search on several shooting forums before doing business with Sharp Shooter Supply. There are multiple horror stories on here alone.

The rifles are so cheap, just by one of each and be done with it. You can have both rifles for about $2700, less than the cost of one decent build.

Check out Jim Briggs at Northlanders,

Below is the last contact info I have for him. He often has access to parts that most do not from Savage. I keep some Savage parts in stock but none of their stocks. Another good source is Numrich Gun Parts. They are like a junkyard for gun parts. Best to call them vs looking on their site.

New Contact Information for NSS:
E-mail - [email protected]
Phone - 763/682-4296
Fax - 763/682-6098
Mailing address:
PO Box 333
Buffalo, MN 55313

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out Jim Briggs at Northlanders,

Below is the last contact info I have for him. He often has access to parts that most do not from Savage. I keep some Savage parts in stock but none of their stocks. Another good source is Numrich Gun Parts. They are like a junkyard for gun parts. Best to call them vs looking on their site.

New Contact Information for NSS:
E-mail - [email protected]
Phone - 763/682-4296
Fax - 763/682-6098
Mailing address:
PO Box 333
Buffalo, MN 55313

Mike</div></div>

I sent him an email the 2nd week in January and never heard back from him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try Fred at Sharp Shooters Supply....he can either do it or tell you who does.He also can get most any Savage part.</div></div>

I sent him an email yesterday and havent heard back, yet.

Funny thing is, that's the same service I got when I was looking for Savage parts 2 years ago. That's what started me down the road of getting my FFL (done), learning to use a lathe (still learning), and starting to stock parts for Savages. I see a huge market in Savages as long as the customer service is there. I've been on the waiting list to get a time and true for almost 2 years with SSS. In that time I have done a bit of learning and repairing on my own for myself and friends. I'm in no means a Savage expert but the complete lack of customer service is making me try.

PM me your info and I'll see what I can do for you. I'm still fairly new in Savage's eye so they may not give me much but I'll give it a try for you.

Mike Russell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoahbodyImportant</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try Fred at Sharp Shooters Supply....he can either do it or tell you who does.He also can get most any Savage part.</div></div>

I sent him an email yesterday and havent heard back, yet. </div></div>
try multiple emails over months, they do not answer the phone either. The work is good the business end is very neglected. There must be a vacuum of smiths doing the savage work or this would not be tolerated.

you can get one of those remington aftermarket cheek rests. theres a group buy on here for them. just need to tap some holes stick in a bushing (LOL!) and its adjustable. he's right. just get another one. theyre cheap. decent but cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/

(Money Saver) Prarie Dog Special with adj. LOP and adj. cheek </div></div>

A couple of questions for you. I'm looking into getting one of these stocks. They look very slick and I think Kevin is a stand up guy. I also have the target action, but mine is RBLP. Did you get the third pillar installed? How much work was it to finish the stock with the money saver version? Could you give me a measurement of the stock width where it rides the rear bag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryanjay11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/

(Money Saver) Prarie Dog Special with adj. LOP and adj. cheek </div></div>

A couple of questions for you. I'm looking into getting one of these stocks. They look very slick and I think Kevin is a stand up guy. I also have the target action, but mine is RBLP. Did you get the third pillar installed? How much work was it to finish the stock with the money saver version? Could you give me a measurement of the stock width where it rides the rear bag? </div></div>

I'd have to check my invoice, it was $50 or $75 extra for the third action screw. Money saver was no big deal. Rough it up, put a coat of primer on it to see the small voids. Use Kevin's kit or get some bondo at the local Parts King & fill voids. Let dry/sand/repeat. Paint & clear if desired. Might as well throw in some t-bolts in for the Atlas mount while you are at it. I'll measure it for you when I get home. I think Kevin's stock is really the only tacticool option for a Savage target 3 bolt action. PM me if you need anything. Good Luck!

I called savage with the same question: Do they sell the palma adjustable stock alone and how much. The guy on the other end of the line told me the did . . . for $700 !
They look nice but for that price there are a lot of options.

I've sent him a couple email as well as PMs on savageshooters.com and have yet to hear back from him, although I did call and was able to get ahold of him that way. Once you get him on the phone he is glad to spend as much time answering all your Qs as needed.

It's my understanding that he often parts out rifles, so call him and you might find your stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoahbodyImportant</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try Fred at Sharp Shooters Supply....he can either do it or tell you who does.He also can get most any Savage part.</div></div>

I sent him an email yesterday and havent heard back, yet. </div></div>
try multiple emails over months, they do not answer the phone either. The work is good the business end is very neglected. There must be a vacuum of smiths doing the savage work or this would not be tolerated. </div></div>

I've never had an issue when calling him. Sometimes a woman will answer the phone and take a message but he has always called me back before the end of the day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryanjay11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Could you give me a measurement of the stock width where it rides the rear bag? </div></div>

1.6"

yep... Savage is in the business of selling guns, not parts. Guns, you can buy from a dealer who buys it from a distributor, and get it for significantly less than MSRP. You want to buy the OEM parts, you usually end up buying direct from the manufacturer, Savage or otherwise... and paying full MSRP (plus some, it seems at times).

FWIW, the stocks between the 12 F/TR / F-Class and the 12 Palma / Benchrest models are not interchangeable. Someday, eventually, but not at this point AFAIK.

McRee Precision makes some nice stocks for Savage (and other) rifles. Stockade does good work (fiberglass); SSS makes copies in laminate. Last I heard, McMillan will make you a stock for a Savage action if you ask 'em. Ray Bowman @ Precision Rifle & Tool makes some very nice stocks and will inlet for Savage actions... Joel Russo makes the A5L (laminate copy of the McM A-5) and will inlet for Savage... Choate makes a decent looking A4/A5-ish looking tacticool stock as well.

Lots of options out there...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryanjay11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Could you give me a measurement of the stock width where it rides the rear bag? </div></div>

1.6" </div></div>

Thanks!

I picked up an edgewood bag today. The spacing should be perfect.