• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage axis? any good for the $$

gman4955

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2011
Mackay Qld australia
Are the savage axis any good? Are they about the same accuracy as the other more expensive models? If I bought a axis then got the accutrigger is it gunna be as good as other savage models?

Thanks everyone..

Re: savage axis? any good for the $$

Did you even attempt to search the site for the other 50 times this has been asked?

The answer is no.

They are a decent hunting rifle that you can't upgrade. you can't put an accutrigger in it, you may find an aftermarket eventually, but it would not be worth it.

Buy a Stevens. It is basically a pre-accutrigger savage.

i love my axis / edge in 223 sub moa. easy triger mod found on the hide heading out tomarow to try some new loads for the money great shooter yes theres no after market support as of yet but i also did not have the funds for mutch more when i bought it
but i also like taking cheep fire arms and out shooting hi dollar rifles, heck thursday im picking up 2 of the new mossberg trek rifles in 308 for my son and i to tinker with

as said, its not really easy to upgrade. doesnt use a typical lug set up, there are no stocks for it. and as said, try a stevens for better chance to upgrade later. plenty of Aussies on the site as well so you will find a few new people to shoot with im sure

and yes, pretty much everything has been asked at least once here. there is a search box on both sides of the page, one is stock, the other is a google search for this site.

sucks all the sa cals are on a loooooong action,the mag release WILL break off,I think the stevens 200 is a better budget rifle,even better and just a few more bucks would be the marlin"savage" x7/x7s? comes with a accu type/style trigger AND a pic base,ymmv

My brother in law bought an Axis 30-06 for deer hunting this year topped with a junk Simmons scope and I was suprised. I sighted in for him and shot a 3 shot group at 100yds that was just over 1/2 inch with silver box 150gr Winchester ammo. The trigger is a horrible 7-8lbs and the mag jammed bad after I tried to insert it incorrectly but got it sorted out without breaking it. For a cheap hunting rig it should be ok, way better than the Remington 770 or others. If you plan on keeping or upgrading, the Stevens is a way better value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the Stevens 200 better. Cheaper and parts compatible with regular Savage. </div></div>
+1 to this..

My buddy bought a .270 Axis and it was getting about 2" at a 100 the first day we got it using some old Win and Rem hunting loads. It may be better with some decent ammo but I would consider the one he has as a 300 yard rifle. I would'nt buy one to upgrade though. With all the lower end Rem 700's selling new in the $500 range I'd grab one of them first especially if I had plans to customize it all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nicksoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i love my axis / edge in 223 sub moa. easy triger mod found on the hide heading out tomarow to try some new loads for the money great shooter yes theres no after market support as of yet but i also did not have the funds for mutch more when i bought it
<span style="color: #CC0000">but i also like taking cheep fire arms and out shooting hi dollar rifles,</span> heck thursday im picking up 2 of the new mossberg trek rifles in 308 for my son and i to tinker with </div></div>

Oh for fuck's sake! Fucking fanboys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nicksoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i love my axis / edge in 223 sub moa. easy triger mod found on the hide heading out tomarow to try some new loads for the money great shooter yes theres no after market support as of yet but i also did not have the funds for mutch more when i bought it
<span style="color: #CC0000">but i also like taking cheep fire arms and out shooting hi dollar rifles,</span> heck thursday im picking up 2 of the new mossberg trek rifles in 308 for my son and i to tinker with </div></div>

Oh for fuck's sake! Fucking fanboys. </div></div>

what not evey one with deep pockets can shoot some just buy the most hi dollar gizmo and think they can shoot i like to prove that its not always the tool that gets the job done first you have to know what ur doing
if u learn to shoot good on a budget then when you can afford the hi dollar stuff [kids out of house and wife can figure out a budget] the better you are. quit bashing cause some one here car shoot a lower class gun, hand load and make it work

You have a Savage Axis that I can only assume you bought in 2011, and you are going out tomorrow to buy 2 Mossbergs. After saying that, you have the nerve to call out guys with deep pockets and no skill? Some people don't have deep pockets at all, and own the best that money can buy because they save their money and spend wisely. Some of those uppity assholes can actually shoot that high dollar equipment. If you ever meet one of those guys maybe he will shed some light on the fact that bargain rifles are good deer hunting rifles for the one buck a year club. This so called bashing has already been hashed out a couple months ago in another "what's wrong with a Savage?" thread. Same old arguement goes round and round like a broken record. You clearly have disdain for people who own high dollar rigs. I simply cannot let that disdain go unanswered.
If you can't tell the difference between a high dollar rig and a rifle you can pick up at Wal-Mart then I am left to question whether you know as much as you think.

one day i do hope to have a nice custom built rifle but for now i shoot what i can afford as for the purchase of two mossbergs is so my young sone and i can have fun shooting matching rifles and teach him some basics and i have shot $2500 rifles they are nice and the owner way impressed with what my budget rifle could do never said my were beter but there are some people who buy just to say they have it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nicksoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i love my axis / edge in 223 sub moa. easy triger mod found on the hide heading out tomarow to try some new loads for the money great shooter yes theres no after market support as of yet but i also did not have the funds for mutch more when i bought it
but i also like taking cheep fire arms and out shooting hi dollar rifles, heck thursday im picking up 2 of the new mossberg trek rifles in 308 for my son and i to tinker with </div></div>

I think its great that you want to share with your kid, nothing is finer.

But having handled several of these rifles, and shot them on several occasions, I cant believe anyone would "love" one unless it was the first rifle they ever laid eyes on. They have a very cheap feel to them, the trigger would work better as an umbrella than a trigger, the magazine is
eek.gif
, the only good thing about it is that it is inexpensive to purchase. I didn't say cheap because most people would probably keep spending money trying to get it to shoot. I love Savage rifles, but like mentioned already, this one is better suited for the one buck a year club.