• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage .338 Lapua Magnum

Re: Savage .338 Lapua Magnum

Not shot it, but have handled it a few times. The stock was a little ugly for me, but it seemed very solid and put together quite well. Aesthetics aren't everything no? Trigger pull was expectantly nice and finish seemed good too. Nice to have a DBM already set up for it since this can be a major pain for savage shooters.

I have shot a lot of other savages and I assume the 110 BA is on the same level.

What price are you seeing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 331V8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not shot it, but have handled it a few times. The stock was a little ugly for me, but it seemed very solid and put together quite well. Aesthetics aren't everything no? Trigger pull was expectantly nice and finish seemed good too. Nice to have a DBM already set up for it since this can be a major pain for savage shooters.

I have shot a lot of other savages and I assume the 110 BA is on the same level.

What price are you seeing? </div></div>

I have seen it going for about $1,900 to $2,000 - but availability is a factor - often sold out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 300 grain SMK ammo I'm loading has shot under half MOA out of this rifle. With the 1:9" twist, the 300 grain bullets are a great option. </div></div>

I think that is great and would make the 110 BA an exceptional value. I am sold on Savage because of the accuracy and price. Nice to hear a good report. I would have bought the gun, but am scheduled for a root cannel and crown that will set me back $2,500 - it really sucks. That is my gun money going down the drain.

I own it. Had some trigger issues out of the box, but once that was corrected everything else has been great. Toped it with a Nightforce and Badger Max 50 rings. Love it.

ChadTRG42 supplies my ammo. Hey Chad, I'm still waiting on my 300 Gr SMK's. Could you hurry up? I need to feed the beast. :)

i just picked one up and got to shot it this passed sunday and it did good. shot hornady 285 gr pills with a .63 5 shot group at 200 meters. only got to shoot at the steel plates at 500m

150+ through mine, LOVE IT!
Working up first hand loads for it this weekend
Best 100yd zero groups to date with factory ammo are in the 0.3-0.4 range
With me shooting it the very first time I was at 1 MOA at 400, so no complaints, takes getting used to though....and it's LOUD

Im also contemplating this purchase, will likely be doing so shortly, but have a few issues I wanted to work out.

Id really like to throw a Vortex Razor HD on it, but dont have the cash for that right now.

My backup is to get a Vortex PST (when available). The issue here is that they only have 19mrad elevation adjustment (only being a relative term.)

Here is the question. From what Ive seen in Shooter for android, it takes just over 20mrad to shoot a mile with the 300smk's...is this true?

If this is the case the PST wont work straight up, as I assume even with the stock 20moa base on the gun, at 100yd zero it wont be bottomed out on elevation.

This brings the next question for guys that own the gun. Can the scope base be removed and replaced? And does anyone make a 40moa base for that action?

If not, what do you guys think about these rings? http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=342977&t=11082005

Just spitballing some of my concerns, glad to hear theres a few guys that like the gun out there already...I love it!

Also, I shot the gun once at our Gander training shoot, but the Savage rep was a jackhole, he had a Razor HD on it...but didnt bother to sight the gun in, so it wasnt even on paper at 100. One thing I noticed while shooting it was that the trigger was somewhat akward to pull due to the stock configuration. I felt like I was pulling too high on the trigger to get a clean pull. Is this something you owners have noticed and adapted to?

Sounds like a lot of positive things are being said about the Savage. That is encouraging. I would own one now if I did not have to have the root cannel and crown - that's $2,500 in dental work. The root cannel is done. Will start the crown next week. That was my .338 money, down the tube. Hope to get the Savage soon!

See my previous post dated 08/18/10.

Since that time we had repeated problems with the factory trigger so we replaced it with a SSS Competition trigger and the problem went away. Our groups at 300 yds 600 yds (Max distance at our local range) continue to shrink as we put more factory rounds up the pipe.

We are very please with the 110 and its ever improving performance. Another factor that I think increaed the accuracy is that I am now accustomed to the recoil

I was checking out this rifle at Turners for right around $2k it looked pretty solid.....hopefully, come tax time!!!

902a3001.jpg

great bang for your bucks indeed. When I'm ready to move on to a bigger caliber, this is going to be it... I had issues with the 12BTCSS and my Model 10 the customer service had been really helpful both times, so I wouldn't hesitate to get another Savage built rifle.

i had to get use to the stock cheek pad its not that wide like the b&c stock on my 308 . the trigger on might came set at 1.75 # out of the box, has no kick to it but is fun as hell to shoot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpeoples</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See my previous post dated 08/18/10.

