• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 93R17TR Accuracy expectations

CrazyJoe

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Virginia Beach
I have a Savage 93R17TR with a Zeis Conquest 3-9x40. I've been shooting Fed Premium 17gr V-shock. My expectations were that this rig used properly would shoot sub MOA which is my definition of "Tack Driver". Best 5 shot group at 100yds has been just wide of 1.5" with light to no wind.

Gun is about 100 rds old. Glass is premium for a rim fire, I can shoot .5MOA or better with my 3 precision CF rifles. WTF? Is that all one of these can do? If anyone has had significantly better results or suggestions on how to improve I'm all ears.

Re: Savage 93R17TR Accuracy expectations

Maybe there are some rough spots in the bore? I would run some more rounds down the tube and do a thorough cleaning each time to see if that helps any. I know I have experienced this with other rifles before.

Well longgun you seem to be the only one with an opinion. Will continue to monitor and try some other ammo. I read that the 17HMR guns have a preference for one round or another. It doesn't seem to be V-Shock in my case. I would like to get some data on typical groups from "tack drivers" so I know whats possible.

I think the reason you've had few responses is there is a lack of info in your question.
Wind?
Bi-pod, bags or benchrest rig?
For example...if you're shooting with a bi-pod and just resting the butt in your shoulder...that's good shooting.
An inconsistent 3 mph wind will kick your round upto a 1/2 inch at 100yds.
But if it's properly rested and a windless day you should be getting sub 1MOA.

Try different ammo. The .17 I had shot 20 grain Hornady XTP's real good. It also shot the 17 grains but not as good as the 20's. Before I shot mine I also used JB Bore Polish to try to smooth up the bore. Shot real good as long as there was no wind. Try some different ammo and I think you will see different results. Good Luck

CZ, light to no wind as stated in the post. I shot from a bi-pod on a bench but was resting the butt on my left fist as I was bagless that day. Thanks for the dope on wind deflection of the 17. At a 100 yds and 2550 fps at the muzzle I wouldnt think 3 kts would matter much.

VTR, Will give the bore polish a try and definitely the ammo. I'm getting the the message that this rifle is capable of sub MOA in ZERO wind, with its favorite ammo, and a very stable shooting position. Otherwise 1.5 MOA isnt indictive of a lemon.

Have u tried different ammo? I ask because a buddy of mine shoots his 3-4 years old savage 17 and he's getting .750 at 100. He's shooting the hornadys. Not sure which ones though but from what I remember him saying there not the cheap ones.

my marlin is so picky with ammo. It only likes the 20 grain xtp and hates every other bullet. theres even a difference between 17 grain hornadys and 17 grain winchesters. Youll just have to find the right bullet

I get between .5-.6 with my 9317bvss with around 500 down the pipe using 17g hornady vmax

Don't sweat it. My 93r17 FSS shot 17gr vmax in .5" groups while 20gr FMJ shot about 1.5" at 50 yards LOL

I'd say, get a box of each type of ammo and just go shoot them. Clean in between each type of round so you start fresh each time.

17's also like a fouled up bore it seems, so shoot five and then start your groupings.

I own a 93r17tr w a Nikon 4-12...upon first getting the rifle I couldn't hold moa @ 100. Took the stock off and noticed the stock was inlet for a single pin (with reguard to barrel action junction ) however this has a double pin which was not inlet for. I carved out a place for the second pin and bedded the action can now shoot just above 1/2 moa @ 200. Don't know if mine was a fluke or something hope this helps you

You are correct to assume that you should be getting better groups. Even before I swapped stocks, bedded my action, floated the barrel, and all of that jazz, it was very common for my 93r17 to shoot sub-moa at 100 with just about every brand of ammo I tried (if the wind was cooperative). These days, shooting over .75 moa is disappointing.

Mine groups 5 under a dime at 100 yrds. I'm also shooting suppressed which I think helps accuracy. I have only shot the 17gn Hornaday Vmax and it loves that ammo. You guns is def capable of sub-moa accuracy. Anything within 300 yards fears me when I have this gun around. Dead accurate at decent rimfire distance. Furthest confirmed kill was a prarie dog at 315 with 10mph wind.

nchunter. Great idea. Will take it apart and inspect. Just the kind of information I hoped to elicit. CJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nchunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a 93r17tr w a Nikon 4-12...upon first getting the rifle I couldn't hold moa @ 100. Took the stock off and noticed the stock was inlet for a single pin (with reguard to barrel action junction ) however this has a double pin which was not inlet for. I carved out a place for the second pin and bedded the action can now shoot just above 1/2 moa @ 200. Don't know if mine was a fluke or something hope this helps you </div></div>

nc, just how badly was the TR shooting before you did the stock work?

I have a .22 TR that is a tackdriver, so I picked up a new 93R17 TR to match it. But this .17 will not shoot ANYTHING under 2" AT 25YDS. I mean to tell ya, this thing prints like a damn .410 shotgun...just TERRIBLE. Was your .17 <span style="font-style: italic">that bad</span> before you relieved the stock? I'm about to send mine back to Savage, because something is VERY wrong with mine. Tried different scopes, and five differnt factory ammo types and one is worse than the next...
Any chance you could post a pic of where you relieved your stock? I'd much prefer to tinker & fix myself before sending it off. but I still have a sneaking feeling this barrel is fawked...
THANKS!

