• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 93R17 with a bore snake stuck

Krob95

Black Multicam Master Race
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2019
    NoCo
    So. Long story short I stuck a bore snake in my little 17hmr savage, a couple years ago, that I have and haven’t tried too hard to do anything with it. I saw it in the safe the other day and was wondering what kind of advice you guys may have to forcing out such an evil contraption from my very small bore barrel.

Wow! Do they even make a BS that small?
    Must have been one for a 22 caliber?
    I have no idea how to remove it.
    I've heard of a lot of stuff stuck in barrels that are still there.
    Might just be easier to replace the barrel?

Yeah. They make a 17 cal bore snake. I fucked up and stopped halfway through and stuck it 😂 it was a 200 dollar rifle. No rebarreling this one

What exactly is stuck? The fabric, brass weight, bristle section, tail end?

How deep in from the muzzle/chamber, and how long is your barrel?

Get a solid metal rod and a mallet. Homedepot has long sections of various steel rods that are much cheaper than a cleaning rod. If the gun is a lost cause already, you have nothing to lose.

Get a solid metal rod and a mallet. Homedepot has long sections of various steel rods that are much cheaper than a cleaning rod. If the gun is a lost cause already, you have nothing to lose.
    Try a brass or aluminum rod instead.

All of the above

Reactions: Merlin O
    Correct. It’s a pretty shitty situation lol I’ll try and find a rod to see if I can get it pushed out

Just go to your local metal supply store and get 3/16" brass rod / round bar. Cut it into maybe 2" segments and drop a segment in until you have a segment sticking out the muzzle. Then start tapping that with a small gunsmithing mallet. Keep adding segments of brass rod until you get the obstruction tapped out the chamber end.

EDIT: Someone pointed out this is 17HMR. When I said 3/16" I was thinking 22cal. Don't use 3/16".

Last edited:
    Reactions: Big Bo
    Just go to your local metal supply store and get 3/16" brass rod / round bar. Cut it into maybe 2" segments and drop a segment in until you have a segment sticking out the muzzle. Then start tapping that with a small gunsmithing mallet. Keep adding segments of brass rod until you get the obstruction tapped out the chamber end.
    Per SAAMI specs, the bore diameter for the 17HMR id .168". If the 3/16 brass rod is true diameter, it'll be .1875". You might have to take a set of dial calipers with you to determine if the brass rod will actually fit. 5/32" brass rod available through places like McMasterCarr should work https://www.mcmaster.com/metals/copper-brass-and-bronze/shape~rod-and-disc/diameter~5-32/

Reactions: Merlin O
    Cut the barrel off at 17" with a hacksaw... if you just cut down to the bore from different sides, you should be able to remove the muzzle end without cutting the snake... this should leave enough snake to just grab and yank out of the remaining barrel.

Crown it at 16.5", and send it.

I had a bore snake get stuck once, i went from the chamber end and used a ring gasket remover, looks like a corkscrew on a thin rod with a t handle, they sell them at tractor supply and ace hardware

You could to a bit of an experiment with any broken parts and see if any chemicals at the local hardware store will dissolve the nylon or such part of the device to make it easier to pull out.

You could to a bit of an experiment with any broken parts and see if any chemicals at the local hardware store will dissolve the nylon or such part of the device to make it easier to pull out.
    To that end he could get some muratic acid from a pool cleaning store and just melt it out

Reactions: Krob95
    Don't use wood.
    For heavens sake, it's nearly the diameter of a toothpick. It'll snap just by looking at it.
    Plug and soak the bore with a mixture of 65/35% Shooter's Choice and Kroil.
    It can soak for a week and not cause damage. The Shooter's Choice should break down the brass in the brush.
    Try pushing it out in the direction you were going since the bristles of the brush are bent for going that direction.
    Don't beat on the rod and don't get it stuck too.
    Use a cleaning rod to do the pushing.
    If all else fails, you should be able to purchase a takeoff barrel pretty cheap.
    Don't use bore snakes.
    If you insist on using them, a slow and steady pull to get them through the bore.
    Don't yank on them like you're starting a mower.