Since that time we had repeated problems with the factory trigger so we replaced it with a SSS Competition trigger and the problem went away. Our groups at 300 yds 600 yds (Max distance at our local range) continue to shrink as we put more factory rounds up the pipe.

We are very please with the 110 and its ever improving performance. Another factor that I think increaed the accuracy is that I am now accustomed to the recoil </div></div>

I just bought one of these for myself for Christmas
smile.gif
Could you explain in more detail about what exactly you experienced for trigger problems? Thanks Ron

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This brings the next question for guys that own the gun. Can the scope base be removed and replaced? And does anyone make a 40moa base for that action?</div></div>

I've got a Farrell 40 moa on mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
One thing I noticed while shooting it was that the trigger was somewhat akward to pull due to the stock configuration. I felt like I was pulling too high on the trigger to get a clean pull. Is this something you owners have noticed and adapted to? </div></div>

Get a different grip - any AR grip should fit. I'm partial to the Sierra Precision Rifle grip available from Sinclair Int'l - nice and big and fills the grip and positions your hand back a bit further (~3/4") and moves the trigger finger out and to the side a bit so that the pad of your finger falls right on the trigger shoe. Much better than that skinny mall-ninja grip it comes with
wink.gif

Revolution,
What was happening was the triggers we coming from the factory set very light. When guys were slamming the bolt shut it was engaging a safety which was not allowing the rifle to fire. As long as you re cycle the bolt it would reset the firing mechanism. It seems like this was a problem early on in the release of this rifle but has since phased itself out. At least that's what savage customer service said!

do you think this rifle will perform well out to 2000 yards as is?also.also,is the rifle balenced well for some(not a lot)off hand shooting,thanks,marty

I just bought one. I haven't take it out yet... I still need rings for my scope and it'll be going out.

Great rifle.

Very, very accurate, in my opinion.

The heavy platform makes a great shooting gun.

I have a 338 LM that I use for hunting and LOVE it. The Savage 110BA is kick-ass, but I can't use it for hunting...

100_0311.jpg

I'm going to tag this for later, I've had a great interest in this rifle and hopefully I can pick up pick up the one above
smile.gif

I bought mine back in september, I dont have a ton of rounds through it but the few times I have shot it, it worked great, no problems as of yet. Im still trying to come up with a accurate load for it. With the brake I would say recoil is les than my .308 with no brake. Its loud for the people next to you not bad for the shooter though, kinda makes a thud rather than a crack, lol. The savage scope rail is removable for the guy that was asking about that.

Chadtrg42, can you PM me what load your using to get your results your seeing?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: troop01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Revolution,
What was happening was the triggers we coming from the factory set very light. When guys were slamming the bolt shut it was engaging a safety which was not allowing the rifle to fire. As long as you re cycle the bolt it would reset the firing mechanism. It seems like this was a problem early on in the release of this rifle but has since phased itself out. At least that's what savage customer service said! </div></div>
Thanks so far no problems now just to get my load dialed in /)

Yhank

hi. i purchased a savage HS precision 110 fCP in a 338 lapua magnum and i was wondering if anyone could give some guidance as to what kind of scope mounting rings would be good for a nikon monarch 8x32x50. the rifle itself comes factory with a picatiny rail

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sk034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hi. i purchased a savage HS precision 110 fCP in a 338 lapua magnum and i was wondering if anyone could give some guidance as to what kind of scope mounting rings would be good for a nikon monarch 8x32x50. the rifle itself comes factory with a picatiny rail </div></div>I am using Burris tactical med height on mine with a vortex pst.

i just put a 5-20x50 SS on burris XTR medium. perfect fit. about 3 hairs clearence with the butler creek cap. great initial setup until i can fund a murphys precision rail and aadland triple lug rings.

MurphyPrecision will make a rail for you up to 40 MOA.
Shot 110BA .338LM several times (belongs to MDslammer on SH), from 100 to 1800, the one I shot was GTG, very accurate. Doesn't like soft brass, stick with Lapua. My friend's rifle had a couple of trigger issues but Savage CS handled it well.
Heard good and bad about Savage 110BA, some guys would get another one without hesitation, some others wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. My personal experience with this rifle was good.

I have a 110fcp, over 600 rounds thru it and love it. I replaced the stock muzzle brake with a Ross Schuler brake. I chose 110fcp over the 110ba because of the weight, and the HS Precision stock feels great. I haven't adjusted the trigger, I prefer 1.5-2lb Timney's and my 110FCP's felt perfect out of the box.

I like mine. First big/long range gun for me. Been learning but it shoots way better than I do. Way better... Grizz dude has his dialed in! I personally need more trigger time on mine 5-600 rounds maybe and I'm getting used to it and learning it. I NEED LONGER RANGE!!!

It's addicting to blow the middle out of a mild steel plate at 5-800 yards. Really want to stretch it this coming spring or late winter... They seem to have tight chambers. Mine does not like reloads that blow gas past the neck. They stick after about 10-15 rounds. Most likely my fault for poor brass prep. Fairly new to mag hi power stuff.

Bill

I purchase one here in the Seattle area in January of this year for $1994 +tax. I bought one box of Double Tap 300gr SMK w/ Lapua brass to break it in. Initial groups for break in were at or under 1/2 MOA. These initial break in loads chrono'd at 2830fps avg. I have since reloaded that brass 4 more times for initial load developement and the brass seems to be holding up very well. I have found a sweet node 93-94grs of Retumbo in the Lapua brass, Fed 215M Gold Metal Match primers and 285 HPBT. Velocity is running 2843-2870 and groups are sub 1/4 MOA bullets .01 off the lands. Still have to try load work up on 300gr pills. Stock trigger was set at 1.5# and have had ZERO problems with it and have left it there. Barrel has been super easy to clean and doesn't seem to hold much if any copper. I've got right at 100 rounds down the barrel thus far and look forward to more shooting as my very limited time allows. The stock and pistol grip have worked out just fine, but find that I have to drop the cheak pad to clean the barrel, but that is no big deal (I've marked the wheel to get back to same location). I've had some issues with sticking brass, and have some new reloads still to test where I have bumped the shoulder back .002-.003 to see if that helps (I had just been neck sizing). I used the stock 20 MOA rail and mounted a Millette LRS 6.5-25x56 scope. The stock rings were WAY too tall and order the shorter rings and have been very pleased. I would definately buy one again if I had to do it all over again.

I thought I would give my update on the 110BA 338 LM. It is kind of a long post so hopefully that isn’t a bad thing. I have had mine about 6 months now and have put about 400 + rounds through it, 200 of those at a long range precision rifle course in North Carolina. To say the least it has been a very enlightening journey to try and learn this rifle and the caliber (my first big bore long rang file).
It has NightForce ATACR 5-25x mounted with NF rings (need EXTRA HIGH). Just a quick comment on the scope. IT IS AWESOME! It has the MIL-R reticle SFP and the glass is amazing and it has been the perfect complement to the rifle. Basically it has allowed me to focus on the rifle and not worry about the optics part. Pretty much everyone who has shot this rifle comments very positively on the glass.
Some general comments on the rifle. Yes it is left handed! It is the first and only bolt action left handed rifle that I have shot. Having used right handed bolts it took a little to get use to! Shooting opposite hand bolts isn’t as bad as some might think (or maybe I am just use to it). Having the left handed bolt though does seem to make follow up shots quicker. The bolt operates really well and I really never had an issue with feed. What I did have an issue with though was with the mag release. In the beginning it seemed in prone that the best way to support the rear of the rifle was to put a bean bag right behind the mag. It gave great support…but…yea…it would release the mag. Never did get that resolved so just went with the standard support at the butt. But here is the second issue and why that doesn’t work quite as nice. As another poster had pointed out (I did not make this original observation), the rifle mounted with the scope is top heavy. The result of that is, when mounted with the Harris Bipod which swivels it tends to swivel to one side or the other. As that poster pointed out, this can have an impact on accuracy. The solution he gave was to make sure you used a POD-Lock Swivel Lock on the Harris Bipod. I did that and it did make a big difference in stabilizing the rifle while shooting especially prone. Other than that everything else seem pretty tight with the rifle and it handles really well. I really have come to like how it feels.
And yes I enjoy shooting it very much. To me it seems to have very little recoil and I don’t notice the muzzle blast at all when shooting (not so for people not shooting and standing around where I am!). Shooting 200 rounds over 3 days at the Precision Rifle Class I had NO issues with my shoulder hurting or any issues with recoil. It was a non-issue. Interesting not so much with my partner who was shooting an unbraked 308. Half way thru the first day he needed some pretty serious shoulder padding (crumpled up T shirt under his shirt and jacked). Basically this is an incredible easy shooting gun for such a caliber. IT IS A PLEASURE AND A LOT OF FUN TO SHOOT.
So other observations. I didn’t do the barrel break in procedure thing (opps) and have found that the gun likes to be at least relatively clean and shoots best that way. At least a basic cleaning after each outing and something a little more extensive after 50-100 rounds or so. I definitely noticed groups opening up as the barrel got dirty, gave it a cleaning and got it back where it should be.
It does not like certain ammo. Tried the HSM Burger Trophy Gold and it did not like that AT ALL. It pretty much sprayed them all over the range. Didn’t like the 285 Hornday either. Aside from that though most stuff is pretty accurate. Most of my “testing” has been at 100-300 yrds and it is tuff to gauge which brand/bullet/load is better than any other. I have tried Black Hills in 250, 300; Lapua in 250, 300, HSM in 250 300 and to be honest at those ranges can’t really tell a difference (except the 300s definitely have a little more kick to them). They all seem to give 1 MOA or better at 200 and 300 yards and I just kind of settled on the HSM 250s at that seemed to intermittently give the best results (and a little cheaper), and this is what I went with for the Precision Rifle Class. Pic below is group at 200 yrds including CBS (squares are 1 inch)
250SMK200yrdsS.jpg
I have tired hand loads with Lapua Scenars 250, 300s and SMK 250s and 300s. The table below gives some velocities for some of the different loads. For a lot of reasons I have decided to stick with the 250s for reloads and HSM 250 SMK for my factory stuff. Although I am going to try the 285 AMAX and see what that does.
CHRONO DATA FOR FACTORY HSM AND SOME HANDLOADS
HSM 300 Factory
Average 2692.7
SD 4.55
Min 2688
Max 2699
Difference 11
%Diff 0.41%
HSM 250 Factory
Average 2784.13
SD 22.14
Min 2763
Max 2812
Difference 49
%Diff 1.76%

