• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage 12 LRP 6.5 CM Load Specs

@xedentlyprone

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2012
Texas
Im new here, but I figured I throw out some questions to the Savage creedmoore owners. I plan to run a stock Savage Model 12 LRP 6.5 CM w/ HSP stock for a while.

My plans for ammo is to purchase some factory Hornady 140 A-max s. Eventually Ill reload this brass and develop custom loads.

First question:
What factory ammo is recommended. And is the factory Hornady 140 A-max likely to produce the best groups?

Second question:
What brass, powder (weight), bullet (grain) and seating depth setups would likely produce the best groups?

Now I know the recommendations wont be exactly perfect for my gun, but I figured Id start with yalls recommendations before I purchase an ammo shop.

Thanks

@xe

Bump ^^^^^^^

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/showthread.php?t=98041

If you use the forum, scroll down to "snipers hide reloading depot" threads. Click it. Then scroll down like 1/2 a page, you'll see there is a few threads concerning the creedmoor. Click the thread that says
**6.5 Creedmoor Loads**

There you go. Happy reading.

TIP: buy some reloading books. They will answer all yoru questions. Sierra, Hornady, Lee, Lyman's 49th editiion.....I had TONS of questions, and spent over a month reading online. I bought 2 reloading manuals and every question I had was answered quickly, and easily. Buy the books. They are the best way. I never believed it until I did. I was in the exact same boat as you. I have an LRP on the way. Stay in touch, and let me know whats working for you, as Iwill do the same.

Last edited:
My suggestion is to try the Hornady 140 factory rounds. If it shoots well out of YOUR rifle, reload it to the specs on the box! (Yes their recipe is on the box).

My suggestion is to try the Hornady 140 factory rounds. If it shoots well out of YOUR rifle, reload it to the specs on the box! (Yes their recipe is on the box).

140-gr Factory Load: 140gr A-Max @ 2770 fps, 41.7gr H4350, 210M, Hornady Brass.
120-gr Factory Load: 120gr A-Max @ 2980 fps, 43.5gr H4350, 210M, Hornady Brass.
Here this is off a Nosler forum.

65creedboxx350.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet! Thanks you all for getting me headed in the right direction.

Demolitionman Ill keep you posted on how things go. FYI my a buddy that just purchased the same gun (Savage 12LRP 6.5 CM) from Buds Guns along with me. Ill share our findings with you guys once we get the rigs finalized.

We are waiting on these to come in:

Warne Tactical 20MOA base
Seekins 30mm low rings
Vortex Viper PST 6-24X MRAD (FROM LIBERTY OPTICS)

Thanks,

@xe

Sweet! Thanks you all for getting me headed in the right direction.

Demolitionman Ill keep you posted on how things go. FYI my a buddy that just purchased the same gun (Savage 12LRP 6.5 CM) from Buds Guns along with me. Ill share our findings with you guys once we get the rigs finalized.

We are waiting on these to come in:

Warne Tactical 20MOA base
Seekins 30mm low rings
Vortex Viper PST 6-24X MRAD (FROM LIBERTY OPTICS)

Thanks,

@xe

Okay. So the 120 grain Amax shoots around 1-0.75 MOA from the factory. Im looking for 140 grain Amaxs. Where can I get a hold of them? or find factor 140 Amax match ammo. Ive got the accuracy itch.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/showthread.php?t=98041

If you use the forum, scroll down to "snipers hide reloading depot" threads. Click it. Then scroll down like 1/2 a page, you'll see there is a few threads concerning the creedmoor. Click the thread that says
**6.5 Creedmoor Loads**

There you go. Happy reading.

TIP: buy some reloading books. They will answer all yoru questions. Sierra, Hornady, Lee, Lyman's 49th editiion.....I had TONS of questions, and spent over a month reading online. I bought 2 reloading manuals and every question I had was answered quickly, and easily. Buy the books. They are the best way. I never believed it until I did. I was in the exact same boat as you. I have an LRP on the way. Stay in touch, and let me know whats working for you, as Iwill do the same.
10 yrs latter but wanted to follow up on the Savage 12lrp 6.5 creedmoor the progress.lol

[Also Savage makes a low profile double stack 10rd mag BTW (pretty sweet prs setup)]

So from 2013 to 2020 - just watched YouTube and read books and listened to Eric Cortina etc.

Didn't start reloading until December 2020 and first loads were well....fantastic on very 1st range trip (40 mins left of range time when arrived shooting a sweep of 5 - 5 shots with different charges )

Bullet
140G ELDM

Brass (Hornady Randos)
Range brass pickups(guy that was designated to cleanup/resell brass from the range sold me 400 or so a large pickle jar full of mixed head stamps...I picked through em, got rid of dented cases etc and sorted out all the hornady cases)

Sized with hornady custom FL die set with expander and eldm seating stem

Trimmed cases to min length 1.910

SS wet wash on FART and with brass juice ( 3xs, once to remove bulk of dirt and grim off cases, 2nd to cleanup polish to inspect cases/discard, 3rd after size and trim)

Used a Lyman Gen 6 powder thrower

Powder
H4350 - 39.5 then 40.7, 40.9 , 41.2 and 41.3

All the 40.9 and up groups shot super well so just chose 41.1g H4350 for my load. Keep running it 13ths off the lands and 2ths of headspace. Was super rushed since I only had 30 mins of shooting time left at the range and pulled a few shots....as you can see here's the 3 last groups just aiming at the white to orange transmissions....I recall running out time for the very last shot.

I still dabble with reloading...and I am now checking in on the hide to see what load data can be found for my 7prc using 180g ELDM and a few powders

Attachments

• 20201231_191737.jpg
    20201231_191737.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 9