Try to soak it with lubricant first regardless. Then I would try the following in this order:

If you have shop compressed air, jam it into the muzzle and see if it'll push it back out. When this works, it's the best/easiest. A black powder ball puller worm screw might work, if there's one small enough for a .17 cal. Try the wooden or brass dowel driving back out the snake next. Finally, if none of that works, you can heat the tip of a steel rod red hot and jam it repeatedly into the stuck part of the snake to burn out enough material that it'll finally come out.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    Grease gun and pull at the same time has been my choice to get it out. I have an adapter I built for a threaded muzzle put it on there and pump away.

Sooo I'd be willing to be if you've had a boresnake stuck in there for years your bore is trash. Sounds like a perfect opportunity to trash that Savage and go buy something decent, maybe a CZ...

I stuck an Otis cleaning cable in my 93r17 because the patch was too big and wedged in the chamber. Here me out on this one, I cut the cable flush with the end of the barrel. Took 3/4" ID garden hose and hose clamped one end to the barrel, the other end I went to lowes and got the brass fittings to get 3/4" barb fitting to 1/4" female pipe thread. Now comes the interesting part, unscrew the quick coupler off the pressure washer and thread the pressure washer gun into that mess of brass fittings and throw a towel over the other end of the action to contain the excitement... one quick hit on the pressure washer handle and wah-lah cable was wadded up under the towel... sprayed the barrel down with wd40, blew the excess off with the air compressor, and wiped down with some oil. If you're interested I can run out to the shop tomorrow and see just what fittings I used.

More than likely he has a brake on it suggested by the group a couple of years ago.

iu

Okay here she is, 3/4 barb to 3/4 FNPT hooked to 3/4 MNPT to 1/2 FNPT bushing, 1/2 MNPT to 1/4 FNPT bushing. This then hooks up to the pressure washer. Most anytime you have a barrel obstruction like a bore snake or the like its much easier to push it back out the way it came than to wedge it tighter towards the muzzle.

Attachments

• 20210518_172836.jpg
      20210518_172836.jpg
      251.3 KB · Views: 43
    Shoot it out, film it.
    I’ve very much though of this. You’ve resparked the flame I had for this 😂 thank you everyone for the great ideas! I’ll definitely try them and then if it doesn’t work, blow this bitch up

Sooo I'd be willing to be if you've had a boresnake stuck in there for years your bore is trash. Sounds like a perfect opportunity to trash that Savage and go buy something decent, maybe a CZ...
    It’s possible. It didn’t have chemical on it though. And no. If I get another 17hmr it’ll be another 200 dollar 93r17 lol it was a great gun until I fucked it up

Okay here she is, 3/4 barb to 3/4 FNPT hooked to 3/4 MNPT to 1/2 FNPT bushing, 1/2 MNPT to 1/4 FNPT bushing. This then hooks up to the pressure washer. Most anytime you have a barrel obstruction like a bore snake or the like its much easier to push it back out the way it came than to wedge it tighter towards the muzzle.
    And you really think that green garden hose is going to handle the head pressure coming off a pressure washer.
    WAH WAH

It’s possible. It didn’t have chemical on it though. And no. If I get another 17hmr it’ll be another 200 dollar 93r17 lol it was a great gun until I fucked it up
    Patches without chemical lodged in a barrel for extended time can mess up a bore because they tend to draw moisture. Not sure if the boresnake will have the same effect.

I would experiment with a piece of bore snake if you have it but it if it is nylon white vinegar should do a pretty good job of attacking it. Isopropyl Alcohol might work too... Score a quart of a 99% stuff from Amazon?
    Here's a list of stuff Nylon does and doesn't like. You'll see acetic acid and isopropyl alcohol are both "D - Severe Effect". Just a thought...