• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage .22LR in boyds stock. Walmart. Any experience?

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
Stopped at local walmart. I always check for 22 ammo.
They have a bolt action .22 savage with a threaded bull barrel, 3-9 Weaver scope and a Boyds stock. $423
I am thinking about getting it for my nephews birthday.
Anybody have one of these or handled one? Are they junk?
Threaded bull barrel, Boyds stock and scope seems like a decent price.

It looks like this
lvi4cyvqz2k61.jpg

My buddy recently purchased that same rifle. It's an accurate setup. It's a model only made for Walmart, its a kind of like a cross between an FV-SR and a TRR-SR, without barrel fluting. There are plenty of reviews if you google a bit.

It's also not a normal Boyd's At One stock...The Walmart version has a nearly vertical grip that cannot be interchanged, and the forearm is solid wood. I actually like this version of the At One better than the version you can order from Boyd's.

Last edited:
Go buy it, and wait for the failures to start happening.
Extraction problems are the biggest problem with savage. I got mark ll I hate it. Put that money towards a cz , way better off.
Just my opinion

Most of those are really accurate. Stock is leaps and bounds ahead of what was available even 10 years ago. I would say it would be ande excellent rifle for a kid. I have a mkII, thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds no problems.

I should also add, these have nice triggers for what they are. I recently came in middle of the pack in a long range rimfire match among people shooting vudoos and rim xs shooting my mk II.

Reactions: lash
I should also add, these have nice triggers for what they are. I recently came in middle of the pack in a long range rimfire match among people shooting vudoos and rim xs shooting my mk II.
Carefull what you say.
Next thing you know the voodoo and rim x guys will be slamming the "just as good" guys!

I need to hit a scratch off ticket so I can buy 2. One for my nephew and one for me.
Can't wait for someone to tell me to go be poor somewhere else.....

Reactions: Schütze and lash
Carefull what you say.
Next thing you know the voodoo and rim x guys will be slamming the "just as good" guys!

I need to hit a scratch off ticket so I can buy 2. One for my nephew and one for me.
Can't wait for someone to tell me to go be poor somewhere else.....
Obiviously those rifles are in another category. Still I beat half of the guys there. I assume thats due to user error and not the rifle. Mine shoots under 1" at 100y (in low wind) with SK.
The fit and finish is no where near those rifles, but as far as how the barrel shoots and how the action functions I have had no problems. I'm sure theres lemons out there as well.

Last edited:
I have one, and it shoots way above its pay grade. The scope is useless, and the stock is a lot like the CZ At one version, without all the plastic of the regular At one. The rifle functions as it should, no extraction or ejection woes. Your mileage may vary. I paid 379.00, they went up shortly after I bought mine. I need a rod guide, and a new cleaning rod. I can’t find my dewey.

wonder if a local to me walmart has them. gotta look as i am in the market for a plinker. looking at a mk s sv. pretty close price although i am sure the scope is a POS.
looked web site has only air rifles. hope it wouldn't be a place for savage to dump failed QC pieces. doubt it still should be under savage warranty.

Last edited:
Just got one a couple days ago, pulled the weaver off and put an athlon argos 6-24x50 on it. I was looking at the rail and comparing it to the Ruger precision rimfire I picked up today. Can anyone confirm if the rail on the walmart special has an moa cant? Not sure if my eyes are deceiving me. I was thinking about getting a 30 moa rail for it anyway.

My mark II was a bargain and while it can be finicky with extraction, considering the price is a pretty good rifle.
I managed a perfect score on 1/5 scale silhouette with it.
if you do have any issues the factory is very receptive to helping you.
they sent me spare extractors and springs when I asked.
when a couple magazines split at the back , sent back and they sent new ones.
they certainly are no vudoo or even CZ, but still a solid value.
when I can assemble a rifle that with everything included ( rifle scope rings extra moa base, bipod the works ) is under 700 dollars and shoot matches where I beat or tie guys with the expensive stuff, that says a lot about these humble Canadian guns

The bedding area of the stock sucks. They come from the factory with the action screws just slightly more than finger tight. The wood is so thin in that area you simply can't tighten them down like you should. But you can add the thicker steel floor plate and that helps. The trigger out of the box is not too good. But if you know how that can be fixed. You can get the stock trigger down to about a pound without spending any money. Chances are it will not extract correctly. That can also be fixed quickly at no cost of you know how. Throw the scope away and put good glass on it. After you spend a little time on these they are good guns. The one I had would shoot pretty good.

wonder if a local to me walmart has them. gotta look as i am in the market for a plinker. looking at a mk s sv. pretty close price although i am sure the scope is a POS.
looked web site has only air rifles. hope it wouldn't be a place for savage to dump failed QC pieces. doubt it still should be under savage warranty.

The Walmart being a dumping place for lower quality merchandise is a thing started by owners of smaller stores. If you buy something at Walmart, say a gun or ammunition, you are getting the same quality as every other seller has in stock. Gun and ammo manufacturers do not sell seconds through their merchandise retailers. The barcode tells the tale. If you buy something at Walmart that has the same barcode as another retailer has, it is the same merchandise .

The bedding area of the stock sucks. They come from the factory with the action screws just slightly more than finger tight. The wood is so thin in that area you simply can't tighten them down like you should. But you can add the thicker steel floor plate and that helps. The trigger out of the box is not too good. But if you know how that can be fixed. You can get the stock trigger down to about a pound without spending any money. Chances are it will not extract correctly. That can also be fixed quickly at no cost of you know how. Throw the scope away and put good glass on it. After you spend a little time on these they are good guns. The one I had would shoot pretty good.
Could you tell me what you have found as a fix ? No troubles at tjis time, but it would be good to know.

Where does one find the thicker floor plate? Or, is it a build?

I just got one of these a couple days ago. I haven't shot it yet but I love the features. As far as I know there is no cheaper target .22 rifle that has an adjustable stock. I love the features of this gun! This model is not in the 2023 Savage catalog, I haven't seen one anywhere but Walmart.

what walmart did you see this in? My local Walmart never heard of it?
Waterville, Maine. The Model is BVNSXP-SR. UPC 0062654207204. It is exactly like the gun pictured in this thread. I paid $453 plus tax on 2/22/2023.

Last edited: