• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage 243 lrp or custom build

montour24

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2014
Ontario Canada
Good day im a new member, but am on here a lot just reading and gathering information. I have a question I live in southern Ontario Canada the landscape is not at all friendly for ultra long range shooting but there is a lot of places I can shoot 500 to a 1000 yrds safely. I have just takin up coyote hunting and love it. I am using a browning medallion in 243 win which shoots well . I would like to get a long range rig for varmint I have been looking at a savage lrp 243 but don't know anyone that has one or shot one is it what I need for my hunting needs or should I build a custom rifle and if so what components should I use from stock to barrel,receiver basically the whole gun. in my neck of the woods there is not many people into long range shooting or custom guns. So getting information is hard especially good info I would like to stay with 243 its been the caliber ive always hunted with. also this gun would be used for deer hunting at nothing more then 400 yards. im not to concerned with weight if anything I like the feel of a heavy gun . any help u guys could give me would be great I want to spend my money on the right rifle and do it once so if the savage is something that will do the trick I will buy it knowing its capable if I do my part it will do the rest

The savage lrp will shoot better than the vast majority of peoples abilities all for about $1000 I think mine was like $990. I like the triggers and I think they are fine as long as you don't try and run it at its very lightest and the actions are awesome. For a varmint rig I don't think you can go wrong with this. Dollar for dollar you wont find a better shooting rifle. Plus when you tear up barrels with that 243 you can order prefits and change them yourself and it will shoot even better with a higher quality barrel.

IMO, the LRP in 243 doesn't have an optimal twist rate (it is 9.25 instead of 8). Probably be fine with 105gr Hornadys and 107 SMKs, though.

I say go custom. I am under the impression that its the only way to go nowadays if you go with a good smith. I have several factory guns that shoot great but I been seeing several that doesn't. I have a savage that is extremely accurate but Living where you do I wouldn't choose it. THey are too fragile for me. I'd say get a GAP basic custom and go from there. It will serve you well, hold its value, and be top notch. There are many great gun shops around but they are my first stop. Good luck

So being that the savage may not have the right twist would it be worth changing out the tube so that i can shoot 115s or would 105 or 107s be enough for the distance im going to be shooting i do load my own so i am able to find the right load. And RobertB what do u mean by being fragile i own a couple savage rifles as well that have served me well but nothing like the LRP

I cant say if the twist will be fine or not or how well the 105s or 107s will shoot as I have no experience with this caliber. But if the barrel is not what you want you can get a new one and still only be in the rifle for $1500 at most. Also I too am wondering what exactly in fragile about savages? I only own savages with the target action but have not found anything fragile about them?

Op,
I'ld go for the savage. I shoot a Stevens 200 ( savage action ) that has been built up. If your hunting with it then I don't see anything wrong with it. While yes the barrel is not a 1:8 twist that's not detrimental as you will be using a hunting or varmint bullet so 100 grs and under should do well for the barrel and your purpose. The Berger 95 gr Hunting VLD have a listed g7 velocity of .246. Running them at around 3050 JBM says you got about 10 inches of wind drift ( 90 degree angle i believe at 10 mph) at your 400 yard mark and 1125 ft/lbs at same 400 yards also drop was about 23.7 inches. Once you get the rifle try out anything as bullets up to the 107 smk MAY stabilize but I would't buy the rifle assuming it will run them.

OP, I ordered a rifle from Savage custom shop witch was supposed to be built on a model 10 action. The reason I special ordered was because I'm left handed and I wanted that particular rifle. Anyway after I ordered it I discovered the model 12 LRP and wished I had 0rdered it instead. Well what I got was more than I ever expected. Savage sent me a model 12 action with their target trigger. While not a 243 like you asked about, this is one extremely accurate rifle. Plus' for savage are the magazines, they are probably the longest of any true short action and their chambers are set to get the full advantages of the long bullets and if you shoot the shorter bullets you can still seat them long and have more room for powder. Another thing you can do is order (maybe) the rifle with a different twist barrel or just change your plans and get the LRP in a 260 rem. I really don't think you can do better for the money. Not for a stock out of the box rifle anyway.

Sorry just reread your post. It sounds like you want the very best. That would definitely be a CUSTOM. 3 to 4 times the money. Maybe 1/4" better at most but thats a lot! I will say that mine will shoot in the .3s but still a full blown custom is better.

Last edited:
I've a LRP in .260 and a LRPV in .223. They are fantastic rifles and with the new style stock, should be even better.

Add a cheek rest and go.

The Target Accutrigger does like to be pulled straight back. If you rest your finger or apply pressure on the side of the trigger, the safety sear may trip. I'd play around with this a little so you know what to expect and not have any surprises.

I've also heard that running the bolt home quickly may also cause the safety sear to trip.

I have experience the former, but not the latter. My triggers are are set at 10oz for the. 223 and 12oz on the .260.

Other than these trigger issues, I find nothing fragile about the target actions.

I would buy them again in an instant.

VLP, sell the barrel and put a Shilen 1/8 twist.

You will appreciated the detachable box magazine on a hunting rifle

if i do go with a 1\8 twist to run bigger is it possible to shot 95 still or once i go that way im there and no turning back. hate asking all the questions but i just want to spend money once and have the right rig instead of constantly changing cause i made a bad decision.

Personally, if you have a Browning .243 that shoots well, I am not sure why you are looking for another rifle. A heavy barrel is only an advantage in dissipating heat. It is generally going to be a disadvantage for a hunting rifle. If you are looking for a deer and coyote rifle, I would work with what you have rather than starting from scratch. Spend your money on a good optic rather than a new rifle. Its not practical to shoot at any game animal at 1000 yards IMO. If you cant get closer, then you are a lousy hunter.

i dont plan on hunting coyotes at that range but to put down a 500yd shot from time to time on a coyote is something anyone on this site would like to do. im trying to find a gun that i can sit up on coyote with and hunt from my blind with for white tail. then go to the range and shoot 800 to 1000 yrd target i have a safe full of guns in many different calibers and very nice optics. that i have been more than just a little lucky with hunting at close range and stalking. now i want a rifle that is build for long range shooting

So being that the savage may not have the right twist would it be worth changing out the tube so that i can shoot 115s or would 105 or 107s be enough for the distance im going to be shooting i do load my own so i am able to find the right load. And RobertB what do u mean by being fragile i own a couple savage rifles as well that have served me well but nothing like the LRP

Meaning I have seen several go down, from the accutrigger to the bolt head. Not bashing them, my Savage will never be sold. Its weight is the only thing I really don't like about it. But things can get bad in Canada, I would want the very best I could get. I think that if I was to really want to use my savage a lot the accurtrigger would have to go. I was at a class at Badlands earlier this year and 3 savages where in the class. All 3 went down, all due to the accutrigger. If you take it apart your will see what I mean by fragile. My friend Tom Sarver once said, You wont find a savage that wont shoot, but you wont find a savage that wont break down either. Granted, my surgeon has gone down before, but I think the savage would have went down WAY before the M591 did with what it has been through. Mine has served me well by the way.