• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage 223 problems

BrettSass844

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Germantown, OHIO
I have been trying to help my cousin get his new Savage 223 dialed in and were having one hell of a time. First off it is the model 10GXP3. Here is a link.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=86994

Long story short it is shooting like complete shit! We have tried several types of ammo, and have shot over a hundred rounds in a vise off a bench. More often than not you cant even get 2 decent shots within a couple inches to try to make a scope adjustment. Obviously the rings and scope that came with this is far from top of the line, he bought the gun to beat up and coyote hunt with. But surely it is capable of better than this. When it comes to adjusting the scope it does not seem to respond correctly. Its actually bad enough to say that a 6 in group is hard to come by! All the simple solutions have been checked and are good. I am no expert but my guess is bad scope or barrel. Several people have told him to ship the thing back to savage and let them look at it. Any thoughts and where should he start??? Anyone else ever had this happen with a new rifle?? Thanks for the help!!!

Re: Savage 223 problems

Do you have another scope you can mount to verify that the current optic is functioning properly.

If the optic is OK I'd say you have either a bad barrel or really bad crown. Either Way I'd call Savage for a RTM and let them fix it.

Mike

Try another scope first and verify that the barrel is properly floated and the action screws are all tight. Post back with results.

Thanks,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

Get that POS scope off there, put a good one on. Then try it again. When you say it doesn't even seem like the scope is responding correctly...that's a big indicator. You should be able to get behind the scope and hold the rifle firmly and your cousin (or vice-versa) should be able to dial the scope to the point of impact. Then the groups should follow. If they don't, then you have a bad scope.

Remember to try one thing at a time. I've watched so many guys change two or three things when troubleshooting and come up with different problems every time.

Verify the crown is not damaged or otherwise imperfect, and that the barrel and barrel channel have no contact beyond the chamber area. Although the barrel is not a varmint barrel, it should still shoot far better than what you're describing.

+1 Try a different scope on it

I had the same problem with a Winchester M70 270wsm and scope package. The scope was a pos Simmons 8 point. I put a Leupold vx-3 on it and now it shoots 3 shots inside 1 inch all day

Azslayer- I thought that was 1/2 inch ALL DAY.
wink.gif
?

check the barrel nut, make sure that is tight to.

Scott