• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage Accutrigger Problem

lencomatt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
COS, CO
So I guess its my week to have problems with just about everything I own, scope broke last saturday, my can won't stay tight and now my new Savage trigger seems broken. I bought a 10FCP-SR, the accustock model with AI DBM, I took it out last weekend to break it in and the paralax adjudtment broke on the scope so it went blurry. No big deal there I wanted a new one anyways. So I figured I'd put some through it to start the barrel break in, the first shot the bolt was very tight to open so I changed to a different load and put 4 more through it. Well I got it out to clean it and change the scope and afterwards I closed the bolt and the trigger locked like when you pull the shoe and not the sear release. So I tried it again very softly and it did it again. I removed the stock and adjusted the Accutrigger all the way heavy and it locks about half the time. I turned it back light and everytime no matter how soft you close it it locks. Anybody else have this problem before? There is a lot of grease on the trigger, would that be a problem? Thanks

Re: Savage Accutrigger Problem

Sorry to bear bad news, but Savage is going to need to rework your trigger.

For whatever reason, the sear isn't properly engaging the trigger notch. I don't think grease there would cause it. My guess is the sear isn't sharpened properly, or the geometry of the notch is wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to bear bad news, but Savage is going to need to rework your trigger.

For whatever reason, the sear isn't properly engaging the trigger notch. I don't think grease there would cause it. My guess is the sear isn't sharpened properly, or the geometry of the notch is wrong. </div></div>

Agreed. Send it to Savage. They have excellent customer service and even if they didn't, a firearms company would be suicidal to not fix a trigger issue immediately.

Yeah i was planning on calling them Monday and sending it back. This is the 4th Accutrigger rifle I've had and this is the first time i had any problem. I was just mainly curious if anybody else had ever heard of the problem, i can't say I've ever heard of a problem with the Accutrigger before.

i have the 10pc carbine and have never had a problem.send her back.there are 3 levels of accutrigger thats out there so maybe the factory screwed up.i cut the spring on my accutrigger so if i close the bolt really hard it will lock the shoe up and not function correctly kinda sounds like thats what your having problems with.

I think we've all heard about accutriggers "locking up", but NOT when it is adjusted for max pull weight. The issue usually manifests itself at the bottom end. Mine wil do this down around 10oz or so - well below where I care to have it set.

On the bright side, it is VERY safe, as the accurelease (the little blade inside the trigger) blocks the sear from coming home and discharging the rifle. I like the accutrigger, personally. Sorry you're having trouble, I'm sure they'll fix her right up!

Just replace it with a rifle basix. It's only going to fail again down the road

That "blade" is a PITA on my 10BA. I've had 4 or 5 occasions where the trigger was pulled PROPERLY and the hammer fell without hitting the primer.

I read a blurb from Savage that the problem is caused by pulling the trigger sideways... nonsense. I TRIED to do it dozens and dozens of times by pulling the trigger "wrong" and it never happened. I think that after 50 years I can pull a trigger as well as I can find a tit in the dark.

The trigger has problems.

You can send it to Savage or buy an aftermarket trigger. Personally, I'd buy the aftermarket trigger. You can look at Sharpshooter supply (crummy customer service, but if they have one in stock, its a moot point) or Rifle basix.

I really like my Sharpshooter supply trigger. Easily adjustable and nice and smooth.

Never had any trouble with my Accutriggers (3 of them).

I will say that sometimes you have to adjust the stock inlet a bit, because of the very rear of the AT binds up then that will "lock up" the trigger.

Had to modify two BC A2 Medalists *and* a Manners T2 for this...took 15 seconds with a Dremel, no big deal.

I cleaned the assembly grease off it and it looks like where the sear meets the trigger it should have a nice sharp 90, but this one is a 45 degree edge. So it really has no chance of holding. I also adjusted it all the way heavy and put the pull gauge on it and it started at 2lbs and got worse as I dry fired it. It took about 6 dry fires to get down around 1lbs 6oz and I quit messing with it. So it looks like the trigger didn't get heat treated right. So I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they will send me a trigger instead of sending the whole rifle back.