• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 12fv - 6.5 creedmore

fvalmostthere

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Looking into buying this rifle as a possible project rifle. My end game would be prs style rifle, but no hurry because there aren't many prs matches in the northeast just yet anyways. My idea is to get the 12fv over the axis for the heavy barrel option and the accutrigger. However the internal magazine makes me hesitant. Eventually I want to put it into a chassis, at that point could it be used with box magaizines or would this not work? Any help would be great!

I have a 12FV. Love it. Accurate, affordable, good rifle - if consistently reliable feed and ejection are not important for your use case. Seems to me that PRS has that requirement. I have put enough target rounds down range to experience the once in a while feed/ejection/trigger bug-a-boos Savages are known for. It has frustrated me a few times, and I don't shoot under a clock or any environmental pressures.

The 12 fv would be way above and beyond an axis. All of the chassis i am aware of use aics style magazines. I personally use an xlr element. It feeds and ejects fine but some days i feel muself "lusting" for a custom action

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have some savage rifles and like them for what they are. Actually, one in 308w with a shilen barrel is probably my most accurate rifle. That said, I doubt I'll buy another. I did just buy a tikka T3x CTR used with claimed rd count of 30 on it for $700 after shipping and card fee. Haven't shot it yet, but it looks like new and the action is very smooth. Just saying that there are other affordable options out there that are worth looking at.

I own this rifle. I haven't shot it yet, so take my comments with a grain of salt, but...

To make it into a PRS style rifle you'll need to do some things - and many on the hide will vomit over the thought of a Savage PRS rifle but it can be done. I plan on doing the following to mine.

Chassis: MPA BA Competition Chassis - at it's price point and it's features it's specifically designed for PRS style shooting.
Bolt: PTG Bolt Body - this removes the ever-so common Savage "bolt play" at the rear-most portion of the bolt stroke by over sizing the bolt body by a couple thousandths of an inch.
Extractor: Sharp Shooters Supply Extractor Upgrade - this removes all extraction issues that people can have occasionally with the Savage action.
Bolt Handle: PTG Extended Bolt and Bolt Knob - I think this is a fairly self explanatory modification.
Bolt Lift: PTG or Stockades Bolt Lift Kit - this drastically lowers the amount of force required to cock the bolt that the Savage bolts are known for when cocking on the upward stroke.
Bipod: Take your pick here, I like the style and feel of an Atlas but they're not as rapid to deploy as Harris seem to be.
Scope: Again, this is a take your pick scenario but don't skimp on glass.

You'll also need other basics like 1 or 2 AICS style mags, a 20MOA scope base, and some good scope rings.

Other than that, people have been running Savage's as PRS rifles with the above modifications for a while now - I've talked to several of them before deciding to purchase mine. The deciding factor for my purchase of my 12FV was the sale Cabela's was running, I ended up snagging it for $220 out the door after the mail-in rebate. At that total cost for the initial rifle (barreled action really, since the stock is getting tossed out before even firing the dang thing) I figured it was a no brainer to start a build for PRS/try out this new fangled 6.5 Creedmoor everybody loves.

I own this rifle. I haven't shot it yet, so take my comments with a grain of salt, but...

To make it into a PRS style rifle you'll need to do some things - and many on the hide will vomit over the thought of a Savage PRS rifle but it can be done. I plan on doing the following to mine.

Chassis: MPA BA Competition Chassis - at it's price point and it's features it's specifically designed for PRS style shooting.
Bolt: PTG Bolt Body - this removes the ever-so common Savage "bolt play" at the rear-most portion of the bolt stroke by over sizing the bolt body by a couple thousandths of an inch.
Extractor: Sharp Shooters Supply Extractor Upgrade - this removes all extraction issues that people can have occasionally with the Savage action.
Bolt Handle: PTG Extended Bolt and Bolt Knob - I think this is a fairly self explanatory modification.
Bolt Lift: PTG or Stockades Bolt Lift Kit - this drastically lowers the amount of force required to cock the bolt that the Savage bolts are known for when cocking on the upward stroke.
Bipod: Take your pick here, I like the style and feel of an Atlas but they're not as rapid to deploy as Harris seem to be.
Scope: Again, this is a take your pick scenario but don't skimp on glass.

You'll also need other basics like 1 or 2 AICS style mags, a 20MOA scope base, and some good scope rings.

Other than that, people have been running Savage's as PRS rifles with the above modifications for a while now - I've talked to several of them before deciding to purchase mine. The deciding factor for my purchase of my 12FV was the sale Cabela's was running, I ended up snagging it for $220 out the door after the mail-in rebate. At that total cost for the initial rifle (barreled action really, since the stock is getting tossed out before even firing the dang thing) I figured it was a no brainer to start a build for PRS/try out this new fangled 6.5 Creedmoor everybody loves.

$220...hell of a deal. My next rifle will be 6.5 cm. But, I will likely go with a Tikka...I'm a sucker for smooth actions.

$220...hell of a deal. My next rifle will be 6.5 cm. But, I will likely go with a Tikka...I'm a sucker for smooth actions.

I own a Tikka in .223 for my Trainer rifle.

Honestly, after operating a friends Savage 12FV with the PTG goodies I mentioned above on it it's just as smooth as my Tikka and my worked Remington 5R action. Maybe I'm just a buffoon, but I was very impressed with it.

