• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 17 HMR

I was contemplating a similar question about a month ago. Short answer is that I went with the B17. Several factors pushed me towards the B-series over there 93-series:
  • Mags. There are lots of reports of problems with the 93-series mags, but the rotary design of the B-series mags is similar to the time-tested Ruger design. A big improvement, IMO.
  • Bolt design. The B-series bolt design is closer to the 10-series. It does retain the same or similar front section as the 93-series, but the mainspring/cocking/main screw setup is easy to understand and disassemble and reassemble.
  • Safety location. I prefer the rear tang slide switch of the B-series to the side-of-the-bolt lever of the 93-series.
  • Barrel attachment. The barrel uses a barrel nut and a conical breech making it much easier to replace if desired.
In my research I didn't find many complaints about the accuracy of either rifle. Most of the complaints I found about the 93-series had to do with the magazines. Another thing that pushed me towards the B-series had to do with the difficulties reported with pillar bedding the 93-series. Apparently they inletting of the Boyd's stocks for the 93-series leaves very little material supporting the action screws, making pillar bedding tricky. I have bedded my 10-series into a Boyd's stock and might consider doing so for a 17 HMR so that was a consideration also.

I ended up going with the B17FVSS and have been pleased with it so far. The synthetic stock isn't terrible and only needed a little time with the Dremel to ensure the barrel was completely free floated. I did some cleanup work on the bolt assembly to break the sharp edges in the cocking slot and polish the interface between the front and back halves of the bolt, which made the bolt action much smoother. Even so, it's a Savage, with a shorter bolt lift than the centerfires, so it's not a particularly light or easy bolt lift but it's not unreasonably difficult to operate.

My B17 shows a preference for the CCI A17 ammo, but it shoots pretty much anything from CCI pretty well. My kids love destroying golf balls, Mandarin oranges, eggs, or pretty much anything else that reacts or explodes at 50 yards with it - it's accurate enough that with a 14x scope they seldom miss, even with the crazy Oklahoma wind.

I've not shot the 93R17, so I can't really tell you which is better. The above is just a summary of why I decided the way I did and my impressions of my B17 so far. I hope it helps, I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way.

Reactions: CarbonMTN
I was contemplating a similar question about a month ago. Short answer is that I went with the B17. Several factors pushed me towards the B-series over there 93-series:
  • Mags. There are lots of reports of problems with the 93-series mags, but the rotary design of the B-series mags is similar to the time-tested Ruger design. A big improvement, IMO.
  • Bolt design. The B-series bolt design is closer to the 10-series. It does retain the same or similar front section as the 93-series, but the mainspring/cocking/main screw setup is easy to understand and disassemble and reassemble.
  • Safety location. I prefer the rear tang slide switch of the B-series to the side-of-the-bolt lever of the 93-series.
  • Barrel attachment. The barrel uses a barrel nut and a conical breech making it much easier to replace if desired.
In my research I didn't find many complaints about the accuracy of either rifle. Most of the complaints I found about the 93-series had to do with the magazines. Another thing that pushed me towards the B-series had to do with the difficulties reported with pillar bedding the 93-series. Apparently they inletting of the Boyd's stocks for the 93-series leaves very little material supporting the action screws, making pillar bedding tricky. I have bedded my 10-series into a Boyd's stock and might consider doing so for a 17 HMR so that was a consideration also.

I ended up going with the B17FVSS and have been pleased with it so far. The synthetic stock isn't terrible and only needed a little time with the Dremel to ensure the barrel was completely free floated. I did some cleanup work on the bolt assembly to break the sharp edges in the cocking slot and polish the interface between the front and back halves of the bolt, which made the bolt action much smoother. Even so, it's a Savage, with a shorter bolt lift than the centerfires, so it's not a particularly light or easy bolt lift but it's not unreasonably difficult to operate.

My B17 shows a preference for the CCI A17 ammo, but it shoots pretty much anything from CCI pretty well. My kids love destroying golf balls, Mandarin oranges, eggs, or pretty much anything else that reacts or explodes at 50 yards with it - it's accurate enough that with a 14x scope they seldom miss, even with the crazy Oklahoma wind.

I've not shot the 93R17, so I can't really tell you which is better. The above is just a summary of why I decided the way I did and my impressions of my B17 so far. I hope it helps, I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way.

Thanks for the info. But I also need a treaded barrel.... wish the B17 series would come with longer threaded barrels... So those are my options and one is 16.6" and the other is 22" I have a savage 93 in a 22lr right now and all their mags suck. they come apart after a while of use.

Roger the threaded barrel requirement. I'm just a range shooter in this caliber, so that wasn't really a consideration for me. I really like the looks of the 93R17 TRR SR, and I strongly suspect that's a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock which is a nice design for shooting from a bench or prone.

I found a thread on rimfire central forums that suggests you lose some velocity going to a 16" barrel in 17HMR, so it seems like a choice between reduced velocity on the one hand and reduced mag reliability with better ergos on the other.

For my uses, if I had the threaded barrel requirement and didn't want to wait to see if Savage will expand the B-series to include similar model, I'd probably go with the 93R17. It's a well tried design that's been working for many years. In my case, I went with the B-series primarily for the updates, but I just wanted it for a range toy.

I guess I'm really not much help. Good luck whichever you decide. ?

I have the B17 and it is a very fun and accurate rifle. Can sometimes hold moa at 100 yards if i get a good lot of ammo. Most times it hovers about 1.25 moa at 100 yards. Last few boxes of CCI averaged about .8 moa.

I have the 93R in 17hmr. No experience with the B17. I am 100% pleased with mine. It is about an MOA shooter, actually a little under at about 0.6-0.8" groups at 100y. 1.5" groups at 200y most of the time as long as the wind does not blow too hard or change mid grp. Hitting little shards of broken clay birds at 230y is easy with this rifle. That is the limit of the range. So, easy that my daughter can do it. The 93R seems to prefer the HP ammo over the BT tyoe but shoots all but the Winchester brand about the same. For some reason the Win groups are always a little larger. Neither is a tack driver and at 50y a great 22 with match ammo will beat it. But I think that is mostly the limitations of shooting hi-vel supersonic ammo that is not match grade. If the 22 was shooting stingers it would be a different story.

Irish

Chiming in as a 93R owner. Dropped mine into a Boyd's pro varmint stock (like the TRR model you mentioned) and used DPI bottom metal and some aftermarket 10 rounds mags (highly recommend both upgrades). Great little tack driver.