Hand Load 300 Scenar
Average 2765.8
SD 9.96
Min 2760
Max 2783
Difference 23
%Diff 0.83%
HandLoad 250 Scenar
Average 2856
SD 14.66
Min 2836
Max 2873
Difference 37
%Diff 1.30%

HandLoad 300 SMK
Average 2734.2
SD 9.36
Min 2726
Max 2749
Difference 23
%Diff 0.84%
HandLoad 250 SMK
Average 2812.4
SD 9.02
Min 2801
Max 2824
Difference 23
%Diff 0.82%

At the class I was able to fire the rifle out to 1200 yards and it was a blast. The biggest observation is that at 1200 yards it was just starting to get into its own and it probably really isn’t worthwhile shooting it at anything less than 800 yrds as the 308s (everyone else in class was using that caliber) worked pretty darn well to that range (I got a much greater respect for the 308 after that class!). At 1000 and 1200 yards the 338 really started to excel. I was able to get dope data from 100 to 1200 yards with the HSM 250 grain SMK ammo (see table below).
Yards Mils Off Set HSM 250 SMKs
100yrds/ 0mils
200yrds/ 0.4 mils
300yrds/ 0.7 mils
400yrds/ 1.6 mils
500yrds/ 2.5 mils
600yrds/ 3.3 mils
700yrds/ 4.3 mils
800yrds/ 5.3 mils
900yrds/ 6.5 mils
1000yrds/ 7.7 mils
1100yrds/ 8.4 mils
1200yrds/ 10.6 mils

What was also obvious at all ranges was the wind had much less effect and required less adjustment than the 308. With my partner calling the shots hits were routine out to 1200. Tried my 250 grain handloads the last five shots at 1200 yards and with the instructor calling them was 5/5 center mass on a metal silhouette , pretty much MOA or better at 1200 yards (with me shooting). The accuracy limit NOT being the gun.
Bottom line. Is this the perfect 338...well no...it is not a 1/4 MOA gun...but it is a less than 1 MOA gun and for under $2000 it is a pretty great investment and I will be looking to take it out past 1200 yards now. For anything 800 and under though I think I am going to really work with my new 308!

