• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage .17

Re: Savage .17

Mines quite accurate, fun to shoot. Only shot one hog with it so far, usage would determine what ammo you want to use.
It is a fun gun though.
DSC_0192.jpg

I have one, its a really nice rifle for the price. Pros- price, near benchrest type accuracy isnt unheard of, very consistent(doesnt get very hot so it doesnt thrown shots). Trajectory- basically a lazer out to 150-160 yards. Much easier to shoot well past 100 yards than other rimfire calibers. Zero recoil.

Cons- ammo is expensive, seriously i can reload 223 for around the same cost. Bullet selection- most of the bullet choices are way to destructive on small game IF you plan on eating it. They are known to be finnicky with ammo, luckily mine shoots them all well but thats a rarity from what I hear. Its very loud, much louder than a 22lr with sv ammo, nearly but not quite as loud as my 223. Lack of ammo choices- only about 5-6 total ammo choices are availible.

I love mine and am thinking of getting another. Like anthony stated the ballistics for longer range are way better than 22lr, 22mag or 17hm2. The drop even out to 300 yards is only 39" Here is a chart to chew on.
17n22.png

Add on top of the great ballistics the fact that the ammo is cheap, compared to performance, and you have a very fun caliber that makes small vermin explode and larger vermin drop in there tracks.

If you wanna find out more about the 17hmr check out 17hmr.net there is all kinds of info, impact tests and so forth.

I own a 93R17 with a heavy barrel and have shot dime size 5 shot groups at 100yrds on several occasions. Mine is a pre accutrigger model

They are great guns, my exgirlfriends brother gave me a few dimes that he had shot the center out of at 100 yards a while back. They are damn impressive guns!

here is my girlfriends savage 17hmr, only thing left is the fitment of the 308 mags and making the original 17 mag fit inside and extend the mag release on the original savage. Its a tack driver due to the full aluminum chassis

IMAG0146.jpg

Got a Savage 9 BTVSS and here is the group I shot at 400 yards with it. First two shots were to the right side in the middle, splashes touching. Then adjusted left and got the bulls eye. I'd say these guns can preform. that target is a foot wide, orange dot was 3 ish inches just for reference.

100_0750.jpg

I used to have one, but sold it as I needed money and I never did anything with it that I couldn't do with my .22lr. I was a really neat little rifle, accurate and did blow stuff apart. Very loud for shooting in my back yard however, and the cost of ammo was not appealing.

When it came down to it, I just didn't have any use for it and never used it.

my buddy bought a savage 93r17 with the thumbhole stock. i feel in love with it and bought one myself. heavy barrel is pretty much standard. great accuracy and the accutrigger is pretty good. 100 yard shots are easy and consistent. took it out last weekend for some squirrels and went great. one shot at any range was all you need. make sure you get headshots cuz that 17 will destroy some meat if you hit chest or shoulders. My wife loves it too. almost no recoil and its accurate and reasonably cheap to shoot. plus i payed $300 for the gun with the thumbhole stock and heavy barrel and it came with the base rings and a bushnell 3-9 scope. I might go get another!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did I just see a Savage 93R17 in an AICS?!? </div></div>

are your eyes playing tricks on you?

IMAG0144.jpg

AND EVEN HAS A FULL ALUMINUM CHASSIS CUSTOM BUILT FOR IT
smile.gif

IMAG0168.jpg

I also have pre-Accutrigger 93R17.Loves Hornady 20grXTP almost as much as 17VMAX.If a squirrel will sit still inside 100yrds I'll show him something that will blow his mind.A total joy to shoot.Ammo is more than 22LR,but 17HMR would be a great addition to anyone's cabinet.

Another props for the 20g ammo. Picked up some CCI fmj 20g bullets yesterday since I had been having accuracy issues the 17g stuff. With the 20g ammo I put 3 shots under a dime at 100 yards with my first 3 shots. I think I found my new favorite ammo.

Do you want to paper punch or hunt? If you want to hunt, what do you want to hunt? Squirrels and birds, and other little stuff will be better served with the .17hm2. Less damage, less cost, less noise. IF you want to punch paper with a .17, the HMR has smaller recorded groups than the hm2. Just consider the price per shot, and also the purpose of the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you want to paper punch or hunt? If you want to hunt, what do you want to hunt? Squirrels and birds, and other little stuff will be better served with the .17hm2. Less damage, less cost, less noise. IF you want to punch paper with a .17, the HMR has smaller recorded groups than the hm2. Just consider the price per shot, and also the purpose of the rifle. </div></div>

If your going to get an hm2 i would do so fast as they are dropping from production right and left. Of course if they go away look for the ammo to follow and the prices to rise on what is around while it is. In my opinion the hm2 will just be a memory in a couple years as it does nothing better than either a 22lr or 17hmr can. The small nitch they were meant to fill is to small and are going away. I think there is only 1 or 2 manufacturers still making them.