• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage accuracy problem....or it just may be me...

LawDog101

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2010
I have a Savage 10fp with a Choate stock. I fit the new stock in August, which too some work to get the stock fit properly. My zero is good and i can usually keep it less than an inch at a hundred. Ammo is hornady match brass with 175smk, 2.8" coal, af 2650 av vel. My reloads.

My problem is that on several occasions my cold bore is down 3" and to the left by 1". Today was the same. Second and third shot were 1" higher and stacked together. Turned the millet trs-1 up 10 clicks and right 4. Couple of clicks later amd i was back to zero. 5 shot group measures right at .6".

I am thinking that if it was the gun or the optics then my sucessive shot post cold bore would also have issues. I am betting it is meand not the gun but a little dialogue from you guys sure would help. Thanks.

LD

Re: Savage accuracy problem....or it just may be me...

I had a thread similar to this just a bit back. Relatively great groups but floaing zero. Long story short it's most likely you. Your form is most likely lacking Consistency.

Sounds like a cold shooter issue and not a cold bore issue to me as well.
Dry fire perfectly 10 times in a row before you take your next CBS.

Thanks guys. I have no problem admitting that its me notthe rifle. Shoots straight after a few rounds. Very consistent out to 300+. I am still working my way to longer distances. Scope does well too. After rezero today, i moved back to 200y and it shot well, grouping slightly over an inch for 3 rounds then i ripped off 5 more shots that sucked. All me. Will try the pre shot practice. Anything will help.

LD

Good advice... try dry firing beforehand.

Also, how is your cleaning method? Are you leaving gobs of oil in the barrel from the previous shoot?

That dry fire will help heat up cold shooter for sure. Has to be GOOD dry fire though. Don't break the shot if you feel like it's not right.

I found when I am shooting groups, I like to dryfire 5-10 times before the first group and then 5-10 times between each subsequent group. It has helped my form (and group consistency) a lot. Some of the guys at the local range look at me funny for it, but they are usually the ones with the cheapest scope and ammo you can buy and are wondering why they shoot 5-6" (or larger) groups at 100.

Try not cleaning your barrel till you loose accuracy. It will help the cold bore. And like the OP said dry fire. Use a good Bi-pod and a bag that is comfortable to you. I dry fire in the living room on the floor all the time if I don't that Flinch Grinch will come from behind and bite me..

Yup, sorry to say but sounds like your anticpating the recoil on the first shot for sure. Just relax take your time.