I bought one in May of 2011 and another one in March of 2013. I put 1300 rounds through them. I was never able to make them shoot GREAT, they were average. I bought a Accuracy International AX 338 and have never looked back. The AI will put five bullets in one hole at 100 and 6 out of 10 on a 18" silhouette at ONE MILE. It is difficult to expect a manufacture to mass produce (110/BA) a rifle that will shoot a .338 that in my opinion. I have won many regional competitions shooting the .338, just not with the 110/BA unfortunately. Just my 2 bits

I bought one in May of 2011 and another one in March of 2013. I put 1300 rounds through them. I was never able to make them shoot GREAT, they were average. I bought a Accuracy International AX 338 and have never looked back. The AI will put five bullets in one hole at 100 and 6 out of 10 on a 18" silhouette at ONE MILE. It is difficult to expect a manufacture to mass produce (110/BA) a rifle that will shoot a .338 that in my opinion. I have won many regional competitions shooting the .338, just not with the 110/BA unfortunately. Just my 2 bits

What bullet and how fast are you shooting it in your AX?

Myself and some friends have different Savage 338 Lapua's. All of them will shoot .600"-.700" groups. They also favor the 300 grain bullet. Just don't load hot or you stick the bolt. Great rifles and for the money how can a guy complain with nearly 1/2 moa.

110 BA vx AI AX338

Myself and some friends have different Savage 338 Lapua's. All of them will shoot .600"-.700" groups. They also favor the 300 grain bullet. Just don't load hot or you stick the bolt. Great rifles and for the money how can a guy complain with nearly 1/2 moa.

I tend to agree Rigmaster. Pic in my post is at 200 yrds 5 shot group well under 1" which is better than 0.5 MOA. Ok so it was a perfect day and the stars, moon and sun were aligned. At 1200 yrds put 5/5 center mass in 18 inch silhouette again <=1 MOA. There is no doubt that it can be a consistent 1 mile gun. For 1800 dollars it isn't bad and I think Savage has done a pretty good job. Is it as good as an AIAX338...well hell no..No question AI AXs are things of beauty....but then again you can by 4 x 110/BAs for the price of one AI. I suppose you could make the argument if you are going to shoot 338 you should spend the money, but I have had a lot of fun shooting the 110BA and have learned a ton about shooting that CAL, something I would not have been able to do if I had try to wait to win the lottery to get a AI. I suppose it boils down to what you want to do. If you want to win national matches get an AI, if you kind of need to watch the money and still want to join the 1 mile club I think the 110BA will easily let you do that. Just my thoughts.

I have had my FCP-HS in .338 for about a year now. It is topped with a Vortex PST and it is also my first long range rifle. I have learned a ton in the year I have been shooting it, and it shoots on par with the other guys. I have seen a few .5 groups, mostly in the .6-.7 range I think as I become a better shooter the groups will tighten up some. Overall I could't be happier with my purchase, I have $2500 in the rifle, glass, reloading components ect., does it shoot like an AI, NO, but it has been a great learning platform!

OAL Predicament

Not sure this is best place for this but anyway. I started measuring COAL for my guns and did this for the 110 BA 338. I used the Hornady Lock N Load system.
Here is the problem and is just an example
For 300 grain SMK
Using the gauge to measure COAL with the bullet theoretically just touching the LANS I get 3.577...subtract 20 thousands and you get 3.557.
The trouble is the COAL from loading manual is 3.600...which is what most commercial loads are.
(not going to go into the ojive measurement thing...but that is similar results)
Am I missing something or doing something wrong here? Somehow this is not giving me a warm and fuzzy about the Hornady Lock N Load system for measuring COAL
OR my gun is really weird.
Has anyone else done this and gotten similar/different results. It might explain some pressure issues I have had with some loads

Thanks

navymed

Hey...thanks for come back. Well..you made have me look!...
Commerical loads I have are
HSM 250 SMK and they are at 3.667
HSM 230 T50s are 3.658
If I measure my Magazine works out that max length is about 3.700
Looking at loading data (Hodgdon) recommended COL for 300 SMK is 3.600..if I believe what I have that would put those loads 0.025 into the LANDS.
Anyway..I will work on this...probably not making the measurements right. Was just wondering is anyone else had done the LANDS measurements on the 110 BA
Thanks

I absolutely love mine. I ditched the factory rail. I went to a 30moa, plus I think it makes it look much better imo.

I don't know if you are doing it right but on my 110fcp with the 300 gr Lapua Ceynars 3.699 is touching the lands 300 gr SMK is 3.714 and 250 gr berger OTM tactical is 3.84. Did you buy a modified case or did you have one made using your once fired brass?