Now, being a naturally competitive individual if I find myself head over heels into PRS I'm sure I'll end up with something like a Big Horn action but for now, to get my feet wet this should serve its function just fine.

Last edited:
I have a rifle built on a Cabela's 12fv donor action. I paid $250 after mail in rebate. The trigger had to be replaced as the first one had a ton of creep. I sent a waiver and the Savage CS sent me another trigger for free.

I bought a used HSP stock with CDI bottom metal from the px on here and installed a Criterion barrel. I also did the same extractor mod SSS does and replaced the detent ball behind the extractor with a larger one. I also lengthened the ejector to match another Savage action I have that feeds very reliably.

I won the lottery and it had a very smooth action for a Savage right out of the box as well as a pretty tight bolt (again, for a Savage). It averages around .65 moa with groups ranging from .25 to the occasional .85 with most being around .6. I think part of the variability is that I'm a shitty shooter. I'm pretty satisfied for the time being, but the ejection still isn't 100% reliable. When funds become available I will likely bolt together another gun with either a Tikka or Bighorn action. If I were in your shoes and had the funds available, I would start with a Tikka now that Criterion is making cheap prefit barrels for them. If those would have been available when I bolted together my Savage that is the route I would have gone.

If the price is right, nothing wrong with a Savage. If you're not getting a great deal, I'd take a look at something like a Tikka CTR.

Thanks everyone. mi223 so you had no problems dropping that action into a chassis and using aics mags? Also for you tikka fans if i dont build a savage (can do the barrel swap myself) i will just save and get the tikka t3x tac a1

There are a few companies doing prefit barrels for Tikka actions. You might have to use a gunsmith to get the factory barrel off. After that they will be as easy to change as a Savage.

If building a rifle that will get it done for as cheap as possible is the goal, starting with a 12fv is a good option. If you want less ejection headaches and a smoother action, albeit for a few hundred more dollars, using a Tikka and a prefit barrel is a pretty good value.

I actually like Savage actions and I have several rifles put together with them, but after handling several Tikka T3 there is no question the Tikka is a better feeling action.

Thanks everyone. mi223 so you had no problems dropping that action into a chassis and using aics mags? Also for you tikka fans if i dont build a savage (can do the barrel swap myself) i will just save and get the tikka t3x tac a1

Kind of a late response. yes the action dropped right in and bolts down with no issues. i use magpul aics magazines and they do require a very minor adjustment to lock in but it takes less than five minutes with some sandpaper or dremmel

Thanks for the response, sounds good, think im gonna go with the 12fv in 6.5 from cabelas using points (so free) and then drop it in a mdt ess chassis $900 and top it with a Athlon Helos $550. $1450 not to bad!

You'll definitely be happier all around going 12fv over Axis. Lots of parts available for the 12. Chassis and stocks available, rails and other stuff as well. Definitely a SWEET gun for the $. Can always rebarrel down the road. All the Savage guns I have shoot extremely well. Sounds like you have a great scope picked out as well.

cant beat the price of the athlons for the features. Hopefully it lives up to the reviews, I have always been a best bang for your buck kind of guy as long as the quality is there. Buy once cry once.

I'd take a look at the Howa HCR that just got reviewed or an RPR or Tikka CTR. Nothing wrong with the Savage, but you will have to do a bunch of mods (that you will never got your $ back for) to make it use-able in PRS. Generally speaking, I think the others all offer better value than taking a $250 Savage and putting it into a $900 stock and doing a bunch of other mods to make it reliable.

Howa HCR looks awesome in the review especially at that price point. However the predicament that I am in is that since finances are tight I told my wife my next gun would be all cabelas points. Cabelas doesn't sell Howas at the moment and I wanted the Tikka T3x Tac A1, but I am gonna be 5 years saving up points to get it. If I buy the savage I can get the gun itself a lot quicker and get building loads and such faster, while saving for the chassis (not part of the cables deal with my wife). Once I get the chassis I will have a PRS ready rifle.

Other option - use Cabelas points on a Tikka CTR (half the price of the TAC) and save up on a Manners. About the same total money - better overall system IMHO.

You could also get an RPR online cheap or a T3x CTR at Whittaker's for $800 and then use Cabela's points for the scope. There are lots of options. But if the deal with your wife is set a certain way and you're set on the Savage, then you don't need to listen to me anymore. My only point is that I don't think it's the absolute best way to spend your money if you're going to add $1000 of stuff to it not even counting a scope. But it's better to keep the wife happy short term than to have half your money moving forward because you listened to some guy on a forum who suggested something different. ;)

Keeping the wife happy is a must haha, and the deal is set up for guns (I might be cheating it a little putting it in a chassis, but hey its a loophole haha) The CTR is awesome and might be my next gun after, but its $1000 at Cabelas which is like 2-3 years of saving. Too long for a guy who wants to compete now. Plus I really like the looks of that ESS chassis, so yeah I think I am pretty set. You can keep tossing ideas my way though I like options and learning.

Understood. I have no doubt the Savage will shoot. I just got a 10 FCP-SR for my brother in 6.5 (haven't shot it yet). My first bolt gun was a Savage 11 VT in 308 that would shoot tiny, tiny groups with FGMM 168. Great gun - should have never sold it.