Knockemdown it was like 2~2.75 @ 100 depending on ammo. I can email you photos if you can give me your email address ( posting pictures here is tough to do w this phone )

THANK YOU, sir!
PM coming...

I'm having similar results, 1.5/2 moa at 100. Tried all the different types of ammo i can get my hands on, 17 vmax is the best so far. I'm seriously thinking about trading it in on a cz 455 precision trainer and getting the 17 barrel. To be honest though, the barrel is not free floated very well but i think it should shoot better than that to start with.

Here's a very good article comparing three .17's (including a Savage).
http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_varmint_rifles.htm
One thing to note...average group size is around 1", maybe slightly more (best was around 5/8"...but 2" was not uncommon with some ammo's.
A word of warning to those who are having issues...there's a lot of people claiming 1/2" all day long, right out of the box.
If true...they would be on a competitive team or on their local Police Dept tact team.
Internet claims are nothing without proof.
It's a beef of mine.

I would definitely take the stock off to make sure the pins have clearance. My savage TR was shooting 5-6" groups at 50 yards. I checked the clearance, and the clearance was there, but the pins weren't centered. I centered the pins and it shot about half-inch groups at the same distance.

The pins are the first thing I would check. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CZbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a very good article comparing three .17's (including a Savage).
One thing to note...average group size is around 1", maybe slightly more (best was around 5/8"...but 2" was not uncommon with some ammo's.
A word of warning to those who are having issues...there's a lot of people claiming 1/2" all day long, right out of the box.
If true...they would be on a competitive team or on their local Police Dept tact team.
It's a beef of mine. </div></div>

LOL ok, so lets assume that I with my 17 HMR can shoot .5 moa groups, that means I should be chosen over every other applicant for a job as a police marksman based on your logic, right?

AH, remember the ol' days where we we lucky to get 3" at 50 yards and 35 out of a box of 50 rounds to actually fire?

now everyone want to open the box, mount a scope, and shoot under an inch at 100 yards.

i wouldn't go selling it because of 1.5" 100 yard groups isn't meeting the hype. with a little tweeking, finding an ammo it likes, spending time getting familiar with the rifle, and no wind conditions, my expectations would be .75" to 1.25" in REALITY.

sure you have the 1/2 moa stuff floating around and some that have the evidence of it, but day to day, week to week, i wouldn't consistantly expect 1/2 MOA from anything, including a CF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CZbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a very good article comparing three .17's (including a Savage).
It's a beef of mine. </div></div>

LOL ok, so lets assume that I with my 17 HMR can shoot .5 moa groups, that means I should be chosen over every other applicant for a job as a police marksman based on your logic, right?
</div></div>

Jello, not picking on anyone in particular, but I've know a lot of people claiming amazing groups, but once at the range the excuses run from "gee, she needs a good cleaning" to the ever popular "I'm just having an off day".
Again...anyone shooting CONSISTENTLY 1/2" MOA is either fibbing or measures their groups differently than I do.
I see people shooting 10 shots that have a central grouping of 1/2" and a couple of shots an inch away...in a competition you don't get to discount the 'flyers'.
It's a 1.5" group.

My 93R17 BTVS wouldn't group any better than 1MOA. When I pulled the action out of the stock, I found out why.

The stock/action interface is a hot mess. The barrel pin was hitting unevenly causing the barrel to list to starboard. The floorplate is made out of tinfoil and doesn't allow consistent torque. Savage does much better work with their center fires for sure.

Needs some inletting and a good bedding job. I'm not in the position where I have the time to mess with it, so I'm just going to sell it and find something else. Probably a CZ455 Varmint next time. Those are real purdy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9 power isn't too good for trying to shoot small groups at 100yds </div></div>

crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9 power isn't too good for trying to shoot small groups at 100yds </div></div>

Doesn't really matter what power it is if you put the two crossy sticks in the same spot every time. I have a 3-9 SWFA SS on mine and it rarely gets cranked up to 9x. Here is the first 100 yard group that I put down range after I bed the action into a Tacticool stock. My bottom metal had not come in yet, and the action screws were barely torqued. The underpowered 3-9 is what held me back though
laugh.gif

IMAG0117.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Btillr, did the accuraccy improve with round count? </div></div>

Its been a solid shooter from day 1, I just shot a.375 5rnd (50yd)group the other day. I will try to shoot a group and get you a picture over the weekend

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnypunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine groups 5 under a dime at 100 yrds. I'm also shooting suppressed which I think helps accuracy. I have only shot the 17gn Hornaday Vmax and it loves that ammo. You guns is def capable of sub-moa accuracy. Anything within 300 yards fears me when I have this gun around. Dead accurate at decent rimfire distance. Furthest confirmed kill was a prarie dog at 315 with 10mph wind. </div></div>

He also punts bunnys, so i'd be careful of taking advice from him....J/K I actually witnessed the prarie dog shot and if i hadn't seen it and ranged it for him i'd call bs.

Is your trigger heavy? use the tool they sent you with and lighten it up.

Been fishing in Montana and off the grid. The purpose of my original post was to find out if I got a POS. Sounds like its not too bad and there is a path for improving it. Thanks for the input. I'll check the action pins, Bed it, lighten the trigger, shoot a variety of ammo and practice. I'll be happy with 1 MOA no wind.