• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage barrel change question

thommy152

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2010
After researching savage I realize that you can change calibers by getting a new barrel and bolt face. So lets say i get a .308. That would allow me to change to a .243 by only changing the barrel. But if i wanted to swap to a .223 i would have to get a new barrel and a new bolt face. Am I correct? Finally, is it possible to swap from a short action caliber to a long action caliber such as a 300winmag?

Re: Savage barrel change question

You would also need to address the magazine.If you had a short action you would not be able to go 300 win mag.There was a time Savage didn't make a short action and all their 308s etc were built on the LA.

Okay, so lets say i started off with a long action would that allow me to interchange between long and short action calibers?

From what i've gathered, that is the case, yes, replace the barrel and bolt face dependant on the round, so if you bough a .308 sav you could buy new barrels and switch them out for a .243 or 7-08 without much hassle.
Dont quote me on this, however.

However as for changing the bolt face, ect, i'm not as sure on that. If you get an answer can you let me know please
smile.gif

I believe you are right. As long as you use a cartridge based on the .308 case such as the .243 or the 7mm-08 all you have to do is change barrels. But, if you go to a cartridge with a smaller case such as the .223, 22-250 and all those other, you have to get a new barrel and a new bolt face to accept the different sized case. Also you need a new magazine unless you want to only fire single shots at a time. I think im am right, correct me if i am not. The thing i don't know is how you might switch from short to long action or vice versa.

yes you can switch to 300win mag if you want just get the wsm bolt face for it. i built a 338 edge on a savage short action, it won't be a repeater but it will work just fine as a single shot.

here she is go for it!!!
IMGP6378.jpg

Nice gun! Im about to ask a dumb question but could you possibly covert a .308 short action to a .338 Lapua. I know you couldn't make it cycle with those long cartridges, but would it work as a single shot?

yes but it might be hard to find a lapua bolt face. the 338 edge is actually slightly longer and holds more powder that the 338 lapua plus it uses standard magnum bolt face so it would be alot easier to do or you could just do 338 ultra mag it is only slightly smaller than the lapua.

Note to self you will have to remove the bolt to eject a loaded round if you don't fire it. it will eject fired casings fine but loaded rds are a bit longer so must be pulled out the back. not a big deal but thought you might want to know.

If you really want a long action and don't want to go to the trouble of trying to sell a barrel in case you can only find something like 25-06 or something you don't think you would ever use: go to savageshooters.com and sign up, look in their vendor classifieds for a company named Northland. He has Actions only for sale. Give him a call ( he has no website) and he can discuss all options with you and can send you everything you'd need including an aftermarket barrel for a similar price to a new rifle that you plan on scrapping parts of anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavScout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you really want a long action and don't want to go to the trouble of trying to sell a barrel in case you can only find something like 25-06 or something you don't think you would ever use: go to savageshooters.com and sign up, look in their vendor classifieds for a company named Northland. He has Actions only for sale. Give him a call ( he has no website) and he can discuss all options with you and can send you everything you'd need including an aftermarket barrel for a similar price to a new rifle that you plan on scrapping parts of anyway. </div></div>

+1 for Jim at Northland Shooting Supply. I bought a couple of of McGowen barrels froms him for around $300. Really nice guy and will walk you through things.

It is possible to switch to .338 lapua.. I am in the process of building one on a 110 long action that was a 270 from the factory.. Since Savage now offers a 338 Lapua from the factory a bolt face is now available.. I ordered mine about a month ago and got it about a week later.. You must have a FFL to get one tho..

If you get a long action with a magazine that is setup for the 30-06 based cases (25-06, 270, 280, 30-06, etc) then you will have no trouble feeding 308's or any of it's derivatives in a long action Savage. It will also buy you enough extra space to run the long, heavy bullets out to the lands. There's a growing following of guys shooting 308's with the 210gr bullet class and RL17 for improved wind characteristics, this is virtually impossible to do with a short action and feeding from the magazine.

The feed rails and mag follower in the Long Action Magnum boxes may give problems for feeding the 308 based cases, but this I'm not sure of since I've never done it. It will certainly have issues feeding a 223 case without modifications.

this just in... ok, if i was gonna switch barrels, i would shorten the base so i could get at the barrel nut without taking the base off everytime. thats my one gripe with the bases. both my ferrel and my EGW were that way. great bases, bugt that 1/4"-1/2" overhang could go and i could swap barrels faster, one less step in not having to take the vase off. maybe im just lazy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this just in... ok, if i was gonna switch barrels, i would shorten the base so i could get at the barrel nut without taking the base off everytime. thats my one gripe with the bases. both my ferrel and my EGW were that way. great bases, bugt that 1/4"-1/2" overhang could go and i could swap barrels faster, one less step in not having to take the vase off. maybe im just lazy </div></div>

Axe-

I would trim that base down in a heartbeat. You have much better return to zero with good rings when you don't move the base.